Greetings to all,
- University of Alabama Gorgas Global Health Fellowship – rolling application (selection occurs October 15)
- University of Maryland Maeve Kennedy McKean Fellowship in Global Health – due October 14
- Fogarty Global Health Equity Scholars Fellowship – due November 20
- Yale Fourth Annual Global Environmental Justice Conference - October 13-14 @ Yale School of the Environment, Kroon Hall 195 Prospect Street New Haven, 06511. The Yale Center for Environmental Justice and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) are partnering this year to present the Fourth Annual Global Environmental Justice Conference at the Yale School of the Environment. This year’s conference will focus on the intersection of equitable climate action and sustainable development. Click here for more information and to register.
New and Notable
· Lancet ID Sept 2022 Infections caused by Clostridium perfringens and Paeniclostridium sordellii after unsafe abortion
· Lancet Global Health Sept 2022 The availability, cost, and affordability of essential medicines for asthma and COPD in low-income and middle-income countries: a systematic review
· NEJM Sept 2022 Transforming Management of Opioid Use Disorder with Universal Treatment
· NEJM Sept 2022 The War-Zone Mentality — Mental Health Effects of Gun Violence in U.S. Children and Adolescents
Upcoming Local Events: September/October
- Wednesday September 28th @ 12-1pm at 60 College Street: The Role of Public Health in Addressing Climate Change and Toxic Chemicals" by Anne Hulick, Connecticut Director, Clean Water Action.
- Wednesday September 28th @ 4-530pm: Steven Thrasher discusses his book “The Viral Underclass: The Human Toll When Inequality and Disease Collide”. Hope Memorial Building, H216, 316 Cedar Street.
- Wednesday September 28th 7-9pm: Global Health on Tap – a monthly gathering of Yale students, residents, fellows and faculty who are interested in improving the health of people everywhere. This is an informal networking opportunity at Gryphon’s Pub, 204 York Street. Please RSVP using this link: http://evite.me/DHZ15wHC8s
- Thursday September 29th @ 830-930am: Medical Grand Rounds: “From Baltimore Alleys to the Peruvian Amazon and Sri Lanka: Ameliorating the High Global Burden of Leptospirosis” by Dr. Joseph Vinetz, YSM. Fitkin Auditorium with zoom option: https://yale.zoom.us/j/94463525432
- Thursday September 29th 12-1pm: Global Health: Can we move from a colonial past to an equitable future? by Dr. Henna Shaikh, a Yale Pediatrics residency alum (2020) who is currently completing a global health fellowship at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. Zoom: https://yale.zoom.us/j/2036885555?pwd=bCtuU1E5QUdnSENYVHU4dmtpYXRzQT09(Password: 3333)
- Thursday, September 29 @ 5:30-7:00 pm (TAC Auditorium): New Haven Voices Session 2: Growing and Becoming (focus on health care, education, and the environment). Register here.
- Thursday, September 29th @ 6-8pm (In person: BCMM 206/208 or via Zoom: YSM Department of Psychiatry Global Mental Health Program presents, “An Evening with Dr. Robert Rohrbaugh.” RSVP due to limited space
- Thursday, October 6th @ 5-630pm: Mistrust and Misinformation in Medicine—Causes and Consequences. Hosted jointly by the Program for Biomedical Ethics and the Yale Pediatric Ethics Program. Register here. Dhruv Khullar, MD, MPP, Assistant Professor of Health Policy and Economics, Weill Cornell Medical College; Contributor, The New Yorker; Director of Policy Dissemination, Physicians Foundation Center for Physician Practice and Leadership
- Friday October 14th @ 12pm: Paul's Legacy and PIH's Path Forward Webinar Series: Centering the Rights of Women, Children, and Adolescents. Register here.
- Monday October 17th 430-530pm (Historical Medical Libarary, Sterling Hall of Medicine L wing): The Frederic L. Holmes Lecture: The Necropolitics of U.S. Pandemic Responses: Expendable Workers in 1918 and 2020
- The application platform is now open for the Department of Internal Medicine’s Cross-Distinction Resident Academic Fund! Through this fund, residents will have the opportunity to apply for awards of up to $500 per year. This money is intended to cover costs associated with presenting your Distinction Pathway-related work at a local, regional, national, or international conference, or other academic activities related to your participation in the Distinction Pathway. All Distinction Pathway residents are encouraged to apply, however, preference will be given to PGY-3s and PGY-4s, as well as (in the future) residents who have not previously received an award from this fund. For more details, please see the November 1st email from Brett Marks. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis - https://yalesurvey.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_7NEkKKQS5XWEWF0
- To view prior seminars from the Yale Macmillan Center Program on Refugees, Forced Displacement & Humanitarian Responses, please visit/subscribe to the PRFDHR YouTube channel
- Missed a great webinar? Take a look at the Physicians for Human Rights online archive of COVID-19-related webinars, and also check out the Partners in Health COVID-19 Webinar series archive
- Join the Good Society Forum: Launched in April 2020 by Emma Sky (Director, Yale World Fellows) and Nizam Uddin (Senior Head of Mosaic and Community Integration, The Prince’s Trust, and 2019 Yale World Fellow), the twice-weekly GSF Webinars digitally connect change-makers around the world, engage them on ideas about a specific challenge of the day, and inspire action to build the good society. To subscribe to the GSF mailing list, visit - https://mailchi.mp/5922abe55ef6/joingoodsocietyforum
- Yale Institute for Global Health website: https://medicine.yale.edu/yigh/ - subscribe to their newsletter and follow YIGH on Twitter and Facebook
- Global Health Journal List blog entry (https://guides.lib.wayne.edu/choosingajournal/globalhealth) - an interesting and fairly comprehensive list of global health journals! Good for folks who are interested in thinking about what to read or where you might like to publish.
- Sign up for the Global Mental Health Program mailing list: https://medicine.yale.edu/psychiatry/globalmentalhealth/
- Link to the Macmillan Center calendar - Please visit this site for a list of upcoming events:http://calendar.yale.edu/cal/macmillan
- Subscribe to the daily “Global Health NOW” newsletter: http://www.globalhealthnow.org/subscribe.html
Tracy and Sheela
Co-Directors, Yale Global Health & Equity Distinction Pathway
Submitted by Laura P. Crawford on October 27, 2022