Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases
Research interests: Kayoko Shioda, DVM, MPH is a doctoral student in the Department of Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases at Yale. She is interested in using mathematical modeling to advance our understanding of infectious disease dynamics. Her dissertation research focuses on the evaluation of the impact of pneumococcal conjugate vaccines (PCVs) using time series data. She aims to provide quantitative evidence to support decision-making around the adoption and continued use of PCVs in various countries, especially resource-poor settings where the burden of hospitalization and death from pneumonia is greatest. Before starting Ph.D. training in 2016, she earned a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) from the University of Tokyo in 2012 and MPH from Emory University in 2014. She had worked in the Division of Viral Diseases at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, GA as an epidemiology fellow for two years. With her interest in translating evidence into practice, she has also been collaborating with government leaders and working for a start-up company, Blue Industries in Japan.
- Kayoko Shioda, Leslie Barclay, Sylvia Becker-Dreps, Filemon Bucardo-Rivera, Philip Cooper, Daniel C. Payne, Jan Vinjé, Benjamin A. Lopman: Can Use of Viral Load Improve Norovirus Clinical Diagnosis and Disease Attribution? Open forum infectious diseases. 08/2017; 4(3), DOI: 10.1093/ofid/ofx131
- Kayoko Shioda, Leonard Cosmas, Allan Audi, Nicole Gregoricus, Jan Vinjé, Umesh D. Parashar, Joel M. Montgomery, Daniel R. Feikin, Robert F. Breiman, Aron J. Hall: Population-Based Incidence Rates of Diarrheal Disease Associated with Norovirus, Sapovirus, and Astrovirus in Kenya. PLoS ONE 04/2016; 11(4):e0145943., DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0145943
- Kayoko Shioda, Anita Kambhampati, Aron J Hall, Ben A Lopman: Global age distribution of pediatric norovirus cases. Vaccine 06/2015; 33(33)., DOI:10.1016/j.vaccine.2015.05.051
- Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=BiawVxEAAAAJ&hl=ja
- ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Kayoko_Shioda
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kayoko-shioda-dvm-mph-3ba75795/