LGBTQ Lifecourse IdentityDeveloping a healthy LGBTQ identity can be a formidable task, especially in high-stigma contexts or without family support. Our lab utilizes diverse methodologies (e.g., longitudinal representative cohort studies, studies of siblings and parents, daily diary methods) to explore the role of identity tasks, like coming out, on mental health, as well as the structural, historical, and developmental determinants of these tasks. Our ultimate goal is to understand why LGBTQ populations face substantial mental health disparities and to create structural and individual interventions to reduce these disparities.
- Pachankis, J. E., Sullivan, T. J., Feinstein, B. A., & Newcomb, M. E (2018). Young adult gay and bisexual men's stigma experiences and mental health: An 8-year longitudinal study. Developmental Psychology, 54(7), 1381-1393.
- Pachankis, J. E., Sullivan, T. J., & Moore, N. F. (2018). A 7-year longitudinal study of sexual minority young men's parental relationships and mental health. Journal of Family Psychology.
- White Hughto, J. M., Reisner, S. L., Kershaw, T. S., Altice, F. L., Biello, K. B., Mimiaga, M. J., … Pachankis, J. E. (2018). A multisite, longitudinal study of risk factors for incarceration and impact on mental health and substance use among young transgender women in the USA. Journal of Public Health.
- Pachankis, J. E., Cochran, S. D., & Mays, V. M. (2015). The mental health of sexual minority adults in and out of the closet: A population-based study. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 83(5), 890-901.
- Pachankis, J. E., Hatzenbuehler, M. L., & Starks, T. J. (2014). The influence of structural stigma and rejection sensitivity on young sexual minority men's daily tobacco and alcohol use. Social Science & Medicine, 103, 67-75.
- Pachankis, J. E., & Hatzenbuehler, M. L. (2013). The social development of contingent self-worth in sexual minority young men: An empirical investigation of the "Best Little Boy in the World" hypothesis. Basic and Applied Social Psychology, 35(2), 176-190.
- Pachankis, J. E., Buttenwieser, I. G., Bernstein, L. B., & Bayles, D. O. (2013). A longitudinal, mixed methods study of sexual position identity, behavior, and fantasies among young sexual minority men. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 42(7), 1241-1253.
- Pachankis, J. E., Westmaas, J. L., & Dougherty, L. R. (2011). The influence of sexual orientation and masculinity on young men's tobacco smoking. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 79(2), 142-152.
- Pachankis, J. E., Goldfried, M. R., & Ramrattan, M. E. (2008). Extension of the rejection sensitivity construct to the interpersonal functioning of gay men. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 76(2), 306-317.
- Wang, K., & Pachankis, J. E. (2015). Gay-related rejection sensitivity as a risk factor for condomless sex.AIDS and Behavior, 20(4), 763-767.