Clinical Competence; Curriculum; Education, Graduate; Internal Medicine; Learning; Evidence-Based Practice
Dr. Green’s research interests include medical education curriculum development, evaluation of clinical competence, evidence-based practice, and lifelong self-directed learning in medicine. In particular, he has investigated strategies to integrate evidence based medicine into internal medicine training through trials of educational interventions; national surveys of residency programs; systematic reviews of curricula and evaluation instruments; a prospective study of the epidemiology of residents’ medical information needs; and a qualitative analysis of barriers to answering clinical questions.
As a Kimball Scholar at the American Board of Internal Medicine, Dr Green has combined evidence-based practice “technology” and insights from physician learning studies in an internet-based “Point of Care Clinical Question” module. Physicians document the characteristics, context, pursuit, and application of their clinical questions in a fashion that facilitates reflection and evidence-based decision-making. This module will become a practice-based alternative to the current multiple choice Self Evaluation Modules in the Maintenance of Certification process. In addition, Dr. Green is collaborating with ABIM scientists on related research on the psychometric properties of the module, the characteristics of physicians’ information needs and information seeking behavior, and the association of self-directed learning behaviors with several self-directed learning “readiness” evaluation instruments.
Working with and ACGME / ABIM task force, Dr. Green is explicating the ACGME competencies through developmental behavioral "milestones," for standardized resident evaluation and program accreditation.
Specialized Terms: Graduate medical education; Curriculum development and evaluation; Evidence-based practice; Life-long learning; Evaluation of clinical competence
- Green ML, Aagaard EM, Caverzagie KJ, et al. Charting the Road to Competence: Developmental Milestones for Internal Medicine Residency Training. Journal of Graduate Medical Education. 2009;1(1):5-20.
- Green ML, Reddy SG, Holmboe E. Teaching and evaluating point of care learning with an Internet-based clinical-question portfolio. J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2009;29(4):209-219.
- Shaneyfelt T, Baum KD, Bell D, Feldstein D, Houston TK, Kaatz S, Whelan C, Green ML. Instruments for Evaluating Education in Evidence-Based Practice: A Systematic Review. JAMA. 2006;296(9):1116-1127.
- Green ML, Ruff TR. Why Do Residents Fail to Answer Their Clinical Questions? A Qualitative Study of Barriers to Practicing Evidence-Based Medicine. Acad Med. 2005;80(2):176-182.
- Green ML. Identifying, appraising, and implementing medical education curricula: a guide for medical educators. Ann Intern Med. 2001135:889-896.
- Green ML, Ciampi M, Ellis PJ. Residents’ medical information needs in clinic: are they being met? Am J Med. 2000109:218-2000.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Green ML, Moeller JJ, Spak JM: Test-enhanced learning in health professions education: A systematic review: BEME Guide No. 48. Med Teach. 2018 Feb 1; 2018 Feb 1. PMID: 29390949
- Ryan SA, Martel S, Pantalon M, Martino S, Tetrault J, Thung SF, Bernstein SL, Auinger P, Green ML, Fiellin DA, O'Connor PG, D'Onofrio G: Screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment (SBIRT) for alcohol and other drug use among adolescents: evaluation of a pediatric residency curriculum. Subst Abus. 2012. PMID: 22738002
- Tetrault JM, Green ML, Martino S, Thung SF, Degutis LC, Ryan SA, Martel S, Pantalon MV, Bernstein SL, O'Connor PG, Fiellin DA, D'Onofrio G: Developing and implementing a multispecialty graduate medical education curriculum on Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT). Subst Abus. 2012. PMID: 22489589
- Green ML, Holmboe E: Perspective: the ACGME toolbox: half empty or half full? Acad Med. 2010 May. PMID: 20520026
- Green ML, Reddy SG, Holmboe E: Teaching and evaluating point of care learning with an Internet-based clinical-question portfolio. J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2009 Fall. PMID: 19998450
- Horwitz LI, Moin T, Green ML: Development and implementation of an oral sign-out skills curriculum. J Gen Intern Med. 2007 Oct; 2007 Aug 3. PMID: 17674110
- Windish DM, Huot SJ, Green ML: Medicine residents' understanding of the biostatistics and results in the medical literature. JAMA. 2007 Sep 5. PMID: 17785646
- Green ML: Evaluating evidence-based practice performance. ACP J Club. 2006 Sep-Oct. PMID: 16944848
- Horwitz LI, Krumholz HM, Huot SJ, Green ML: Internal medicine residents' clinical and didactic experiences after work hour regulation: a survey of chief residents. J Gen Intern Med. 2006 Sep. PMID: 16918742
- Green ML: Evaluating evidence-based practice performance. Evid Based Med. 2006 Aug. PMID: 17213114
- Horwitz LI, Krumholz HM, Green ML, Huot SJ: Transfers of patient care between house staff on internal medicine wards: a national survey. Arch Intern Med. 2006 Jun 12. PMID: 16772243
- Green ML: A train-the-trainer model for integrating evidence-based medicine training into podiatric medical education. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2005 Sep-Oct. PMID: 16166472
- Kernan WN, Quagliarello V, Green ML: Student faculty rounds: a peer-mediated learning activity for internal medicine clerkships. Med Teach. 2005 Mar. PMID: 16019334
- Green ML, Ruff TR: Why do residents fail to answer their clinical questions? A qualitative study of barriers to practicing evidence-based medicine. Acad Med. 2005 Feb. PMID: 15671325
- Green ML: The fool wonders, the wise (women) ask...about tropical diseases in their practice. BMJ. 2004 Oct 30. PMID: 15514350
- Green ML: Management of dyslipidemias in the age of statins. Prim Care. 2003 Dec. PMID: 15024890
- Green ML, Gross CP, Kernan WN, Wong JG, Holmboe ES: Integrating teaching skills and clinical content in a faculty development workshop. J Gen Intern Med. 2003 Jun. PMID: 12823654
- Green ML: Evaluation and management of dyslipidemia in patients with HIV infection. J Gen Intern Med. 2002 Oct. PMID: 12390557
- Korthuis PT, Nekhlyudov L, Ziganshin AU, Sadigh M, Green ML: Implementation of a cross-cultural evidence-based medicine curriculum. Med Teach. 2002 Jul. PMID: 12193334