School Age Children
Healthy Eating Habits for the School Age Child With Diabetes
- Frequent meals/snacks are still required at this age. Kids should be eating at regular intervals, with 3 meals and 2-3 snacks per day. Even patients on pump therapy benefit from eating at regular intervals.
- Try to incorporate a protein source at every meal/snack. Examples include; milk/dairy, meat, beans or nuts. This can promote more stable blood sugars.
- Increase the amount of fruits and vegetables your child is getting. Provide at least one serving of either a fruit or vegetable at every meal.
- Sugar-Free does not always meal healthy! It is more important that the foods/drinks you provide give proper nutrition. For example it is healthier to provide low fat milk as a beverage with lunch instead of a diet soda.
- Incorporate healthy eating habits for the whole family. Avoid “diabetic foods” and a “diabetic diet”. Healthy dietary habits are important to everyone!
- Be aware of “Hidden Carbs”:
- Ketchup: 4 grams/Tablespoon
- BBQ sauce: 6 grams/Tablespoon
- Teriyaki Sauce: 2 grams/Tablespoon
- Gravy: 18 grams/1/4 Cup
- Eating foods in the whole form typically will impact the blood sugar less. Eat whole fruits rather than juice, whole grains, brown rice, unprocessed oats.
- Healthy Snacks
Hard Boiled Eggs
Scrambled eggs made with 1 Tablespoon Cheddar Cheese
Deli meat (turkey/ham/roast beef) rolled with American Cheese Slices
Carrots/peppers/cucumbers sliced served with salad dressing as a dip
10-20 Grams Carb
½ Whole Wheat Bagel topped with 1 tablespoon peanut butter : 11 grams
Simply Gogurt yogurt: 13 grams
½ cup Cherrios with 1/3 cup lowfat milk: 14 grams
½ cup Lowfat Cottage Cheese with ½ large pear: 17 grams
7 Baked Tortilla Chips with 2 Tablespoons salsa: 14 grams
1 rice cake with 1 tablespoon peanut butter and ½ banana: 15 grams
“Chobani Champions” Greek Style Yogurt, one 4 ounce cup: 14 grams
Kashi “TLC” Crackers, Honey Sesame, 10 crackers with 1 oz cheddar cheese 17 grams
Nutri-grain waffle (1) with 2 tsp low fat cream cheese and 1 tsp jelly: 20 grams
20-30 Grams Carb
Whole wheat pocket pita (1) with 2 tablespoons hummus: 29 grams
Kashi “TLC” Baked Snack Bar: 21 grams
Whole wheat flour tortilla (8 inch) with 1 ounce Monterey Jack Cheese and Salsa: 28 grams