Digestive System Diseases; Food Deprivation; Hunger; Sensory Receptor Cells; Overnutrition; Glucose Metabolism Disorders; Lipid Metabolism Disorders; Craving
The lab studies gut to brain signaling of the vagus nerve in the control of food intake. Our current focus is on developing new tools to selectively target vagal afferent neurons that innervate the gut and applying these tools in models of diet-induced obesity. The overall goal is to determine whether manipulating vagal gut-brain signaling can be a viable treatment of obesity.
Leptin resistance in vagal afferent neurons inhibits cholecystokinin signaling and satiation in diet induced obese rats.
de Lartigue G, Barbier de la Serre C, Espero E, Lee J, Raybould HE. Leptin resistance in vagal afferent neurons inhibits cholecystokinin signaling and satiation in diet induced obese rats. PloS One 2012, 7:e32967.
Deletion of leptin signaling in vagal afferent neurons results in hyperphagia and obesity.
de Lartigue G, Ronveaux CC, Raybould HE. Deletion of leptin signaling in vagal afferent neurons results in hyperphagia and obesity. Molecular Metabolism 2014, 3:595-607.
Chronic exposure to low dose bacterial lipopolysaccharide inhibits leptin signaling in vagal afferent neurons.
de La Serre CB, de Lartigue G, Raybould HE. Chronic exposure to low dose bacterial lipopolysaccharide inhibits leptin signaling in vagal afferent neurons. Physiology & Behavior 2015, 139:188-94.
Role of the vagus nerve in the development and treatment of diet-induced obesity.
de Lartigue G. Role of the vagus nerve in the development and treatment of diet-induced obesity. The Journal Of Physiology 2016, 594:5791-5815.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- de Lartigue G, Xu C: Mechanisms of vagal plasticity influencing feeding behavior. Brain Res. 2018 Aug 15. PMID: 29903616
- de Lartigue G, McDougle M: Dorsal striatum dopamine oscillations: setting the pace of food anticipatory activity. Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2018 Jun 19; 2018 Jun 19. PMID: 29920950
- Suarez AN, Hsu TM, Liu CM, Noble EE, Cortella AM, Nakamoto EM, Hahn JD, de Lartigue G, Kanoski SE: Gut vagal sensory signaling regulates hippocampus function through multi-order pathways. Nat Commun. 2018 Jun 5; 2018 Jun 5. PMID: 29872139
- Langhans W, Adan R, Arnold M, Banks WA, Card JP, Dailey MJ, Daniels D, de Kloet AD, de Lartigue G, Dickson S, Fedele S, Grill HJ, Jansson JO, Kaufman S, Kolar G, Krause E, Lee SJ, Le Foll C, Levin BE, Lutz TA, Mansouri A, Moran TH, Pacheco-López G, Ramachandran D, Raybould H, Rinaman L, Samson WK, Sanchez-Watts G, Seeley RJ, Skibicka KP, Small D, Spector AC, Tamashiro KL, Templeton B, Trapp S, Tso P, Watts AG, Weissfeld N, Williams D, Wolfrum C, Yosten G, Woods SC: New horizons for future research - Critical issues to consider for maximizing research excellence and impact. Mol Metab. 2018 May 12; 2018 May 12. PMID: 29886182
- Diepenbroek C, Quinn D, Stephens R, Zollinger B, Anderson S, Pan A, de Lartigue G: Validation and characterization of a novel method for selective vagal deafferentation of the gut. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2017 Oct 1; 2017 Jul 13. PMID: 28705805
- Beyder A, de Lartigue G, Ghia JE, Hoffman JM: XIVth Little Brain Big Brain: next-generation enteric neuroscience. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2017 Mar; 2017 Jan 5. PMID: 28053339
- de Lartigue G, Diepenbroek C: Novel developments in vagal afferent nutrient sensing and its role in energy homeostasis. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2016 Dec; 2016 Sep 2. PMID: 27591963
- de Lartigue G: Role of the vagus nerve in the development and treatment of diet-induced obesity. J Physiol. 2016 Oct 15; 2016 May 29. PMID: 26959077