Asthma; Asthma, Exercise-Induced; Curriculum; Respiratory Physiological Phenomena; Public Health Practice
I am interested in the mechanism for exercise-induced asthma. I am studying the lack of recognition of exercise-induced asthma in athletic organizations and trying to determine the reasons from both an organizational and athlete standpoint. I am also interested in the impact of asthma on athletes, particularly as it relates to their self-image.
Extensive Research Description
My past experience includes assessment of pulmonary vasoreactivity and effect of cytokines on nitric oxide synthase.
More recent research focuses on the pathophysiology of exercise-induced bronchoconstriction with an emphasis on pulmonary mechanics.
In addition, I have an interest in exercise induced asthma in competitive athletes. Specifically, I am evaluating adherence to national asthma guidelines in athletic organizations. I am also assessing sociologic reasons for nonadherence in athletes.
- Adherence to asthma guidelines in competitive and recreational sports organizations
- Asthma attitudes and knowledge of athletes, parents and coaches
Creating the Subspecialty Pediatrics Investigator Network
Mink, R., A. Schwartz, C. Carraccio, P. High, C. Dammann, K.A. McGann, J. Kesselheim, B. Herman, Steering Committee of the Subspecialty Pediatrics Investigator Network (Co-author member of SPIN), J Peds 192:3-4, 2018
Validity of Level of Supervision Scales for Assessing Pediatric Fellows on the Common Pediatric Subspecialty Entrustable Professional Activities.
Mink, R.B., A. Schwartz, B.E. Herman, D.A. Turner, M.L. Curan, A. Myers, D.C. Hsu, J.C. Kesselheim, C.L. Carraccio and the Steering Committee of the Subspecialty Pediatric Investigator Network (SPIN) (Co-author member of SPIN). Acad Med 2017
- Impact of Extended Duty Hours on Medical Trainees. Weiss, P., M. Kryger M and M. Knauert. Sleep Health 2016: 2(4):309-315.
- Positive Airway Pressure Therapy for Obstructive Sleep Apnea Weiss, P, and M. Kryger. Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America.2016:49:1331-1341
Recommended Protected Time for Pediatric Fellowship Program Directors: A Needs Assessment Survey
Fleming, G.M., M. Brook, B.E. Herman, C. Kennedy, K.A. McGann, K. Mason, P. Weiss, and A. Myers, A. Academic Pediatrics. 16:415–418, 2016
Exercise induced bronchoconstriction in adults: evidence-based diagnosis and management.
Exercise induced bronchoconstriction in adults: evidence-based diagnosis and management. BMJ 2016;352:h6951
The association between right ventricular dysfunction and restrictive lung disease in childhood cancer survivors as measured by quantitative echocardiography
Patel, A., C. Weissman, P. Weiss, K. Russell, A. Bazzy-Asaad, and N.S. Kadan-Lottick. Ped Blood & Cancer. 61(11): 2059-2064, 2014
Effect of vitamin D-binding protein genotype on the development of asthma in children.
Navas-Nazario A., F.Y Li., V. Shabanova, P. Weiss, D.E Cole, T.O. Carpenter, and A. Bazzy-Asaad. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 112(6):519-24, 2014
Exercise-induced bronchoconstriction and vocal cord dysfunction: two sides of the same coin?
Rundell, K., and P. Weiss. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2013: 12(1):41-6
- Exercise-induced Lung Disease: Too Much of a Good Thing? Weiss, P. and Rundell,K. Exercise-induced Lung Disease: Too Much of a Good Thing?. Pediatric Allergy, Immunology, and Pulmonology 2011;24(3):149-157.
- Exercise-induced Bronchoconstriction in Children and Adolescents Weiss, P. Exercise-induced Bronchoconstriction in Children and Adolescents. J. Asthma Allergy Educators 2011; 2(5): 246-252.
- Pulmonary Physiology Weiss, P. ”Pulmonary Physiology” In: Light M, ed. Pediatr Pulmonol. Elk Grove Village: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2011:15-43.
- Lack of Identification of Asthmatic Players in a Youth Soccer League Weiss, P., Bazzy-Asaad, A., and Tolomeo, C. Lack of Identification of Asthmatic Players in a Youth Soccer League. J. Asthma Allergy Educators. 1(3) 2010.
Imitators of Exercise-induced Bronchoconstriction
Weiss, P. and Rundell, K. Imitators of Exercise-induced Bronchoconstriction. Allergy, Asthma and Clinical Immunology. 5(7), 2009
Relaxant responses of rabbit aorta: influence of cytochrome P450 inhibitors.
Weiss, Oyekan, A.O., McGiff, J.C., Rosenkranz Weiss, P. and Quilley, J. Relaxant responses of rabbit aorta: influence of cytochrome P450 inhibitors.. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Therap. 268(1):262-269. 1994.
Gender-specific differences in expression of mRNAs for functional and structural proteins in rat ventricular myocardium.
Weiss, Rosenkranz, P.G., Tomek, R.J., Mathew, J. and Eghbali, M.. Gender-specific differences in expression of mRNAs for functional and structural proteins in rat ventricular myocardium.. Mol. Cell. Cardiol. 26:261-270. 1994.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Weiss P, Kryger M: Positive Airway Pressure Therapy for Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2016 Dec; 2016 Oct 6. PMID: 27720457
- Weiss P, Kryger M, Knauert M: Impact of extended duty hours on medical trainees. Sleep Health. 2016 Dec; 2016 Oct 24. PMID: 29073389
- Fleming GM, Brook MM, Herman BE, Kennedy C, McGann KA, Mason KE, Weiss P, Myers AL: Recommended Protected Time for Pediatric Fellowship Program Directors: A Needs Assessment Survey. Acad Pediatr. 2016 Jul; 2016 May 3. PMID: 27150512
- Smoliga JM, Weiss P, Rundell KW: Exercise induced bronchoconstriction in adults: evidence based diagnosis and management. BMJ. 2016 Jan 13; 2016 Jan 13. PMID: 26762594
- Patel A, Weismann C, Weiss P, Russell K, Bazzy-Asaad A, Kadan-Lottick NS: Association between right ventricular dysfunction and restrictive lung disease in childhood cancer survivors as measured by quantitative echocardiography. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2014 Nov; 2014 Aug 17. PMID: 25130668
- Navas-Nazario A, Li FY, Shabanova V, Weiss P, Cole DE, Carpenter TO, Bazzy-Asaad A: Effect of vitamin D-binding protein genotype on the development of asthma in children. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2014 Jun; 2014 Apr 16. PMID: 24745702
- Weiss P, Rundell KW: Imitators of exercise-induced bronchoconstriction. Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol. 2009 Nov 17; 2009 Nov 17. PMID: 20016690