Cardiology; Endothelium; Immune System; Inflammation; Macrophages; T-Lymphocytes; RNA Stability
Defining cellular, molecular and immunological mechanisms governing leukocyte-endothelial cell (EC) interactions and endothelial dysfunction, and testing these molecular discoveries in animal vascular pathology models, include studies of:
- molecular mechanisms of intercellular adhesion;
- leukocyte-mediated vascular injury;
- influence of ovarian steroid hormones on endothelial activation; and
- effects of lipid abnormalities associated with the metabolic syndrome on angiogenesis.
Studying the integrin LFA-1 as a transmembrane signaling molecule in T lymphocytes and macrophages, evaluating nuclear targets and stabilization of activation mRNAs encoding cytokines and chemokines involved in atherogenesis, plaque instability, allograft rejection and angiogenesis; also using recently generated mice with leukocyte-specific, integrin-induced, mRNA regulatory gene deletions. Studying the effects of 17b-estradiol on rapid, novel membrane estrogen receptor-mediated signaling in EC, leading to nitric oxide synthase activation. Newest interest is “molecular imaging”, merging in vivo imaging methods with basic biologic principles to evaluate disease mechanisms and progression.
Specialized Terms: Inflammatory, Immune, Metabolic and Hormonal Effects on the Endothelium
Extensive Research Description
My laboratory has had a longstanding interest in inflammation and immunity, as they relate to vascular physiology and pathology. The interactions between mononuclear leukocytes and endothelial cells play major roles in atherogenesis, acute and chronic manifestations of atherosclerosis, angiogenesis and allograft rejection. We have extended these studies to evaluating effects of ovarian steroid hormones on endothelial function. The work is performed at the cellular, molecular, and pre-clinical animal model levels. Our major efforts are directed at:
(1) Integrin-dependent leukocyte adhesion and T cell/macrophage gene expression.
We have discovered that when β2 integrins are engaged in T lymphocytes, labile mRNAs that are normally rapidly degraded are markedly stabilized. This includes transcripts encoding many immune and pro-inflammatory cytokines, such as TNF, IFN-γ, IL-1, and IL-17. We have defined the signal transduction cascade, which involves Rho family GTPases, and modulation of select RNA-binding proteins, most notably HuR. Through proteomics approaches, we have recently defined integrin-induced nuclear protein-protein interactions, which we believe will be important targets for molecular therapeutics. In addition to our studies on cells of the adaptive immune system, we have recently extended our work to innate immune cells, namely monocyte/macrophages. Many of the aforementioned signaling events occur in these cells as well. Relevant integrin-stabilized mRNAs in macrophages include those encoding angiogenic molecules, such as VEGF, MMPs and angiopoietins, and many of the pro-inflammatory molecules mentioned above. To determine the role of this adhesion-induced mRNA stabilization mechanism in vivo, we have recently targeted the HuR gene, and are using tissue-specific knockout mice for pre-clinical studies.
Macrophage-specific HuR knockouts indeed have prominent angiogenic defects in response to inflammation or ischemia. Vascular remodeling, atherosclerosis and allograft rejection models are being developed with these genetically modified animals.
(2) Influence of ovarian steroid hormones on endothelial activation and endothelial progenitor cell function.
The effects of estrogen on the endothelium remains a major question, despite clinical controversies regarding hormone replacement therapy in postmenopausal women, We have defined a splice form of estrogen receptor (ER)α, ER46, that is plasma membrane-targeted in endothelial cells and which initiates rapid signaling responses, leading to eNOS activation, nitric oxide release and vasodilation in vivo. Most recently, we have used a variety of cell imaging techniques, including FRET and TIRF microscopy, to demonstrate that ER46 has transmembrane spanning and ectodomains, and multiple membrane pools. This has never been described for a steroid hormone receptor, and provides a tremendous opportunity for differential therapeutic targeting.
(3) Effects of metabolic syndrome-associated lipids on endothelial function.
We have recently defined a series of endothelial cell signaling defects imparted by free fatty acids, leading to a state of "VEGF resistance", and greatly impaired responses to angiogenic growth factors. We have documented a mechanistic role of ceramide generation, in vitro, and demonstrated that such lipids cause impaired angiogenic responses to hindlimb ischemia in murine models. Current studies include mapping the cellular and molecular defects, those which occur both at the plasma membrane and Golgi.
Rac2 Modulates Atherosclerotic Calcification by Regulating Macrophage Interleukin-1β Production.
Ceneri N, Zhao L, Young BD, Healy A, Coskun S, Vasavada H, Yarovinsky TO, Ike K, Pardi R, Qin L, Qin L, Tellides G, Hirschi K, Meadows J, Soufer R, Chun HJ, Sadeghi M, Bender JR, Morrison AR. Rac2 Modulates Atherosclerotic Calcification by Regulating Macrophage Interleukin-1β Production. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, And Vascular Biology 2017, 37:328-340. 2017
Chemokine-coupled β2 integrin-induced macrophage Rac2-Myosin IIA interaction regulates VEGF-A mRNA stability and arteriogenesis.
Morrison AR, Yarovinsky TO, Young BD, Moraes F, Ross TD, Ceneri N, Zhang J, Zhuang ZW, Sinusas AJ, Pardi R, Schwartz MA, Simons M, Bender JR. Chemokine-coupled β2 integrin-induced macrophage Rac2-Myosin IIA interaction regulates VEGF-A mRNA stability and arteriogenesis. The Journal Of Experimental Medicine 2014, 211:1957-68. 2014
Ceramide-activated phosphatase mediates fatty acid-induced endothelial VEGF resistance and impaired angiogenesis.
Mehra VC, Jackson E, Zhang XM, Jiang XC, Dobrucki LW, Yu J, Bernatchez P, Sinusas AJ, Shulman GI, Sessa WC, Yarovinsky TO, Bender JR. Ceramide-activated phosphatase mediates fatty acid-induced endothelial VEGF resistance and impaired angiogenesis. The American Journal Of Pathology 2014, 184:1562-76. 2014
Endothelial estrogen receptor isoforms and cardiovascular disease.
Kim KH, Young BD, Bender JR. Endothelial estrogen receptor isoforms and cardiovascular disease. Molecular And Cellular Endocrinology 2014, 389:65-70. 2014
The PAR complex controls the spatiotemporal dynamics of F-actin and the MTOC in directionally migrating leukocytes.
Crespo CL, Vernieri C, Keller PJ, Garrè M, Bender JR, Wittbrodt J, Pardi R. The PAR complex controls the spatiotemporal dynamics of F-actin and the MTOC in directionally migrating leukocytes. Journal Of Cell Science 2014, 127:4381-95. 2014
Silver lining in the dark cloud of aneurysm disease.
Chau KH, Bender JR, Elefteriades JA. Silver lining in the dark cloud of aneurysm disease. Cardiology 2014, 128:327-32. 2014
Menopause and the Heart
Nkonde-Price, C., Bender, J.R.: Menopause and the Heart, in: H. Taylor, M.J. Minkin, ed., Menopause, Oxford Press, in press.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Usselman CW, Yarovinsky TO, Steele FE, Leone CA, Taylor HS, Bender JR, Stachenfeld NS: Androgens drive microvascular endothelial dysfunction in women with polycystic ovary syndrome: role of the endothelin B receptor. J Physiol. 2019 Jun; 2019 Mar 27. PMID: 30847930
- Rao GK, Wong A, Collinge M, Sarhan J, Yarovinsky TO, Ramgolam VS, Gaestel M, Pardi R, Bender JR: T cell LFA-1-induced proinflammatory mRNA stabilization is mediated by the p38 pathway kinase MK2 in a process regulated by hnRNPs C, H1 and K. PLoS One. 2018; 2018 Jul 26. PMID: 30048492
- Ceneri N, Zhao L, Young BD, Healy A, Coskun S, Vasavada H, Yarovinsky TO, Ike K, Pardi R, Qin L, Qin L, Tellides G, Hirschi K, Meadows J, Soufer R, Chun HJ, Sadeghi MM, Bender JR, Morrison AR: Rac2 Modulates Atherosclerotic Calcification by Regulating Macrophage Interleukin-1β Production. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017 Feb; 2016 Nov 10. PMID: 27834690
- Usselman CW, Stachenfeld NS, Bender JR: The molecular actions of oestrogen in the regulation of vascular health. Exp Physiol. 2016 Mar. PMID: 26778523
- Nkonde-Price C, Bender JR: Menopause and the Heart. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2015 Sep; 2015 Jun 22. PMID: 26316243
- Crespo CL, Vernieri C, Keller PJ, Garrè M, Bender JR, Wittbrodt J, Pardi R: The PAR complex controls the spatiotemporal dynamics of F-actin and the MTOC in directionally migrating leukocytes. J Cell Sci. 2014 Oct 15; 2014 Sep 1. PMID: 25179599
- Morrison AR, Yarovinsky TO, Young BD, Moraes F, Ross TD, Ceneri N, Zhang J, Zhuang ZW, Sinusas AJ, Pardi R, Schwartz MA, Simons M, Bender JR: Chemokine-coupled β2 integrin-induced macrophage Rac2-Myosin IIA interaction regulates VEGF-A mRNA stability and arteriogenesis. J Exp Med. 2014 Sep 22; 2014 Sep 1. PMID: 25180062
- Kim KH, Young BD, Bender JR: Endothelial estrogen receptor isoforms and cardiovascular disease. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2014 May 25; 2014 Feb 11. PMID: 24530925
- Mehra VC, Jackson E, Zhang XM, Jiang XC, Dobrucki LW, Yu J, Bernatchez P, Sinusas AJ, Shulman GI, Sessa WC, Yarovinsky TO, Bender JR: Ceramide-activated phosphatase mediates fatty acid-induced endothelial VEGF resistance and impaired angiogenesis. Am J Pathol. 2014 May; 2014 Mar 5. PMID: 24606881
- Chau KH, Bender JR, Elefteriades JA: Silver lining in the dark cloud of aneurysm disease. Cardiology. 2014; 2014 Jun 17. PMID: 24942201
- Zhang J, Razavian M, Tavakoli S, Nie L, Tellides G, Backer JM, Backer MV, Bender JR, Sadeghi MM: Molecular imaging of vascular endothelial growth factor receptors in graft arteriosclerosis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2012 Aug; 2012 Jun 21. PMID: 22723442
- Zhang J, Modi Y, Yarovinsky T, Yu J, Collinge M, Kyriakides T, Zhu Y, Sessa WC, Pardi R, Bender JR: Macrophage β2 integrin-mediated, HuR-dependent stabilization of angiogenic factor-encoding mRNAs in inflammatory angiogenesis. Am J Pathol. 2012 Apr; 2012 Feb 7. PMID: 22322302
- Kim KH, Toomre D, Bender JR: Splice isoform estrogen receptors as integral transmembrane proteins. Mol Biol Cell. 2011 Nov; 2011 Sep 21. PMID: 21937726
- Ramgolam VS, DeGregorio SD, Rao GK, Collinge M, Subaran SS, Markovic-Plese S, Pardi R, Bender JR: T cell LFA-1 engagement induces HuR-dependent cytokine mRNA stabilization through a Vav-1, Rac1/2, p38MAPK and MKK3 signaling cascade. PLoS One. 2010 Dec 29; 2010 Dec 29. PMID: 21206905
- Zhang J, Silva T, Yarovinsky T, Manes TD, Tavakoli S, Nie L, Tellides G, Pober JS, Bender JR, Sadeghi MM: VEGF blockade inhibits lymphocyte recruitment and ameliorates immune-mediated vascular remodeling. Circ Res. 2010 Aug 6; 2010 Jun 10. PMID: 20538685
- Guo X, Nie L, Esmailzadeh L, Zhang J, Bender JR, Sadeghi MM: Endothelial and smooth muscle-derived neuropilin-like protein regulates platelet-derived growth factor signaling in human vascular smooth muscle cells by modulating receptor ubiquitination. J Biol Chem. 2009 Oct 23; 2009 Aug 19. PMID: 19696027
- Kim KH, Bender JR: Membrane-initiated actions of estrogen on the endothelium. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2009 Sep 24; 2009 Apr 9. PMID: 19549586
- Kim KH, Moriarty K, Bender JR: Vascular cell signaling by membrane estrogen receptors. Steroids. 2008 Oct; 2008 Jan 18. PMID: 18325557
- Li L, Hisamoto K, Kim KH, Haynes MP, Bauer PM, Sanjay A, Collinge M, Baron R, Sessa WC, Bender JR: Variant estrogen receptor-c-Src molecular interdependence and c-Src structural requirements for endothelial NO synthase activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007 Oct 16; 2007 Oct 5. PMID: 17921256
- Sadeghi MM, Bender JR: Activated alphavbeta3 integrin targeting in injury-induced vascular remodeling. Trends Cardiovasc Med. 2007 Jan. PMID: 17210471
- Wang JG, Collinge M, Ramgolam V, Ayalon O, Fan XC, Pardi R, Bender JR: LFA-1-dependent HuR nuclear export and cytokine mRNA stabilization in T cell activation. J Immunol. 2006 Feb 15. PMID: 16455966
- Zhang J, Krassilnikova S, Gharaei AA, Fassaei HR, Esmailzadeh L, Asadi A, Edwards DS, Harris TD, Azure M, Tellides G, Sinusas AJ, Zaret BL, Bender JR, Sadeghi MM: Alphavbeta3-targeted detection of arteriopathy in transplanted human coronary arteries: an autoradiographic study. FASEB J. 2005 Nov; 2005 Sep 8. PMID: 16150802
- Mehra VC, Ramgolam VS, Bender JR: Cytokines and cardiovascular disease. J Leukoc Biol. 2005 Oct; 2005 Jul 8. PMID: 16006537
- Kim KH, Bender JR: Rapid, estrogen receptor-mediated signaling: why is the endothelium so special? Sci STKE. 2005 Jun 14; 2005 Jun 14. PMID: 15956360
- Hisamoto K, Bender JR: Vascular cell signaling by membrane estrogen receptors. Steroids. 2005 May-Jun; 2005 Mar 16. PMID: 15862821
- Sadeghi MM, Krassilnikova S, Zhang J, Gharaei AA, Fassaei HR, Esmailzadeh L, Kooshkabadi A, Edwards S, Yalamanchili P, Harris TD, Sinusas AJ, Zaret BL, Bender JR: Detection of injury-induced vascular remodeling by targeting activated alphavbeta3 integrin in vivo. Circulation. 2004 Jul 6; 2004 Jun 21. PMID: 15210600
- Li L, Haynes MP, Bender JR: Plasma membrane localization and function of the estrogen receptor alpha variant (ER46) in human endothelial cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003 Apr 15; 2003 Apr 7. PMID: 12682286
- Haynes MP, Li L, Sinha D, Russell KS, Hisamoto K, Baron R, Collinge M, Sessa WC, Bender JR: Src kinase mediates phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt-dependent rapid endothelial nitric-oxide synthase activation by estrogen. J Biol Chem. 2003 Jan 24; 2002 Nov 12. PMID: 12431978
- Conte MS, VanMeter GA, Akst LM, Clemons T, Kashgarian M, Bender JR: Endothelial cell seeding influences lesion development following arterial injury in the cholesterol-fed rabbit. Cardiovasc Res. 2002 Feb 1. PMID: 11827702
- Haynes MP, Li L, Russell KS, Bender JR: Rapid vascular cell responses to estrogen and membrane receptors. Vascul Pharmacol. 2002 Feb. PMID: 12379956