External Visiting Pediatric Resident Subspecialty Elective
The department of pediatrics at Yale University School of Medicine prioritizes recruitment of trainees from backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in medicine into subspecialty fellowship training programs. We aim to increase applicants’ awareness of the institutional resources, clinical programs, and scholarship opportunities through direct exposure during elective rotations.
For the 2022-23 academic year, we plan to offer 3 external resident rotations in subspecialty of choice to interested residents who meet the eligibility criteria listed below. The program will provide a stipend of $2000 per visiting resident (for a 4-week elective) to assist in travel and lodging while participating visiting residents are at Yale New Haven Hospital. The program does not currently offer housing for visiting residents, but will provide a list of housing resources in New Haven.
Oversight for visiting residents will be provided by the Director of Fellowships, the Vice Chair for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, and the Fellowship Program Director in the section that the resident is rotating with.
The specific activities included in the 4-week rotation will be customized based upon the individual visiting residents’ specific goals and interests, and can incorporate both clinical and scholarly work. Example rotation schedules are included here:
Other activities may include:
- Inpatient service rotations
- Ambulatory clinics
- Attendance in sectional/ departmental educational conferences
- Opportunities to interact with other trainees across the department
- Opportunities for peer mentorship, as visiting residents will be matched to a current Yale Pediatrics Resident who will help the visiting resident feel welcome and assist with questions
- Opportunities to interact with departmental leaders in QI, research, education, or global health, depending on their interests and career goals
- Meeting with the Vice Chair for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to discuss career goals, to provide guidance, and to obtain feedback on the value of the program
- Meeting with the Divisional Section Chief to discuss career plans and goals
- Meeting with the Department Chair of Pediatrics to discuss career plans and goals
- Meeting with leadership for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Graduate Medical Education at Yale New Haven Health System
- Opportunities to participate in existing clinical, laboratory-based, or educational research activities
This program is available to:
- Second-year or third-year categorical pediatrics or medicine-pediatric residents who are in good standing at an ACGME accredited residency program.
- Applicants must be from diverse groups in medicine which includes: groups underrepresented in medicine as defined by the AAMC (e.g. Black/African American, Hispanic/Latinx, Native American, Alaskan Native and Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander), socially, economically, or educationally disadvantaged, and others whose backgrounds and experiences would diversify their clinical fields.
- Please note your home institution will be required to generate a Program Letter of Agreement on your behalf for this elective rotation.
This program is NOT available to:
- Residents who do not meet the above criteria
- Residents from non-U.S. residency training programs
- Residents from non-ACGME accredited training programs
If you are interested and meet the criteria noted above, you may apply by clicking on the “Apply Here” button and indicate the subspecialty you would like to rotate with, and your specific interests and needs. Please note that this is a competitive selection process, and the subspecialty fellowship you indicate must approve the visit during the desired timeframe. Applications will be reviewed and approved on a rolling basis.