Decision Making, Computer-Assisted; Decision Support Techniques; Diagnosis, Computer-Assisted; Information Science; Medical Informatics; Medical Informatics Applications; Medical Records Systems, Computerized; Decision Support Systems, Clinical
Extensive Research Description
GLIDES Project (GuideLines into Decision Support) funded by AHRQ to (1) implement evidence-based guideline recommendations that address prevention of pediatric obesity and chronic management of asthma, (2) apply the Guideline Elements Model and its associated tools to systematically and replicably transform the knowledge contained in the guidelines into a computable format, (3) deliver the knowledge via electronic decision support at ambulatory sites at Yale and Nemours, and (4) to evaluate fulfillment of these goals and the effectiveness of the decision support tools in improving quality of health care.ERGO Project (Effective Representation of Guidelines with Ontologies) funded by NLM and AHRQ to (1) create a library of representative guideline recommendation statements, (2) delineate the range of ambiguous, vague and underspecified statements, (3) analyze the terminology of obligation, (4) create an ontology of recommendations, and (5) develop and evaluate a controlled language editor to facilitate authoring of recommendations that can be translated into decision support tools.
- Hoeksema LJ, Bazzy-Asaad A, Lomotan EA, Edmonds DE, Ramírez-Garnica G, Shiffman RN, Horwitz LI. Accuracy of a computerized clinical decision support system for asthma assessment and management. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2011;18:243-250.
- Shiffman RN, Michel G, Rosenfeld R, Davidson C. Building better guidelines with BRIDGE-Wiz: a software assistant to promote quality, transparency, and implementability. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2011;amiajnl-2011-000172Published Online First: 16 August 2011 doi:10.1136/amiajnl-2011-000172
- Shiffman RN, Michel G, Krauthammer M, Fuchs NE, Kaljurand K, Kuhn T. Writing clinical practice guidelines in controlled natural language. In: Conrolled Natural Language. Ed: Fuchs NE. Heidelberg, Springer 2010. 264-280.
- Shiffman RN, Dixon, J, Brandt, C, Essaihi A, Hsiao A, Michel G, O’Connell R. The GuideLine Implementability Appraisal: development of an instrument to identify obstacles to guideline implementation. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making 2005; 5:23.
- Shiffman RN, Shekelle P, Overhage JM, Slutsky J, Grimshaw J, Deshgpande AM. Standardized reporting of clinical practice guidelines: a proposal from the Conference on Guideline Standardization. Ann Intern Med 2003;139:493-498.