Research & Publications
The objective that guides Dr. Paltiel's scholarly activities is to promote a reasoned approach to decision making and resource allocation in public health and medicine. Trained in the field of Operations Research, Dr. Paltiel designs and implements policy models and cost-effectiveness analyses. He has a special interest and expertise in HIV/AIDS and has published broadly on the cost-effectiveness of testing, prevention, treatment, and care, both in the United States and around the world.
Education & Training
- PhDYale University, Operations Research (1992)
- MBAYale University (1985)
- BAMcGill University (1981)
- Cost-effectiveness of Packages of Interventions in Maternal-Child Health and MalnutritionMirria, Niger 2016Cost and cost-effectiveness analysis of packages of nutrition and other health-promotion interventions implemented by NGO partners in Niger with a target population of 9000 children & Mothers.
- HIV, Developing countriesAbidjan, Ivory Coast; Cape Town, South Africa; Chennai, India 2010Optimizing HIV Care in Less Developing Countries
- Health ManagementMilan, Italy 2008Professor Paltiel conducted instructional programs in health management.
- HIV Testing GuidelinesParis, France; Lisbon, Portugal 2008Professor Paltiel works closely with the French Ministry of Health and the health surveillance branch of the French government to help them promulgate their first-ever national guidelines for routine HIV testing.
- HIV Prevention and Care Cost-EffectivenessCape Town, South Africa; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 2008With colleagues in South Africa, Professor Paltiel has researched and published on the cost-effectiveness of alternative HIV prevention and patient care interventions.
Honors & Recognition
|Connecticut Academy of Science and Engineering||2014|
|Committee on Pain Management and Regulatory Strategies to Address Prescription Opioid Abuse, National Academy of Medicine||Member||2016 - 2017|
|Agence Nationale de Recherches sur le SIDA et les Hépatites Virales (ANRS)||Member||2009 - 2014|
|Committee on Review of Priorities in the National Vaccine Plan, Institute of Medicine||Member||2008 - 2009|
|Committee on the Role of Community-Based Mitigation Strategies During an Influenza Pandemic, Institute of Medicine||Member||2006 - 2007|
|National Institutes of Health||Study Section BSPH (Behavioral and Social Science Approaches to Preventing HIV/AIDS)||2005 - 2008|
|Institute of Medicine, Committee on the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief [PEPFAR] Implementation Evaluation.||Member||2005 - 2007|
|Institute of Medicine, Committee on the Ryan White CARE Act: Data for Resource Allocation, Planning and Evaluation.||Member||2002 - 2004|
|Value in Health||One of 6 Founding Co-Editors||1999 - 2005|
|Medical Decision Making||Associate Editor||1998 - 2001|