Public Health Interests
Internal Medicine: Subset Medical Oncology Faculty
Some of Dr. Weiss' ongoing research includes the development of new immunotherapeutic strategies for patients with melanoma and renal cell carcinoma whose disease has progressed on standard immunotherapy.
Extensive Research Description
Dr. Weiss joined the Melanoma and Renal Cell Carcinoma Disease Aligned Research Team at Yale in August 2016 and has a growing clinical practice. Her primary research interests are to develop innovative clinical trials for the management of advanced melanoma and renal cell carcinoma, and to identify and integrate prognostic and predictive biomarkers into clinical practice. She is currently the site Principal Investigator on several clinical trials including a study of Apexigen’s CD40 agonist in combination with nivolumab in patients with melanoma who are resistant to PD-1 immune checkpoint inhibitors. This has led to an investigator-initiated clinical trial protocol that Dr. Weiss wrote based off of preclinical work conducted in the Kaech and Bosenberg laboratories here at Yale, aimed at overcoming resistance to PD-1/PD-L1 agents by targeting both the innate and adaptive immune systems with a triple combination of a CD40 agonist, CSF1R inhibitor, and PD-1 inhibitor.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Weiss SA, Wolchok JD, Sznol M: Immunotherapy of Melanoma: Facts and Hopes. Clin Cancer Res. 2019 Mar 28; 2019 Mar 28. PMID: 30923036
- Kim JM, Materin MA, Sznol M, Kluger HM, Weiss S, Chow J, Stoessel K, Kombo N, Del Priore L, Pointdujour-Lim R: Ophthalmic Immune-Related Adverse Events of Immunotherapy: A Single-Site Case Series. Ophthalmology. 2019 Feb 6; 2019 Feb 6. PMID: 30735682
- Kluger HM, Chiang V, Mahajan A, Zito CR, Sznol M, Tran T, Weiss SA, Cohen JV, Yu J, Hegde U, Perrotti E, Anderson G, Ralabate A, Kluger Y, Wei W, Goldberg SB, Jilaveanu LB: Long-Term Survival of Patients With Melanoma With Active Brain Metastases Treated With Pembrolizumab on a Phase II Trial. J Clin Oncol. 2019 Jan 1; 2018 Nov 8. PMID: 30407895
- Stamatouli AM, Quandt Z, Perdigoto AL, Clark PL, Kluger H, Weiss SA, Gettinger S, Sznol M, Young A, Rushakoff R, Lee J, Bluestone JA, Anderson M, Herold KC: Collateral Damage: Insulin-Dependent Diabetes Induced With Checkpoint Inhibitors. Diabetes. 2018 Aug; 2018 Jun 24. PMID: 29937434
- Jilaveanu LB, Puligandla M, Weiss SA, Wang XV, Zito C, Flaherty KT, Boeke M, Neumeister V, Camp RL, Adeniran A, Pins M, Manola J, DiPaola RS, Haas NB, Kluger HM: Tumor Microvessel Density as a Prognostic Marker in High-Risk Renal Cell Carcinoma Patients Treated on ECOG-ACRIN E2805. Clin Cancer Res. 2018 Jan 1; 2017 Oct 24. PMID: 29066509
- Weiss SA, Kluger HM: From the Guest Editors: Recent Advances and Evolving Challenges in Treating Unresectable Melanoma. Cancer J. 2017 Jan/Feb. PMID: 28114248
- Bordia R, Zhong H, Lee J, Weiss S, Han SW, Osman I, Jain R: Melanoma brain metastases: correlation of imaging features with genomic markers and patient survival. J Neurooncol. 2017 Jan; 2016 Nov 7. PMID: 27822597
- Guo JN, Kim R, Chen Y, Negishi M, Jhun S, Weiss S, Ryu JH, Bai X, Xiao W, Feeney E, Rodriguez-Fernandez J, Mistry H, Crunelli V, Crowley MJ, Mayes LC, Constable RT, Blumenfeld H: Impaired consciousness in patients with absence seizures investigated by functional MRI, EEG, and behavioural measures: a cross-sectional study. Lancet Neurol. 2016 Dec. PMID: 27839650