Funding for Travel
In addition to presenting at Student Research Day, students are encouraged to present research work at scientific meetings.
Travel Guidelines Update - August 2021
The University is now allowing for fully vaccinated faculty, staff and students to participate in University sponsored travel as long as they receive the required approvals. Graduate and Professional Students are required to fill out a travel form and submit to their Health and Safety Leaders (Dr. Michael Schwartz and Dr. John Francis) prior to traveling outside of CT.
The signed travel form by the Health and Safety Leaders must be attached to the travel application (in addition to the other required documents).
Note: The university is no longer reimbursing before the travel has occurred. Students are financially responsible if a conference is cancelled.
As of July 1, 2020 in order to ensure availability of funds for all medical students, reimbursement is limited to one conference per academic year for a medical student.
It has been the policy of the Medical School to fund half the cost (up to a maximum of $700) of travel to a major scientific meeting. We expect the Yale department where the research was done to pay for the other half. For students who wish to apply for support for this travel from the Office of Student Research, please follow the directions below:
- Students must apply for travel money at least thirty days before the trip (see application below).
- We expect students to plan ahead to get the best airfare.
- We will pay for hotel expenses for a maximum of three days, but expect that students will try to find an economical place to stay.
- Meals covered by conference fees or airline ticket fees are not to be additionally reimbursed.
- If you need transportation in the city, we would like you to take public transportation if at all possible, rather than costly taxis.
This policy is intended to permit more students the opportunity to present their work at meetings. Please review the “Reimbursement Guidelines” document below.
- Reimbursement Guidelines
- Medical Student Travel Application Form
- Travel Form for Professional Students (Effective March 1, 2021)
- Travel Expense Report Form
To complete the application form electronically, download the PDF files above and open using Adobe Acrobat. Further instructions are available within the document itself.
Alternatively, download and print the application document using Acrobat Reader for PDF files or Microsoft Word for DOC files (Windows only) Fill out the printed application using a type-writer, word processor, or by printing neatly.
Please submit your complete application to the Office of Student Research at email@example.com.
Please contact the Office of Student Research at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Please note that receipts provided must be less than 120 days old. Receipts older than 120 days will not be reimbursed.
- Also, there is no reimbursement of third party expenses. If a student is sharing an expense (lodging, meal, etc.) the student must provide a receipt for only their portion of the expense for reimbursement. For example, if a student is sharing lodging costs, the hotel/motel should be able to print a receipt for the student's cost for lodging. Venmo is not an acceptable form of payment.