Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome; Hematologic Diseases; HIV; Mortality; Neurology; Patient Readmission; Veterans; Sleep Apnea, Obstructive; Stroke
As a health services research and implementation scientist, my research falls under two domains: improving post-ischemic stroke vascular risk factor management and investigating how medical comorbidities among ischemic stroke patients may be both novel stroke risk factors and adversely affect outcomes (e.g., mortality and readmission rates). Several areas that I am actively examining include: the use implementation science strategies and Lean Six Sigma approaches to improve the delivery of guideline-concordant post-stroke vascular risk factor management, understanding the culture of communication and collaboration between neurologists and primary care providers in post-stroke care, identifying barriers and facilitators to the delivery of high-quality stroke care, the role of HIV and stroke risk in the era of combined anti-retroviral therapy, hematologic abnormalities associated with higher mortality rates among stroke patients, and addressing cardiac screening in this high risk vascular population.
Specialized Terms: Ischemic stroke; Implementation Science; Lean Six Sigma/Systems Redesign; Health services research; Outcomes based research; Vascular Risk Factor Management; Obstructive sleep apnea; HIV/AIDS; Neuropathy
Extensive Research Description
- HIV and Ischemic Stroke in the era of combined antiretroviral therapy
- HIV and Hemorraghic Stroke in the era of combined antiretroviral therapy
- Cardiovascular Screening among Stroke Patients
- HIV Neuropathy
- Statins and Cerebrovascular Disease among those with HIV
- Thrombocytopenia and Ischemic Stroke Mortality
- Screening for Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Stroke Patients
Thrombocytopenia and in-hospital mortality risk among ischemic stroke patients.
Thrombocytopenia and in-hospital mortality risk among ischemic stroke patients. Sico JJ, Phipps MS, Concato J, Wells CK, Lo AC, Nadeau SE, Williams LS, Peixoto AJ, Gorman M, Boice JL, Bravata DM. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2013 Oct;22(7):e99-e102. doi: 10.1016/j.jstrokecerebrovasdis.2012.08.005. Epub 2012 Sep 10.
- Barriers and facilitators to provide quality TIA care in the Veterans Healthcare Administration Damush TM, Miech EJ, Sico JJ, Phipps MS, Arling G, Ferguson J, Austin C, Myers L, Baye F, Luckhurst C, Keating AB, Moran E, Bravata DM. Neurology. 2017 Dec 12;89(24):2422-2430.
- Taking care of volunteers in a stroke trial: a new assisted-management strategy. Stuart AC, Sico JJ, Viscoli CM, Tayal AH, Inzucchi SE, Ford GA, Furie KL, Cote R, Spence JD, Tanne D, Kernan WN. Stroke Vasc Neurol. 2016 Oct 25;1(3):108-114.
- Development and Validation of Electronic Quality Measures to Assess Care for Patients With Transient Ischemic Attack and Minor Ischemic Stroke. Bravata DM, Myers LJ, Cheng E, Reeves M, Baye F, Yu Z, Damush T, Miech EJ, Sico J, Phipps M, Zillich A, Johanning J, Chaturvedi S, Austin C, Ferguson J, Maryfield B, Snow K, Ofner S, Graham G, Rhude R, Williams LS, Arling G. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2017 Sep;10(9)
- Have clinicians adopted the use of brain MRI for patients with TIA and minor stroke? Chaturvedi S, Ofner S, Baye F, Myers LJ, Phipps M, Sico JJ, Damush T, Miech E, Reeves M, Johanning J, Williams LS, Arling G, Cheng E, Yu Z, Bravata D.Neurology. 2017 Jan 17;88(3):237-244. doi:
- Crossing the Communication Chasm: Challenges and Opportunities in Transitions of Care from the Hospital to the Primary Care Clinic. Rattray NA, Sico JJ, Cox LM, Russ AL, Matthias MS, Frankel RM. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Sico JJ, Patwa H: Risperidone-induced bulbar palsy-like syndrome. Dysphagia. 2011 Sep; 2010 Oct 5. PMID: 20922432