Air Conditioning; Blood Banks; Blood Transfusion; Cytoskeleton; Diving; Membranes; Metabolism; Medical Laboratory Science; Apoptosis
Dr. Snyder's research relates to the broad field of Transfusion Medicine and, more specifically, Transfusion Oncology and Transfusion Immunobiology. His current research includes an on-going evaluation of the platelet storage lesion. This includes evaluation of alterations that occur in platelet metabolism during various storage conditions, in the platelet's cystoskeleton and in the mitochondria within platelets. Studies of the in vitro and in vivo aspects of platelet storage are an on-going effort in the laboratory. Dr. Snyder also has a long-term history of investigating the role of leukodepletion in blood components. Most recently, the laboratory has turned to the evaluation of new pathogen reduction technology. This includes the addition of various compounds to blood to remove known and potentially dangerous, as well as unknown, viral, bacterial, and protozoal contaminants in donated blood. The laboratory has a special expertise in radiolabeling human blood cells. The laboratory is currently performing clinical trials related to in vivo recovery and survivals using indium-111 and chromium-51 radiolabeled platelets and red cells, as well as Phase III trials for transfusion of pathogen-reduced blood components into patients. We are also involved in ongoing evaluations of clinical responses of patients to pheresis interventions for a variety of immunologic disorders. This is often done in conjunction with the evaluation of new apheresis machine hardware developed by a variety of corporations.
Dr. Snyder's current research also involves the seeding of biodegradable support structures (mandrils) for use with children with congenital heart disease. This is done in conjunction with Dr. Christopher Breuer.
Specialized Terms: Cytoskeleton; Health and Medicine; Membranes; Metabolism; Apheresis Technology; Pathogen Inactivation; Platelet Apoptosis; Platelet Storage Lesion Manufacturing Tissue Engineered Vascular Grafts for Pediatric Surgical Patients
Analysis of transfusion reactions associated with pre-storage pooled platelet components
Tormey CA, Sweeney JD, Champion M, Pisciotto PT, Snyder EL, Wu YY. Analysis of transfusion reactions associated with pre-storage pooled platelet components. Transfusion (2008, in press)
Development of a humanized mouse model to study the role of macrophages in allograft injury.
Kirkiles-Smith NC, et al., Snyder, EL, et al. Development of a humanized mouse model to study the role of macrophages in allograft injury. Transplantation (2008, in press).
Component therapy to cellular therapy and beyond- a Darwinian approach to transfusion medicine
Snyder EL. Component therapy to cellular therapy and beyond- a Darwinian approach to transfusion medicine. Transfusion 2008; 48:2000-7.
Mobilization, collection and transplantation of peripheral blood HPCs in a patient with multiple myeloma and hemoglobin SC disease.
Tormey CA, Snyder EL. Cooper DL. Mobilization, collection and transplantation of peripheral blood HPCs in a patient with multiple myeloma and hemoglobin SC disease. Transfusion 2008;48:1930-1933
Cryopreservation of AS-5 Collected RBCs in PVC or EVA bags, by the Closed ACP-215 System Allows Extended Storage for 14 Days Post Thawing
Cancelas J, Bandarenko N, Snyder E, et al. Cryopreservation of AS-5 Collected RBCs in PVC or EVA bags, by the Closed ACP-215 System Allows Extended Storage for 14 Days Post Thawing. Transfusion 2007;47:680-6.
Platelet dose consistency and its effect on the number of platelet transfusions for support of thrombocytopenia.
Murphy S, Snyder EL, Cable R, et al. Platelet dose consistency and its effect on the number of platelet transfusions for support of thrombocytopenia. An analysis of the SPRINT Trial of platelets photochemically treated with amotosalen HCL and ultraviolet A light. Transfusion 2006;46:24-33.
Logistics of Platelet Concentrates
Eisenbarth S, Champion M, Snyder EL. Logistics of Platelet Concentrates. Vox Sang. 2007:
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Sidhu D, Snyder EL, Tormey CA: Two approaches to the clinical dilemma of treating TTP with therapeutic plasma exchange in patients with a history of anaphylactic reactions to plasma. J Clin Apher. 2017 Jun; 2016 Jun 1. PMID: 27246502
- Hendrickson JE, Roubinian NH, Chowdhury D, Brambilla D, Murphy EL, Wu Y, Ness PM, Gehrie EA, Snyder EL, George Hauser R, Gottschall JL, Kleinman S, Kakaiya R, Strauss RG, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) Recipient Epidemiology and Donor Evaluation Study (REDS-III).: Incidence of transfusion reactions: a multicenter study utilizing systematic active surveillance and expert adjudication. Transfusion. 2016 Oct; 2016 Jul 26. PMID: 27460200
- Snyder EL, Stramer SL, Benjamin RJ: The safety of the blood supply--time to raise the bar. N Engl J Med. 2015 May 14; 2015 Apr 22. PMID: 25902384
- Majhail NS, Chitphakdithai P, Logan B, King R, Devine S, Rossmann SN, Hale G, Hartzman RJ, Karanes C, Laport GG, Nemecek E, Snyder EL, Switzer GE, Miller J, Navarro W, Confer DL, Levine JE: Significant improvement in survival after unrelated donor hematopoietic cell transplantation in the recent era. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2015 Jan; 2014 Oct 15. PMID: 25445638
- Burns LJ, Gajewski JL, Majhail NS, Navarro W, Perales MA, Shereck E, Selby GB, Snyder EL, Woolfrey AE, Litzow MR: Challenges and potential solutions for recruitment and retention of hematopoietic cell transplantation physicians: the National Marrow Donor Program's System Capacity Initiative Physician Workforce Group report. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2014 May; 2014 Feb 5. PMID: 24508838
- Giralt S, Costa L, Schriber J, Dipersio J, Maziarz R, McCarty J, Shaughnessy P, Snyder E, Bensinger W, Copelan E, Hosing C, Negrin R, Petersen FB, Rondelli D, Soiffer R, Leather H, Pazzalia A, Devine S: Optimizing autologous stem cell mobilization strategies to improve patient outcomes: consensus guidelines and recommendations. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2014 Mar; 2013 Oct 17. PMID: 24141007
- Winters JL, Burgstaler EA, Gottschall JL, Balogun RA, Houghton JR, Lee WJ, Snyder EL: A multicenter evaluation of a new therapeutic plasma exchange procedure. Transfusion. 2013 Dec; 2013 Apr 15. PMID: 23581280
- Cooper DL, Proytcheva M, Medoff E, Seropian SE, Snyder EL, Krause DS, Wu Y: Successful collection and engraftment of autologous peripheral blood progenitor cells in poorly mobilized patients receiving high-dose granulocyte colony-stimulating factor. J Clin Apher. 2012 Nov; 2012 May 7. PMID: 22566214
- Maitta RW, Avery L, Champion M, Vaughn D, Baillargeon C, Lederer J, Snyder EL: How do we ... integrate transfusion medicine and tissue dispensing programs in an academic medical center: response to a changing regulatory environment. Transfusion. 2012 Jun; 2011 Oct 7. PMID: 21981598
- Hibino N, Nalbandian A, Devine L, Martinez RS, McGillicuddy E, Yi T, Karandish S, Ortolano GA, Shin'oka T, Snyder E, Breuer CK: Comparison of human bone marrow mononuclear cell isolation methods for creating tissue-engineered vascular grafts: novel filter system versus traditional density centrifugation method. Tissue Eng Part C Methods. 2011 Oct; 2011 Jul 1. PMID: 21609305
- Choate J, Snyder EL: The rise of cellular therapy. Transfus Apher Sci. 2011 Aug; 2011 Jul 13. PMID: 21742555
- Cooper DL, Pratt K, Baker J, Medoff E, Conkling-Walsh A, Foss F, Snyder E, Yen W, Seropian SE: Late afternoon dosing of plerixafor for stem cell mobilization: a practical solution. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2011 Jun; 2011 Apr 20. PMID: 21658654
- Snyder E, Choate J: The emergence of cellular therapy: impact on transfusion medicine. Transfusion. 2010 Nov; 2010 Aug 31. PMID: 20819189
- Snyder EL, Whitley P, Kingsbury T, Miripol J, Tormey CA: In vitro and in vivo evaluation of a whole blood platelet-sparing leukoreduction filtration system. Transfusion. 2010 Oct; 2010 Oct 4. PMID: 20497514
- Roh JD, Sawh-Martinez R, Brennan MP, Jay SM, Devine L, Rao DA, Yi T, Mirensky TL, Nalbandian A, Udelsman B, Hibino N, Shinoka T, Saltzman WM, Snyder E, Kyriakides TR, Pober JS, Breuer CK: Tissue-engineered vascular grafts transform into mature blood vessels via an inflammation-mediated process of vascular remodeling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Mar 9; 2010 Mar 5. PMID: 20207947
- Tormey CA, Peddinghaus ME, Erickson M, King KE, Cushing MM, Bill J, Goodrich T, Snyder EL: Improved plasma removal efficiency for therapeutic plasma exchange using a new apheresis platform. Transfusion. 2010 Feb; 2009 Oct 5. PMID: 19804570
- McClaskey J, Xu M, Snyder EL, Tormey CA: Clinical trials for pathogen reduction in transfusion medicine: a review. Transfus Apher Sci. 2009 Dec; 2009 Sep 29. PMID: 19793679
- Tormey CA, Sweeney JD, Champion MH, Pisciotto PT, Snyder EL, Wu Y: Analysis of transfusion reactions associated with prestorage-pooled platelet components. Transfusion. 2009 Jun; 2009 Mar 23. PMID: 19389029
- Kirkiles-Smith NC, Harding MJ, Shepherd BR, Fader SA, Yi T, Wang Y, McNiff JM, Snyder EL, Lorber MI, Tellides G, Pober JS: Development of a humanized mouse model to study the role of macrophages in allograft injury. Transplantation. 2009 Jan 27. PMID: 19155972
- Erickson ML, Champion MH, Klein R, Ross RL, Neal ZM, Snyder EL: Management of blood shortages in a tertiary care academic medical center: the Yale-New Haven Hospital frozen blood reserve. Transfusion. 2008 Oct; 2008 Jul 8. PMID: 18631164
- Snyder EL: Component therapy to cellular therapy and beyond- a Darwinian approach to transfusion medicine. Transfusion. 2008 Sep; 2008 Aug 6. PMID: 18694467
- Tormey CA, Snyder EL, Cooper DL: Mobilization, collection, and transplantation of peripheral blood hematopoietic progenitor cells in a patient with multiple myeloma and hemoglobin SC disease. Transfusion. 2008 Sep; 2008 May 29. PMID: 18513256
- Snyder E, McCullough J, Slichter SJ, Strauss RG, Lopez-Plaza I, Lin JS, Corash L, Conlan MG, SPRINT Study Group.: Clinical safety of platelets photochemically treated with amotosalen HCl and ultraviolet A light for pathogen inactivation: the SPRINT trial. Transfusion. 2005 Dec. PMID: 16371039
- Snyder E, Raife T, Lin L, Cimino G, Metzel P, Rheinschmidt M, Baril L, Davis K, Buchholz DH, Corash L, Conlan MG: Recovery and life span of 111indium-radiolabeled platelets treated with pathogen inactivation with amotosalen HCl (S-59) and ultraviolet A light. Transfusion. 2004 Dec. PMID: 15584988
- Paglino JC, Pomper GJ, Fisch GS, Champion MH, Snyder EL: Reduction of febrile but not allergic reactions to RBCs and platelets after conversion to universal prestorage leukoreduction. Transfusion. 2004 Jan. PMID: 14692962
- Snyder EL, Elfath MD, Taylor H, Rugg N, Greenwalt TJ, Baril L, Whitley P, Brantigan B, Story K: Collection of two units of leukoreduced RBCs from a single donation with a portable multiple-component collection system. Transfusion. 2003 Dec. PMID: 14641866
- Rinder HM, Snyder EL, Tracey JB, Dincecco D, Wang C, Baril L, Rinder CS, Smith BR: Reversibility of severe metabolic stress in stored platelets after in vitro plasma rescue or in vivo transfusion: restoration of secretory function and maintenance of platelet survival. Transfusion. 2003 Sep. PMID: 12919425
- Wu YY, Snyder EL: Safety of the blood supply: role of pathogen reduction. Blood Rev. 2003 Jun. PMID: 12642123
- Snyder EL, Rinder HM: Platelet storage--time to come in from the cold? N Engl J Med. 2003 May 15. PMID: 12748320