Cell Biology; Endocytosis; Exocytosis; Ophthalmology; Physiology; Presynaptic Terminals; Retinal Bipolar Cells
Cellular & Molecular Physiology: Cell to Cell Communication | Membrane Protein Sorting and Trafficking | Neurobiology and Physiology of Synapses
Neurons communicate with one another by the release of neurotransmitters through exocytosis. Although all eukaryotic cells secrete molecules, a hallmark of neurons is the speed and spatial regulation of the secretion process. The main objective of the research in my laboratory is to understand how presynaptic terminals are specialized for these tasks. This work involves the study of several aspects of presynaptic function including vesicle transport, exocytosis, and endocytosis.
The primary model system in the laboratory is the retinal bipolar neuron of the goldfish and zebrafish, which have unusually large synaptic terminals. These neurons belong to a class of neurons that have specialized synaptic structures known as synaptic ribbons. One specific focus of the laboratory is to understand the role of these structures in synaptic transmission in tonic sensory neurons. In order to study presynaptic function, my laboratory uses a combination of electrophysiological, molecular, and optical approaches.
Specialized Terms: Physiology and cell biology of the presynaptic terminal; Retinal Bipolar Neuron; Synaptic Terminal; Synaptic Ribbons; Vesicle Transport; Exocytosis; Endocytosis
Synaptic ribbons influence the size and frequency of miniature-like evoked postsynaptic currents
Mehta, B., Snellman, J., Chen, S., Li, W. and Zenisek, D. (2013) Synaptic ribbons influence the size and frequency of miniature-like evoked postsynaptic currents. Neuron, 77:516-527 PMCID: PMC3569740
Acute destruction of the synaptic ribbon reveals a role for the ribbon in vesicle priming.
Snellman, J., Mehta, B., Babai, N., Bartoletti, T.M., Francis, A., Akmentin, W., Matthews, G., Thoreson, W. and Zenisek, D. (2011) Nat Neurosci. 2011 Jul 24;14(9):1135-41. doi: 10.1038/nn.2870.
Imaging exocytosis in retinal bipolar cells using TIRF microscopy
Joselevitch C. and Zenisek D. Imaging exocytosis in retinal bipolar cells using TIRF microscopy. Journal of Visualized Experiments 9(28).
Development of new peptide-based tools for studying synaptic ribbon function
Francis, A., Mehta, B. and Zenisek, D. Development of new peptide-based tools for studying synaptic ribbon function. Journal of Neurophysiology, 2011, 166(2): 1028-1037.
Real-time visualization of complexin during single exocytic events
An SJ, Grabner CP and Zenisek D. Real-time visualization of complexin during single exocytic events. Nature Neuroscience 13(5): 577-583. 2010.
Coupling between clathrin-coated pit invagination, cortactin recruitment and membrane scission observed in live cells
Merrifield CJ, Perrais D, Zenisek D. Coupling between clathrin-coated pit invagination, cortactin recruitment and membrane scission observed in live cells. Cell, 121:593-606, 2005.
Recent progress toward understanding the synaptic ribbon
Prescott ED and Zenisek D. Recent progress toward understanding the synaptic ribbon. Curr Opin Neurobiol, 15:431-6, 2005.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Lv C, Stewart WJ, Akanyeti O, Frederick C, Zhu J, Santos-Sacchi J, Sheets L, Liao JC, Zenisek D: Synaptic Ribbons Require Ribeye for Electron Density, Proper Synaptic Localization, and Recruitment of Calcium Channels. Cell Rep. 2016 Jun 21; 2016 Jun 9. PMID: 27292637
- Arif Pavel M, Lv C, Ng C, Yang L, Kashyap P, Lam C, Valentino V, Fung HY, Campbell T, Møller SG, Zenisek D, Holtzman NG, Yu Y: Function and regulation of TRPP2 ion channel revealed by a gain-of-function mutant. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016 Apr 26; 2016 Apr 11. PMID: 27071085
- Graffe M, Zenisek D, Taraska JW: A marginal band of microtubules transports and organizes mitochondria in retinal bipolar synaptic terminals. J Gen Physiol. 2015 Jul. PMID: 26123197
- Lv C, Zenisek D: Big minis from hair cells: mechanism and function. Neuron. 2014 Sep 17. PMID: 25233300
- Mehta B, Ke JB, Zhang L, Baden AD, Markowitz AL, Nayak S, Briggman KL, Zenisek D, Singer JH: Global Ca2+ signaling drives ribbon-independent synaptic transmission at rod bipolar cell synapses. J Neurosci. 2014 Apr 30. PMID: 24790194
- Grabner CP, Zenisek D: Amperometric resolution of a prespike stammer and evoked phases of fast release from retinal bipolar cells. J Neurosci. 2013 May 8. PMID: 23658155
- Mehta B, Snellman J, Chen S, Li W, Zenisek D: Synaptic ribbons influence the size and frequency of miniature-like evoked postsynaptic currents. Neuron. 2013 Feb 6. PMID: 23395377
- Lv C, Gould TJ, Bewersdorf J, Zenisek D: High-resolution optical imaging of zebrafish larval ribbon synapse protein RIBEYE, RIM2, and CaV 1.4 by stimulation emission depletion microscopy. Microsc Microanal. 2012 Aug; 2012 Jul 26. PMID: 22832038
- Francis AA, Mehta B, Zenisek D: Development of new peptide-based tools for studying synaptic ribbon function. J Neurophysiol. 2011 Aug; 2011 Jun 8. PMID: 21653726
- Snellman J, Mehta B, Babai N, Bartoletti TM, Akmentin W, Francis A, Matthews G, Thoreson W, Zenisek D: Acute destruction of the synaptic ribbon reveals a role for the ribbon in vesicle priming. Nat Neurosci. 2011 Jul 24; 2011 Jul 24. PMID: 21785435
- Xu HP, Furman M, Mineur YS, Chen H, King SL, Zenisek D, Zhou ZJ, Butts DA, Tian N, Picciotto MR, Crair MC: An instructive role for patterned spontaneous retinal activity in mouse visual map development. Neuron. 2011 Jun 23. PMID: 21689598
- An SJ, Grabner CP, Zenisek D: Real-time visualization of complexin during single exocytic events. Nat Neurosci. 2010 May; 2010 Apr 11. PMID: 20383135
- Joselevitch C, Zenisek D: Imaging exocytosis in retinal bipolar cells with TIRF microscopy. J Vis Exp. 2009 Jun 9; 2009 Jun 9. PMID: 19513018
- Snellman J, Zenisek D, Nawy S: Switching between transient and sustained signalling at the rod bipolar-AII amacrine cell synapse of the mouse retina. J Physiol. 2009 Jun 1; 2009 Mar 30. PMID: 19332496
- Coggins M, Zenisek D: Evidence that exocytosis is driven by calcium entry through multiple calcium channels in goldfish retinal bipolar cells. J Neurophysiol. 2009 May; 2009 Feb 25. PMID: 19244355
- Zenisek D: Vesicle association and exocytosis at ribbon and extraribbon sites in retinal bipolar cell presynaptic terminals. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008 Mar 25; 2008 Mar 13. PMID: 18339810
- Coggins MR, Grabner CP, Almers W, Zenisek D: Stimulated exocytosis of endosomes in goldfish retinal bipolar neurons. J Physiol. 2007 Nov 1; 2007 Sep 6. PMID: 17823206
- Grabner C, Zenisek D: Rustling synaptic vesicle cargo after exocytosis. Neuron. 2006 Jul 6. PMID: 16815324
- Prescott ED, Zenisek D: Recent progress towards understanding the synaptic ribbon. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2005 Aug. PMID: 16023852
- Zenisek D: Vesicle reuse revisited. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005 May 24; 2005 May 17. PMID: 15899973
- Merrifield CJ, Perrais D, Zenisek D: Coupling between clathrin-coated-pit invagination, cortactin recruitment, and membrane scission observed in live cells. Cell. 2005 May 20. PMID: 15907472
- Zenisek D, Horst NK, Merrifield C, Sterling P, Matthews G: Visualizing synaptic ribbons in the living cell. J Neurosci. 2004 Nov 3. PMID: 15525760
- An S, Zenisek D: Regulation of exocytosis in neurons and neuroendocrine cells. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2004 Oct. PMID: 15464884
- Zenisek D, Davila V, Wan L, Almers W: Imaging calcium entry sites and ribbon structures in two presynaptic cells. J Neurosci. 2003 Apr 1. PMID: 12684438