Skip to Main Content


In Memoriam

Yale Medicine Magazine, 2005 - Autumn


William T. Bachmann, M.D., HS ’74, died on July 28 of cancer. He was 65. Bachmann, a dermatologist, lived in Stonington, Conn., and maintained a practice in Westerly, R.I., for more than 30 years. During the Vietnam War Bachmann served as a physician on submarines based in Groton, Conn. He was known in the area not only as a physician, but also for his enthusiasm for fishing for tuna and marlin. In recent years he began exploring area wildlife by boat and kayak. An activist and defender of healthy sea life, he recently completed a book about his fishing experiences and environmental insights.

Horst N. Bertram, M.D., HS ’59, a radiologist, died on March 12 in Cornwall, Pa. A native of Berlin, Germany, Bertram completed his medical studies at the end of World War II, then began a residency in Ohio. After serving as a battalion surgeon in the Army during the Korean War, he came to Yale to complete his residency in radiology. In 1965 he joined the staff of the Good Samaritan Hospital in Lebanon, Pa., where he stayed for 30 years. He served as chair of the radiology department and president of the Lebanon County Medical Society.

Sister Mary Anne Fitzmaurice, R.N., M.P.H. ’69, a member of the Sisters of St. Joseph, died on May 1 in West Hartford, Conn. She was 80. Fitzmaurice received her nursing degree from St. Francis Hospital School of Nursing in Hartford, Conn., and in 1955 became operating room supervisor at St. Mary’s Hospital in Waterbury, Conn. In 1967 she began studies in hospital administration at Yale. After her graduation in 1969 she spent a year at the Hospital of St. Raphael in New Haven as a resident in administration. During her career she also worked at St. Francis Hospital in Hartford, the Provincial House of the Sisters of St. Joseph in West Hartford and the Intensive Education Academy in West Hartford. She was honored with a Certificate of Membership in the American College of Hospital Administrators, and in 1979 the mayor of Hartford recognized her service with a Certificate of Award.

Frederick P. Glike, M.D. ’41, died on September 12 at his home in Meriden, Conn. He was 89. A lifelong resident of Meriden, Glike graduated from Harvard University before entering the medical school at Yale. During World War II he was a captain with the Third Battalion and participated in the Battle of the Bulge. He returned to Meriden, where he practiced medicine for 40 years until his retirement. Glike loved music and played the clarinet in the Meriden Symphony. He also enjoyed the outdoors and took hiking trips with his family in the White Mountains, where he climbed all peaks over 4,000 feet.

Victor C. Hackney, M.D. ’43, died on September 5 in Geary, Okla. He was 88. During World War II Hackney served in the Navy. Board certified in dermatology and pathology, he studied at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. He received academic appointments at the University of Southern California and at Stanford University before becoming founding chair of dermatology and professor of dermatology and pathology at Indiana State University School of Medicine. He retired in 1976.

H. David Kearing, M.D., HS ’68, died on September 9 at his home in Brackney, Pa. He was 68. After receiving his medical degree from Cornell in New York, Kearing completed a residency in ob/gyn at Yale. He subsequently served in the U.S. Army at West Point for two years. From 1972 to 1991 he practiced ob/gyn in Binghamton, N.Y., with two partners, then went into private practice until 2001, when he retired.

Carter Lee Marshall, M.D. ’62, M.P.H. ’64, died on February 18 in Tucson, Ariz. After service in the Army, Marshall was on the faculty at the University of Kansas School of Medicine, the Mt. Sinai School of Medicine and the City University of New York. In the 1970s he helped set up a medical school at Morehouse College in Atlanta. He later served as director of medical education at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, before moving to Arizona to work at the Health Services Advisory Group, the state’s Medicare quality improvement organization. He co-authored an introductory text for allied health workers and published more than 70 articles.

Willys M. Monroe, M.D. ’41, a pathologist, died on March 18 in Lynchburg, Va. Monroe was a life fellow of the College of American Pathologists, a fellow of the American Society for Clinical Pathology and a life member of the Medical Society of Virginia. During his career he spent five years in the U.S. Public Health Service, leaving as a lieutenant colonel to become chair of the department of pathology at Richmond Memorial Hospital, where he established a blood bank and trained lab technicians. He also taught pathology at Virginia Commonwealth University and the University of Virginia. He was the first chief of the Richmond Metropolitan Blood Service.

Richard B. Ogrean, M.S. ’52, died on June 2 in Fort Myers, Fla. He was 83. After serving in the U.S. Army Medical Corps in Europe during World War II, Ogrean obtained a degree in public health administration at Yale, then worked as an assistant administrator at Yale-New Haven Hospital. In 1956 he became an administrator at Windham Community Memorial Hospital in Willimantic, Conn., where he stayed for 18 years. He worked at other hospitals until his retirement in 1983. He was also a deacon at the First Baptist Church in Willimantic.

Howard Rasmussen, M.D., Ph.D., a former professor of medicine and cell biology and chief of endocrinology and metabolism at the School of Medicine, died on April 20 in North Carolina after a long illness. He was 80. Rasmussen was one of the first scientists to recognize the importance of calcium as a signaling molecule. During his career he was chair of biochemistry at the University of Pennsylvania and founding director of the Institute of Molecular Medicine and Genetics at the Medical College of Georgia. Rasmussen was at Yale from 1976 to 1993.

Robert T. Sceery, M.D. ’50, died on February 18 of congestive heart failure in Cohasset, Mass. He was 84. Sceery, a pediatrician, was school physician in Cohasset for more than 40 years. Known for his quiet manner, he made house calls and saw patients regardless of their ability to pay. Although retired for several years, Sceery saw occasional patients and attended weekly rounds at Massachusetts General Hospital. During World War II he joined the Navy, piloting a tank landing ship to Normandy beach on D-Day and participating in assaults on southern France and Japan.

Paul W. Sternlof, M.P.H. ’57, died in Sharon, Conn., on August 12. He was 73. Sternlof served as assistant administrator of Baltimore General Hospital in Maryland from 1958 until 1962, when he became president of Sharon Hospital. He remained in that post until 1989.

Daniel B. Stryer, M.D. ’90, director of the Center for Quality Improvement and Patient Safety at the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, died on May 19 in Rockville, Md., of complications from a brain tumor. The center provides information to patients and the health care industry to improve quality of care. Stryer took on his job in 1997, after a residency in internal medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, and, with his wife, pediatrician Stacy Beller Stryer, M.D. ’91, spent three years with the Indian Health Service in Arizona.

George Tyler, M.D. ’67, died on August 28 in Bethlehem, Pa. He was 65. Tyler, a fellow of the American College of Surgeons, was a senior surgeon at Lehigh Valley Hospital-Muhlenberg and an instructor for the “Advanced Trauma Life Support” course. He was a major in the U.S. Army Seventh Cavalry and served in Vietnam, where he received the Bronze Star.

Vernon T. “Doc” Watley, M.D. ’49, died on August 30 in Beaumont, Texas. He was 83. In March 1942 Watley enlisted in the U.S. Air Force and served at what later became Lackland Air Force Base in Texas. During the Korean War he was called back to duty and ran the neurological service at Lackland. After his military service, he was the superintendent of Abilene State Hospital for Epileptics and a psychiatrist at Austin State Hospital. During his career he was also an emergency room doctor and, until his retirement in 1981, a family physician.

Send obituary notices to Claire M. Bessinger, Yale Medicine Publications, 1 Church Street, Suite 300, New Haven, CT 06510, or via e-mail to