The Yale Department of Internal Medicine established the Iva Dostanic, MD, PhD, Physician-Scientist Trainee Award and Lecture in memory of Iva Dostanic, MD, PhD, whose intelligence, creativity, work ethic, accomplishments, and passion for the science of medicine exemplified the highest ideals of the physician-scientist.
Nominations are open for the 2020 Iva Dostanic Award. The recipient will present the Iva Dostanic Award Lecture at Medical Grand Rounds on June 4, 2020.
Past Dostanic Awardees and Titles of Presentations
2019: Shelli Farhadian, MD, PhD, Infectious Diseases: “Neuroinflammation During Chronic HIV Infection”
2018: Stephen Baldassarri, MD, Pulmonary, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine: “Electronic Cigarettes: The End of Smoking or a Deadly New Addiction?”
2017: Sarah Huen, MD, PhD, Nephrology: “Acute Kidney Injury: Not All That is Inflammatory is Pathologic"
2016: Lauren Ferrante, MD, MHS, Pulmonary, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine: “Improving Post-ICU Outcomes: A Call to Action”
2015: Jose Herazo-Maya, MD, Pulmonary, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine: “Predicting Outcome in IPF: The Dawn of Genomic Biomarkers”
2014: Daniel Jane-Wit, MD, PhD, Cardiovascular Medicine: "Translational Approaches for Studying Cardiac Allograft Vasculopathy"
2013: Isaac Hall, MD, MS, Nephrology: “Donor Kidney Quality and Acute Kidney Injury with Transplantation”
2012: Iva Dostanic, MD, PhD, Pulmonary, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine: “Emerging Roles for Innate Immunity in Lung and Endothelium”
Friday, January 17, 2020.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria Nominees should meet the following eligibility and selection criteria:
1. Physician-scientist with MD or MD-PhD.
2. Completion of residency training in internal medicine either at Yale or another institution.
3. Current position as a mentored research trainee with appointment as Postdoctoral Fellow, Postdoctoral Associate, Associate Research Scientist or Instructor in one of the sections of the Department of Medicine.
4. Accomplishments in original research evidenced by peer-reviewed papers published or in press.
5. Commitment to research reflected by applications for fellowship grants and/or career development awards.
6. Availability to present the Iva Dostanic Award Lecture on June 4, 2020
We encourage nominations of mentored trainees with outstanding potential for careers as physician-scientists. The following nomination materials should be sent by email to Dostanic Award Committee Chair Peter Aronson with a copy to Nancy Kravitz:
1. Single one-page nomination letter jointly signed by the nominee’s section chief and primary mentor.
2. Annotated curriculum vitae of the nominee. For key publications, provide brief descriptions of the role of the nominee and the significance of the work.
Contact For Additional Information
Peter S. Aronson, MD
Chair, Iva Dostanic Award Committee
Department of Internal Medicine
PO Box 208029
New Haven, CT 06520-8029