Emergency Medicine; Heart Arrest; Sepsis; Stroke
Ischemic stroke is a leading cause of death with limited therapeutic options. Blood flow delivery to the area of a stroke is dependent upon many factors. Dr. Wira and stroke researchers with the Yale ED have participated in studies evaluating neuroprotective agents, clot dissolution medications, neuro-interventional procedures, and have also conducted observational studies characterizing the hemodynamic profile and myocardial complications seen in acute stroke patients. This research will lead to the development of better acute therapeutic interventions in ischemic stroke.
Specialized Terms: Stroke; Sepsis; Cardiac arrest
Etomidate use for rapid sequence intubation is safe in patients with severe sepsis
Ehrman R, Wira, C, Mullen M, et al; Etomidate use for rapid sequence intubation is safe in patients with severe sepsis, Internal and Emergency Medicine, 2011 (in press).
Cardiac Complications in Patients with Acute Ischemic Stroke.
Wira C, Lewandowski C, Martinez-Capolino C, Iyer G, Sherwin R, Rivers E. Cardiac Complications in Patients with Acute Ischemic Stroke. Western Journal of Emergency Medicine, (In Press).
- Wira C, Lewandowski C, Silver B, Martinez-Capolino C, Rivers E. Correlation of Ejection Fraction with Transcranial Doppler Flow Rates in Patients with Acute Strokes. Western Journal of Emergency Medicine,(In Press).
Surviving Sepsis in LMIC: New Directions for Care and Research.
Becker JU, Theodosis C, Jacob ST, Wira CR, Groce NE. Surviving Sepsis in LMIC: New Directions for Care and Research. Lancet Infectious Dis, 2009 Sept; 9(9); 577-82.
- Wira C, Sather J. Clinical Risk Stratification for Gastrointestional Hemorrhage: Still No Consensus. Critical Care, 2008;12(3):154.
- Wira C, Becker J, Martin G, Donnino M. Anti-arrhythmic and Vasopressor Medications for the Treatment of Ventricular Fibrillation in Severe Hypothermia: A Systematic Review of the Literature. Resuscitation, 2008 Jul; 78(1):21-9.
- Donnino M, Miller J, Goyal N, Loomba M, Sankey S, Sherwin R, Otero R, Dolcourt B, Wira C. Early Lactate Clearance is Associated with Improved Outcomes in Post-Cardiac Arrest Patients. Resuscitation, 2007 Nov; 75 (2): 229-34.
Application of Normothermic Cardiac Arrest Algorithms to Hypothermic Cardiac Arrest in a Canine Model.
Wira C, Martin G, Stoner J, Margolis K, Donnino M. Application of Normothermic Cardiac Arrest Algorithms to Hypothermic Cardiac Arrest in a Canine Model. Resuscitation, 2006 Jun;69(3):509-16.
- Becker J, Wira C, Arnold J, Ischemic Stroke, September 5, 2006, EMedicine, www.emedicine.com.
- Wira C, Rivers E, Donnino M, Shirazi E, Goyal N, Tomlanovich M. Surrogate Markers for Lactic Acidosis in Patients with Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock; Critical Care Medicine 2004, Vol. 32, No. 12 (Suppl.), p. A151.