Yale University is well-known for its cutting edge research activities. We believe that scholarship and the acquisition of high quality research skills during fellowship are fundamental to the development of leadership, teaching skills, and critical thinking. Fellows may participate in clinical, translational, or basic science research. Scholarly activity may also be pursued in bioethics, medical education, public health, health inequity, quality improvement, and public policy. We provide opportunities for fellows to train both in our department as well as in Internal Medicine, collaborating basic science or other clinical departments at Yale. We have an individualized approach to the selection of the scholarly project and a strong track record of mentorship.
Upon entering the research years, each fellow is provided with a Scholarship Oversight Committee, which meets at least twice a year to review and support the research progress. The Yale Pediatric Fellows Conference and section research conference provide venues for the fellows to present their work.
- Our fellows are extremely productive and have an excellent track record. They have published in peer-reviewed journals and presented their research at national meetings.
- Kesebir D, Vazquez M, Weibel C, Shapiro ED, Ferguson D, Landry ML, Kahn JS. Human bocavirus infection in young children in the United States: molecular epidemiological profile and clinical characteristics of a newly emerging respiratory virus. J Infect Dis. 2006 Nov 1;194(9):1276-82.
- Kahn JS, Kesebir D, Cotmore SF, D'Abramo A Jr, Cosby C, Weibel C, Tattersall P. Seroepidemiology of human bocavirus defined using recombinant virus-like particles. J Infect Dis. 2008 Jul 1;198(1):41-50.
- Esquibies AE, Zambrano E, Ziai J, Kesebir D, Touloukian RJ, Egan ME, Reyes-Múgica M, Bazzy-Asaad A. Pulmonary squamous cell carcinoma associated with repaired congenital tracheoesophageal fistula and esophageal atresia. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2010 Feb;45(2):202-4.
- Kevill KA, Bhandari V, Kettunen M, Leng L, Fan J, Mizue Y, Dzuira JD, Reyes-Mugica M, McDonald CL, Baugh JA, O'Connor CL, Aghai ZH, Donnelly SC, Bazzy-Asaad A, Bucala RJ. A role for macrophage migration inhibitory factor in the neonatal respiratory distress syndrome. J Immunol. 2008 Jan 1;180(1):601-8.
- Dokmeci E, Herrick CA. The immune system and atopic dermatitis. Semin Cutan Med Surg. 2008 Jun;27(2):138-43.
- Dokmeci E, Xu L, Robinson E, Golubets K, Bottomly K, Herrick CA.EBI3 deficiency leads to diminished T helper type 1 and increased T helper type 2 mediated airway inflammation. Immunology. 2011 Apr;132(4):559-66.
- Nakra N, Bhargava S, Dzuira J, Caprio S, Bazzy-Asaad A. Sleep-disordered breathing in children with metabolic syndrome: the role of leptin and sympathetic nervous system activity and the effect of continuous positive airway pressure. Pediatrics. 2008 Sep;122(3):e634-42.
- Shenoy A, Esquibies AE, Dunbar N, Dishop M, Reyes-Mugica M, Langston C, Deladoëy J, Abu-Khudir R, Carpenter T, Bazzy-Asaad A. A Novel Presentation of Diffuse Lung Disease Secondary to Congenital Hypothyroidism. J Pediatr 155:593-595, 2009.
- Shenoy A, Kopic S, Murek M, Caputo C, Geibel JP, Egan ME. Calcium-modulated chloride pathways contribute to chloride flux in murine cystic fibrosis-affected macrophages. Pediatr Res. 2011 Nov;70(5):447-52.
- Bruscia EM, Zhang PX, Satoh A, Caputo C, Medzhitov R, Shenoy A, Egan ME, Krause DS. Abnormal trafficking and degradation of TLR4 underlie the elevated inflammatory response in cystic fibrosis. J Immunol. 2011 Jun 15;186(12):6990-8.
- Ishak, M., Zambrano, E. V., Bazzy-Asaad, A. and Esquibies, A. E. (2011), Unusual pulmonary findings in mucolipidosis II. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2012 Jul;47(7):719-21.
- Navas-Nazario A., Li FY., Northrup V., Weiss P., Cole DEC., Carpenter TO., Bazzy-Asaad A. Effect of Vitamin D Binding Protein (DBP) Genotype on the Development of Asthma in Children, Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2014 Jun;112(6):519-24.
- Patel A., Weismann C., Weiss P., Russell K., Bazzy-Asaad A., Kadan-Lottick N. The Association Between Right Ventricular Dysfunction and Restrictive Lung Disease in Childhood Cancer Survivors as Measured by Quantitative Echocardiography, Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2014 Aug 17. doi: 10.1002/pbc.25157. [Epub ahead of print]