Dr. Silasi's Lab
1. Role of IP-10 in the mechanism of preterm labor after viral infection: IP-10 (also known as Interferon gamma-induced protein of 10kDa) is a chemoattractant for activated T-cells. It is secreted by monocytes, endothelial cells, and fibroblast cells. It is induced by interferon, and is clinically useful as a prognostic indicator for patients with Hepatitis C and HIV. In pregnancy, elevated amniotic fluid levels of IP-10 at midtrimester have been associated with preterm delivery before 32 weeks, while increased expression of IP-10 has been shown in placentas with histological chronic chorioamnionitis. A two-hit model of preterm labor and delivery has previously been developed in the lab, and IP-10 levels are seen to increase in correlation with the model.
2. Interaction between cell types at the maternal-fetal interface: The maternal-fetal interface is comprised of maternal decidua and immune cells interfaced with fetal trophoblast, immune, and endothelial cells. While much research has focused on the behavior of individual cells such as the trophoblast or maternal immune cells, little is known about how these cells interact with each other in order to maintain pregnancy success or during complications of pregnancy.
- Relevance of placental type I interferon beta regulation for pregnancy success.Kwon JY, Aldo P, You Y, Ding J, Racicot K, Dong X, Murphy J, Glukshtad G, Silasi M, Peng J, Wen L, Abrahams VM, Romero R, Mor G. Cell Mol Immunol. 2018 Dec; 2018 Jun 15. PMID: 29907882.
- Early sonographic detection of a succenturiate placenta after IVF in a 42-year-old woman with multiple comorbidities.Stelzl PW, Yadav G, Perley L, Silasi M. BMJ Case Rep. 2017 Oct 10; 2017 Oct 10. PMID: 29021145.
- Time course analysis of RNA quality in placenta preserved by RNAlater or flash freezing.Martin NM, Cooke KM, Radford CC, Perley LE, Silasi M, Flannery CA. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2017 Apr; 2017 Jan 31. PMID: 28138995.
- Viral infections during pregnancy.Silasi M, Cardenas I, Kwon JY, Racicot K, Aldo P, Mor G. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2015 Mar; 2015 Jan 13. PMID: 25582523.
- Human chorionic gonadotropin enhances trophoblast-epithelial interaction in an in vitro model of human implantation.Racicot KE, Wünsche V, Auerbach B, Aldo P, Silasi M, Mor G. Reprod Sci. 2014 Oct; 2014 Feb 11. PMID: 24520082.
- Understanding the complexity of the immune system during pregnancy.Racicot K, Kwon JY, Aldo P, Silasi M, Mor G. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2014 Aug; 2014 Jul 4. PMID: 24995526.
- Robotic versus abdominal hysterectomy for very large uteri.Silasi DA, Gallo T, Silasi M, Menderes G, Azodi M. JSLS. 2013 Jul-Sep. PMID: 24018076.
- Viral invasion of the amniotic cavity (VIAC) in the midtrimester of pregnancy.Silasi M. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2013 Mar. PMID: 23384234.
- Decidual stromal cells as regulators of T-cell access to the maternal-fetal interface.Silasi M, Mor G. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2012 Oct; 2012 Aug 31. PMID: 22935072.
- Placental origins of angiogenic dysfunction in mirror syndrome.Bixel K, Silasi M, Zelop CM, Lim KH, Zsengeller Z, Stillman IE, Rana S. Hypertens Pregnancy. 2012; 2011 Dec 9. PMID: 22150085.
- Placental expression of angiogenic factors in Trisomy 13.Silasi M, Rana S, Powe C, Cohen B, Lim KH, Zsengellér ZK, Karumanchi SA, Stillman IE. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011 Jun; 2011 Apr 20. PMID: 21507376.
- A pregnant female with a large intracranial mass: Reviewing the evidence to obtain management guidelines for intracranial meningiomas during pregnancy.Kasper EM, Hess PE, Silasi M, Lim KH, Gray J, Reddy H, Gilmore L, Kasper B. Surg Neurol Int. 2010 Dec 25; 2010 Dec 25. PMID: 21245945.
- Transient tachypnea of the newborn: is labor prior to cesarean delivery protective?Silasi M, Coonrod DV, Kim M, Drachman D. Am J Perinatol. 2010 Nov; 2010 May 19. PMID: 20486067.
- Abnormal placentation, angiogenic factors, and the pathogenesis of preeclampsia.Silasi M, Cohen B, Karumanchi SA, Rana S. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2010 Jun. PMID: 20685551.