The Connecticut Academy of Science and Engineering has elected 24 of the state’s leading experts in science, engineering, and technology to membership in the academy, with 10 new members coming from Yale.
The newly elected members will be introduced at the academy’s 43rd annual meeting and dinner on May 24 at the Radisson Hotel in Cromwell. Election to the academy is on the basis of scientific and engineering distinction achieved through significant contributions in theory and applications, as demonstrated by original published books and papers, patents, the pioneering of new and developing fields and innovative products, outstanding leadership of nationally recognized technical teams, and external professional awards in recognition of scientific and engineering excellence.
Yale’s newly elected members are:
- Amy F.T. Arnsten, professor of neuroscience and psychology at the Yale School of Medicine and member of the Kavli Institute of Neuroscience at Yale University
- Ingrid Burke, the Carl W. Knoblach, Jr. Dean and Professor of Ecosystem Ecology at the School of Forestry and Environmental Studies
- Robert H. Crabtree, the Conkey P. Whitehead Professor of Chemistry
- Sharon Hammes-Schiffer, the John Gamble Kirkwood Professor of Chemistry
- Anthony J. Koleske, professor of molecular biophysics and biochemistry, and of neurobiology, at the Yale School of Medicine
- Gary M. Kupfer, professor of pediatrics at the Yale School of Medicine and chief of hematology-oncology at the Yale Cancer Center
- Nicholas Read, the Henry Ford II Professor of Physics and professor of applied physics and mathematics
- Peter E. Schiffer, vice provost for research and professor of applied physics
- Karen C. Seto, senior associate dean of research, Frederick C. Hixon Professor of Geography and Urbanization Science, and director of doctoral studies at the School of Forestry and Environmental Studies
- Sten H. Vermund, dean and the Anna M.R. Lauder Professor of Public Health at the Yale School of Public Health, and professor of pediatrics at the Yale School of Medicine
The Connecticut General Assembly chartered the Connecticut Academy of Science and Engineering in 1976.