Education, Medical; Ethics, Medical; Humanities; Neonatology; Pediatrics; Health Care
My academic work focuses on studying the ethical problems faced by clinicians, patients and families, in all aspects of medicine, but particularly with regard to pediatrics.
Specialized Terms: Ethics; Medical Ethics; Pediatrics; Neonatology; Education;
Unilateral pediatric "do not attempt resuscitation" orders: the pros, the cons, and a proposed approach.
Mercurio MR, Murray PD, Gross I. Unilateral pediatric "do not attempt resuscitation" orders: the pros, the cons, and a proposed approach. Pediatrics. 2014;133 Suppl 1:S37-43. doi: 10.1542/peds.2013-3608G. PubMed PMID: 24488539.
Saving vs creating: perceptions of intensive care at different ages and the potential for injustice.
Janvier, A., Mercurio, M.R. Saving vs. Creating: Perceptions of intensive care at different ages and the potential for injustice. Journal of Perinatology 2013; Vol 33(5):333-5.
Counseling variation among physicians regarding intestinal transplant for short bowel syndrome.
Cummings, C.L., Diefenbach, K., Mercurio, M.R. Counseling variation among physicians regarding intestinal transplant for short bowel syndrome. Journal of Medical Ethics. Published on line 8/21/13. http://jme.bmj.com
Ethics of Emerging Technologies and Their Transition to Accepted Practice: Intestinal Transplant for Short Bowel Syndrome.
Cummings, C.L., Mercurio, M.R. Ethics of Emerging Technologies and Their Transition to Accepted Practice: Intestinal Transplant for Short Bowel Syndrome. Journal of Perinatology. 2012:32: 752-756
Dyshormonia Iatrogenica: crossroads of medicine, malpractice law, and professional ethics in clinical endocrinology.
Goldberg PA, Varriale DJ, Mercurio MR.Dyshormonia Iatrogenica: crossroads of medicine, malpractice law, and professional ethics in clinical endocrinology. Endocr Pract. 2012 Sep-Oct;18(5):731-6.
Faking it: Unnecessary deceptions and the slow code.
Mercurio, M.R. Faking it: Unnecessary deceptions and the slow code. American Journal of Bioethics 2011;11(11):17-8
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Sugarman J, Anderson J, Baschat AA, Herrera Beutler J, Bienstock JL, Bunchman TE, Desai NM, Gates E, Goldberg A, Grimm PC, Henry LM, Jelin EB, Johnson E, Hertenstein CB, Mastroianni AC, Mercurio MR, Neu A, Nogee LM, Polzin WJ, Ralston SJ, Ramus RM, Singleton MK, Somers MJG, Wang KC, Boss R: Ethical Considerations Concerning Amnioinfusions for Treating Fetal Bilateral Renal Agenesis. Obstet Gynecol. 2018 Jan. PMID: 29215523
- Peterec SM, Bizzarro MJ, Mercurio MR: Is Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation for a Neonate Ever Ethically Obligatory? J Pediatr. 2017 Dec 13; 2017 Dec 13. PMID: 29248183
- Braverman DW, Marcus BS, Wakim PG, Mercurio MR, Kopf GS: Health Care Professionals' Attitudes About Physician-Assisted Death: An Analysis of Their Justifications and the Roles of Terminology and Patient Competency. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2017 Oct; 2017 Jul 15. PMID: 28716621
- McCarthy ML, Chaudoin LT, Mercurio MR, O'Brien EG, Bhargava S, Cohen SY, Auerbach M, Tiyyagura G: Parents' Perspective on Trainees Performing Invasive Procedures: A Qualitative Evaluation. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2017 Apr 4; 2017 Apr 4. PMID: 28376068
- Mercurio MR: Pediatric obstetrical ethics: Medical decision-making by, with, and for pregnant early adolescents. Semin Perinatol. 2016 Jun; 2016 Feb 23. PMID: 26916394
- Cummings CL, Diefenbach KA, Mercurio MR: Counselling variation among physicians regarding intestinal transplant for short bowel syndrome. J Med Ethics. 2014 Oct; 2013 Aug 21. PMID: 23966424
- Goldberg PA, Varriale DJ, Mercurio MR: Dyshormonia Iatrogenica: crossroads of medicine, malpractice law, and professional ethics in clinical endocrinology. Endocr Pract. 2012 Sep-Oct. PMID: 22446133
- Mercurio MR: Faking it: unnecessary deceptions and the slow code. Am J Bioeth. 2011 Nov. PMID: 22047116
- Zhong R, Knobe J, Feigenson N, Mercurio MR: Age and disability biases in pediatric resuscitation among future physicians. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2011 Nov; 2011 May 27. PMID: 21622686
- Mercurio MR: Adolescent mothers of critically ill newborns: addressing the rights of parent and child. Adolesc Med State Art Rev. 2011 Aug. PMID: 22106738
- Mercurio MR: Adolescent parents of critically ill newborns: rights and obligations. J Pediatr. 2010 Dec. PMID: 20817172
- Cummings CL, Mercurio MR: Ethics for the pediatrician: autonomy, beneficence, and rights. Pediatr Rev. 2010 Jun. PMID: 20516238
- Mercurio MR: Ethics for the pediatrician: imperiled newborns: limiting treatment. Pediatr Rev. 2010 Feb. PMID: 20124277
- Mercurio MR: The ethics of newborn resuscitation. Semin Perinatol. 2009 Dec. PMID: 19914519
- Mercurio MR, Peterec SM: Attending physician work hours: ethical considerations and the last doctor standing. Pediatrics. 2009 Aug; 2009 Jul 5. PMID: 19581262
- Mercurio MR: Teaching intubation with cadavers: generosity at a time of loss. Hastings Cent Rep. 2009 Jul-Aug. PMID: 19711625
- Mercurio MR: A day too long: rethinking physician work hours. Hastings Cent Rep. 2008 Jul-Aug. PMID: 18709917
- Mercurio MR, Peterec SM, Weeks B: Hypoplastic left heart syndrome, extreme prematurity, comfort care only, and the principle of justice. Pediatrics. 2008 Jul. PMID: 18596004
- Mercurio MR: An analysis of candidate ethical justifications for allowing inexperienced physicians-in-training to perform invasive procedures. J Med Philos. 2008 Feb. PMID: 18420550
- Mercurio MR: Adolescent's refusal of treatment: principles in conflict. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2008 Jan. PMID: 18404966
- Mercurio MR: An adolescent's refusal of medical treatment: implications of the Abraham Cheerix case. Pediatrics. 2007 Dec. PMID: 18055685
- Mercurio MR: Physicians' refusal to resuscitate at borderline gestational age. J Perinatol. 2005 Nov. PMID: 16252012