Stigma and population healthStigma is increasingly recognized as a fundamental cause of population health disparities. The field of stigma research, however, has tended to investigate the health effects of only a few individual stigmas and has typically examined each stigma in isolation. The population-wide health impact across all stigmas is unknown. Furthermore, little is known about why some stigmas are associated with more stress exposure and poorer health outcomes than others and how varying features across stigmas might explain these disparities. Thus, our lab has sought to quantitatively and comprehensively evaluate the effects of stigma on health by drawing from a wide range of theoretical perspectives. We combine epidemiologic and experimental methods to examine this question.
- Leluţiu-Weinberger, C., Rendina, H. J., Mirandola, M., Gios, L., Folch, C., Rafila, A., & Pachankis, J. E. (2018). The role of gay-related stigma in HIV-risk behavior among sexual minority men in Europe. AIDS and Behavior, 1-11.
- Bränström, R., & Pachankis, J. E. (2018). Validating the syndemic threat surrounding sexual minority men's health in a population-based study with national registry linkage and a heterosexual comparison. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, 78(4), 376-382.
- Burton, C. L., Wang, K., & Pachankis, J. E. (2018). Does getting stigma under the skin make it thinner? Emotion regulation as a stress-contingent mediator of stigma and mental health. Clinical Psychological Science.
- Bränström, R., Hatzenbuehler, M. L., Tinghög, P., & Pachankis, J. E. (2018). Sexual orientation differences in outpatient psychiatric treatment and antidepressant usage: Evidence from a population-based study of siblings. European Journal of Epidemiology, 33(6), 591-599.
- Pachankis, J. E., & Bränström, R. (2018). Hidden from happiness: Structural stigma, sexual orientation concealment, and life satisfaction across 28 countries. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 86(5), 403-415.
- Pachankis, J. E., Hatzenbuehler, M. L., Wang, K., Burton, C. L., Crawford, F. W., Phelan, J. C., & Link, B. G. (2017). The burden of stigma on health and well-being: A taxonomy of concealment, course, disruptiveness, aesthetics, origin, and peril across 93 stigmas.Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 44(4), 451-474.
- Bränström, R., Pachankis, J. E. (2018). Sexual orientation disparities in the co-occurrence of substance use and psychological distress: A national population-based study (2008-2015). Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 53(4), 403-412.
- White Hughto, J. M., Reisner, S. L., Pachankis, J. E. (2015). Transgender stigma and health: A critical review of stigma determinants, mechanisms, and interventions. Social Science & Medicine, 147, 222-231.