Anatomy; Information Science; Diseases; Analytical, Diagnostic and Therapeutic Techniques and Equipment
Public Health Interests
Bioinformatics; Clinical Trials
Dr. Gerrard's research lab is focusing on understanding the neurological processes that underlie epileptogenesis, seizure activation and seizure propagation. He is also intricately involved in several translational research projects within the Epilepsy Program that aim to advance the understanding of epilepsy and movement disorders as well as the treatment of our patients.
Extensive Research Description
1) Understand the neural network processes that underlie epileptogenesis, seizure activation and propagation
2) Understand the neurological processes involved in movement disorders such as Parkinson's Disease and Essential Tremor
3) Development of intelligent brain-machine interface devices that advance the treatment of patients with neurological disorders.
Expanding the intracranial montage does not increase IcEEG morbidity
J.L. Gerrard, H.P. Zaveri, W. Kasoff, K.P. Vives, L.H. Hirsch, R.B. Duckrow, D.D. Spencer (2012) Expanding the intracranial montage does not increase IcEEG morbidity. American Epilepsy Society Meeting. San Diego, CA 2012
Single-neuron responses in the human nucleus accumbens during a financial decision-making task.
S. R. Patel, S.A. Sheth, M.K. Mian, J. Gale, J.L. Gerrard, B. Greenberg, D. Dougherty, E. Eskandar (2012) Single-neuron responses in the human nucleus accumbens during a financial decision-making task. 2012
Modulation of primate hippocampal local field potential during learning
S.R. Patel, J.L. Gerrard, E. Eskandar. (2010) Modulation of primate hippocampal local field potential during learning. Program No. 204.18. 2010 Neuroscience Meeting. San Diego, CA; Society for Neuroscience, 2010. Online. 2010
A Virtual Place Cell? Virtual place related responses in primate hippocampal complex spike cells
J.L. Gerrard, S.R. Patel, E. Eskandar. (2010) A Virtual Place Cell? Virtual place related responses in primate hippocampal complex spike cells. Program No. 204.17. 2010 Neuroscience Meeting. San Diego, CA; Society for Neuroscience, 2010. Online 2010
Intraoperative Neurophysiology: A comprehensive guide to monitoring and mapping.
M.V. Simon, J.L. Gerrard, E. N. Eskandar (2009) Electrocorticography. In M.V. Simon (Ed.), Intraoperative Neurophysiology: A comprehensive guide to monitoring and mapping. Demos Medical Publishing: New York, pp 95-130. 2009
Sequence reactivation in the hippocampus is impaired in aged rats.
Gerrard JL, Burke SN, McNaughton BL, Barnes CA. Sequence reactivation in the hippocampus is impaired in aged rats. The Journal Of Neuroscience : The Official Journal Of The Society For Neuroscience 2008, 28:7883-90. 2008
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Herman WX, Smith RE, Kronemer SI, Watsky RE, Chen WC, Gober LM, Touloumes GJ, Khosla M, Raja A, Horien CL, Morse EC, Botta KL, Hirsch LJ, Alkawadri R, Gerrard JL, Spencer DD, Blumenfeld H: A Switch and Wave of Neuronal Activity in the Cerebral Cortex During the First Second of Conscious Perception. Cereb Cortex. 2019 Feb 1. PMID: 29194517
- Joshi RB, Duckrow RB, Goncharova II, Gerrard JL, Spencer DD, Hirsch LJ, Godwin DW, Zaveri HP: Seizure susceptibility and infraslow modulatory activity in the intracranial electroencephalogram. Epilepsia. 2018 Nov; 2018 Sep 6. PMID: 30187919
- Bari AA, Mikell CB, Abosch A, Ben-Haim S, Buchanan RJ, Burton AW, Carcieri S, Cosgrove GR, D'Haese PF, Daskalakis ZJ, Eskandar EN, Gerrard JL, Goodman WK, Greenberg BD, Gross RE, Hamani C, Kiss ZHT, Konrad P, Kopell BH, Krinke L, Langevin JP, Lozano AM, Malone D, Mayberg HS, Miller JP, Patil PG, Peichel D, Petersen EA, Rezai AR, Richardson RM, Riva-Posse P, Sankar T, Schwalb JM, Simpson HB, Slavin K, Stypulkowski PH, Tosteson T, Warnke P, Willie JT, Zaghloul KA, Neimat JS, Pouratian N, Sheth SA: Charting the road forward in psychiatric neurosurgery: proceedings of the 2016 American Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery workshop on neuromodulation for psychiatric disorders. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2018 Aug; 2018 Jan 25. PMID: 29371415
- Gummadavelli A, Zaveri HP, Spencer DD, Gerrard JL: Expanding Brain-Computer Interfaces for Controlling Epilepsy Networks: Novel Thalamic Responsive Neurostimulation in Refractory Epilepsy. Front Neurosci. 2018; 2018 Jul 31. PMID: 30108472
- Fomchenko EI, Gilmore EJ, Matouk CC, Gerrard JL, Sheth KN: Management of Subdural Hematomas: Part II. Surgical Management of Subdural Hematomas. Curr Treat Options Neurol. 2018 Jul 18; 2018 Jul 18. PMID: 30019165
- Fomchenko EI, Gilmore EJ, Matouk CC, Gerrard JL, Sheth KN: Management of Subdural Hematomas: Part I. Medical Management of Subdural Hematomas. Curr Treat Options Neurol. 2018 Jun 23; 2018 Jun 23. PMID: 29936548
- Spencer DD, Gerrard JL, Zaveri HP: The roles of surgery and technology in understanding focal epilepsy and its comorbidities. Lancet Neurol. 2018 Apr; 2018 Mar 13. PMID: 29553383
- Louis ED, Patel A, Gerrard JL: What is the pathway forward for the surgical management of essential tremor? Ann Neurol. 2017 Mar; 2017 Mar 15. PMID: 28195360
- Kann BH, Yu JB, Stahl JM, Bond JE, Loiselle C, Chiang VL, Bindra RS, Gerrard JL, Carlson DJ: The impact of cobalt-60 source age on biologically effective dose in high-dose functional Gamma Knife radiosurgery. J Neurosurg. 2016 Dec. PMID: 27903196
- Joshi RB, Gaspard N, Goncharova II, Duckrow RB, Duncan D, Gerrard JL, Spencer DD, Hirsch LJ, Zaveri HP: Regional and network relationship in the intracranial EEG second spectrum. Clin Neurophysiol. 2016 Nov; 2016 Sep 10. PMID: 27692590
- Joshi RB, Gaspard N, Goncharova II, Pavlova M, Duckrow RB, Gerrard JL, Spencer DD, Hirsch LJ, Zaveri HP: Progressive change in sleep over multiple nights of intracranial EEG monitoring. Clin Neurophysiol. 2016 May; 2016 Mar 3. PMID: 27072103
- Sachdev RN, Gaspard N, Gerrard JL, Hirsch LJ, Spencer DD, Zaveri HP: Delta rhythm in wakefulness: evidence from intracranial recordings in human beings. J Neurophysiol. 2015 Aug; 2015 Jun 17. PMID: 26084904
- Gummadavelli A, Kundishora AJ, Willie JT, Andrews JP, Gerrard JL, Spencer DD, Blumenfeld H: Neurostimulation to improve level of consciousness in patients with epilepsy. Neurosurg Focus. 2015 Jun. PMID: 26030698
- Alkawadri R, Gaspard N, Goncharova II, Spencer DD, Gerrard JL, Zaveri H, Duckrow RB, Blumenfeld H, Hirsch LJ: The spatial and signal characteristics of physiologic high frequency oscillations. Epilepsia. 2014 Dec; 2014 Dec 3. PMID: 25470216
- Baranoski JF, Grant RA, Hirsch LJ, Visintainer P, Gerrard JL, Günel M, Matouk CC, Spencer DD, Bulsara KR: Seizure control for intracranial arteriovenous malformations is directly related to treatment modality: a meta-analysis. J Neurointerv Surg. 2014 Nov; 2013 Dec 6. PMID: 24319021
- Yoo JY, Farooque P, Chen WC, Youngblood MW, Zaveri HP, Gerrard JL, Spencer DD, Hirsch LJ, Blumenfeld H: Ictal spread of medial temporal lobe seizures with and without secondary generalization: an intracranial electroencephalography analysis. Epilepsia. 2014 Feb; 2014 Jan 13. PMID: 24417694
- Lu AY, Yeung JT, Gerrard JL, Michaelides EM, Sekula RF Jr, Bulsara KR: Hemifacial spasm and neurovascular compression. ScientificWorldJournal. 2014; 2014 Oct 28. PMID: 25405219