Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can apply for elective rotations at Yale?
Only residents from one of the eight Yale Affiliated Hospitals will be accepted:
- Bridgeport Hospital
- CIFC – Danbury
- Danbury Hospital
- Greenwich Hospital
- Griffin Hospital
- Norwalk Hospital
- St. Mary's Hospital
- Waterbury Hospital
If you are not a resident from one of these hospitals, we cannot schedule you for an elective. The Sections within the Department have been notified to refer all requests for Internal Medicine electives to Joanna Whitehead
- How do I submit an application?
Complete all the application materials.
Submit your completed applications to your Residency Coordinator for submission.
- How many electives can I request?
- We allow a maximum of two 4-week electives for each Affiliate resident during the academic year. Please indicate on your request form if you want to be scheduled for one (1) or two (2) electives. You may sign up for two-week electives.
- Can I request an elective after the academic year begins?
- If you would like to submit an application after the deadline, please contact Courtney Annunziata via email prior to filling out all the paperwork to inquire about elective availability. Once availability is established, have your coordinator submit your documents via network ASAP. Late submission could result in cancellations of an elective.
- How do I find out which electives are available?
- After the initial rotation schedules are determined each June, contact Courtney Annunziata via email to inquire about availability.
- Where do I submit my application?
Applications must be submitted by your coordinator via network.
- Do I have to submit a VA application if I only want to apply for an elective at Y-NHH?
No. You need to submit both a YNHH and a VA application only if you are applying to an elective that participates at both sites.
Please refer to the appropriate elective description to determine if you need to complete a VA application.
- When will I receive my elective assignment(s)?
- Electives schedules will be emailed to Program Coordinators prior to July 1.
Prior to the Rotation
- Where is my elective and at what time do I arrive on the first day?
You MUST check in with the House Staff Office during your first day on the elective.
Please refer to the elective description and contact the coordinator; many ask that you contact them prior to the start date of the elective.
- Where is the House Staff Office?
The YNHH House Staff Office is located at TMP 209 – Tompkins Memorial Pavilion, Room 209.
You can find an interactive map here where you can search for Tompkins Memorial Pavilion.
The phone number is 203-688-2259, and the office hours are normally Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 4:15 p.m.
- How do I obtain a temporary ID?
You can obtain an ID Request Form at the House Staff Office (see above).
After you have verified that you are in the Hospital’s system, you will be directed to the YNHH ID Center in Room 11A for your temporary ID.
The ID Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m., and the phone number is 203-688-6094.
- Am I required to take Epic training for my elective?
Yes, you are required to take Epic training to participate in all electives offered at YNHH.
Courtney Hood works with your Program Coordinator to schedule this mandatory class. If any issues should arise regarding epic ID please email Courtney Hood Annunziata to calling epic help.
- Is parking available while rotating at Yale?
Parking is not available.
Please inquire at the House Staff Office (above) for alternatives.
During the Rotation
- Who do I contact if I am sick or late for my elective?
Call the elective Coordinator immediately if you are going to be delayed or miss a day due to illness or emergency. The elective contact information is located on the schedule provided and on the description.
You are expected to be responsible and show up for your elective on the planned start date as indicated on your schedule and at the time requested by the elective contact.
- How do I cancel an elective?
- Please contact Courtney Annunziata and she will notify the respective section of your cancellation.