Adopted June 19, 2012
We, the residents and leadership of the Yale Traditional Internal Medicine Residency Program, unite to affirm, uphold, and assert our guiding principles as follows:
- To provide exemplary medical care, treating all patients who come before us with uncompromising dedication and skill.
- To set and pursue the highest goals for ourselves as we learn the science, craft, and art of Medicine.
- To passionately teach our junior colleagues and students as we have been taught by those who preceded us.
- To treat our colleagues and hospital staff with kindness, respect, generosity of spirit, and patience.
- To foster the excellence and well-being of our residency program by generously offering our time, talent, and energy on its behalf.
- To support and contribute to the research mission of our medical center, nation, and the world by pursuing new knowledge, whether at the bench or bedside.
- To promote the translation of the latest scientific knowledge to the bedside to improve our understanding of disease pathogenesis and ensure that all patients receive the most scientifically appropriate and up to date care.
- To promote responsible stewardship of medical resources by wisely selecting diagnostic tests and treatments, recognizing that our individual decisions impact not just our own patients, but patients everywhere.
- To promote social justice by advocating for equitable health care, without regard to race, gender, sexual orientation, social status, or ability to pay.
- To extend our talents outside the walls of our hospitals and clinics, to promote the health and well-being of communities, locally, nationally, and internationally.
- To serve as proud ambassadors for the mission of the Yale Traditional Internal Medicine Residency Program for the remainder of our professional lives.