Research & Publications
Chief Division of Cardiac Surgery at Yale and Surgeon-in-chief, Cardiac Surgery, Yale-New Haven Health System.
Surgical Director Advanced Heart Failure, Heart Transplant and Mechanical Support, Yale-New Haven Health System.
Raised and received his medical education in Iceland. Trained in General Surgery at Yale University and Cardiothoracic Surgery at University of Pennsylvania, 1998-2007. Faculty at Yale from 2007 until 2013 as Director of Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery. Lived in Iceland from 2013-2016 and worked as Cardiothoracic Surgeon at Landspitali University Hospital, Reykjavik, Iceland. Returned to Yale in 2016 and appointed as Chief, Division of Cardiac Surgery, Yale in 2017.
Maintains a very busy clinical practice which focuses on minimally invasive cardiac surgery and valve surgery, including robotic mitral valve repair and aortic valve repair. Performed the first minimally right thoracotomy mitral valve surgery at YNHH in 2009 and first robotic mitral valve surgery at YNHH in 2018. Research focus includes basic and clinical science research in mitral valve prolapse and aortic aneurysm disease.
Education & Training
- Chief ResidentHospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA (2007)
- ResidentHospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA (2006)
- FellowHospital of University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA (2005)
- ResidentYale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT (2005)
- Chief ResidentYale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT (2005)
- FellowYale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT (2002)
- Postdoctoral FellowYale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT (2002)
- InternYale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT (1999)
- InternLandspitali University Hospital, Reykjavik, Iceland (1998)
- MDUniversity of Iceland (1997)
Departments & Organizations
- Cardiac Surgery
- Geirsson Lab
- Heart Failure Program
- Heart Transplant and Left Ventricular Assist Device Program
- Robotic Mitral Valve Repair Program
- Vascular Biology and Therapeutics Program
- Yale Medicine