Greetings to all,
Please see the attached flyer for information about the upcoming (virtual) Yale Global Health Scholars Program information session on Thursday, October 27th at 7pm. You can also visit the program website for more details: https://medicine.yale.edu/intmed/globalhealthscholars/ Applications are due on Friday, December 9th and require two letters of recommendation, so this is something to think about sooner rather than later!
- Fogarty Global Health Equity Scholars Fellowship – due November 20
- Puerto Rico Post-disaster Medical Relief: Our group of Puerto Rican Yale physicians who engaged in post-disaster medical relief 5 years ago is regrouping and turning angst into action. If you think you may be interested in joining a medical brigade (traveling for 2-4 days to the Caribbean) in the coming weeks, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and cc email@example.com
New and Notable
- Lancet Global Health November 2022 Decision making in global health: is everyone on board?
- Lancet Public Health October 2022 Cannabis use and public health: time for a comprehensive harm-to-others framework
- Lancet Public Health October 2022 Mental Health of Migrants with pre-migration exposure to armed conflict: a systematic review and meta analysis
- NEJM October 2022 Diversity in Clinical Trials — Next Steps
Upcoming Local Events: October/November
- Friday October 21 @ 5-6pm (Zoom): Global Health: The Journey of the World Health Organization, Hosted by the Beaumont Medical Club. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
- Monday October 24th @ 430-530pm (60 College Street, Winslow Auditorium, Room 109 or zoom (registerhere): Pakistan’s Response to COVID-19 by Dr. Faisal Sultan, Former Minister of Health of Pakistan.
- Thursday October 27th @ 1230-130pm: Environmental Health and Climate Change by Dr. Amruta Nori-Sarma, Boston University, who evaluates impact of interrelated extreme weather events in India and South Korea, and the US. Register for zoom link here.
- Thursday, October 27th @ 7pm (Zoom): Annual Yale Global Health Scholars Program Information Session. See the attached flyer for more details!
- Tuesday November 1 @ 12-1pm: “From Yale to Accidental Healthcare Entrepreneurs: Lessons Learned.” The Innovation Exchange is a virtual conversational series to foster a learning community of entrepreneurs in global and planetary health, with focus on the Global South. Zoom link TBA.
- Wednesday November 2nd @ 12-1pm (60 College Street): "Disparities in Access to Municipal Water Service in the US: Health Impacts & Solutions by Dr. Jacqueline MacDonald Gibson.
- Wednesday November 9th @ 4-530pm Sterling Hall of Medicine: 2022 Perspectives of Women in Science: Valentina Greco, PhD. Dr. Greco is the Carolyn Walch Slayman Professor of Genetics, Professor of Cell Biology and of Dermatology.
- Thursday, November 10th @ 1230-130pm: Gun Violence Prevention by Dr. Ali Rowhani-Rahbar, the Bartley Dobb Professor for the Study and Prevention of Violence at the University of Washington. Register for zoom link here.
- The application platform is now open for the Department of Internal Medicine’s Cross-Distinction Resident Academic Fund! Through this fund, residents will have the opportunity to apply for awards of up to $500 per year. This money is intended to cover costs associated with presenting your Distinction Pathway-related work at a local, regional, national, or international conference, or other academic activities related to your participation in the Distinction Pathway. All Distinction Pathway residents are encouraged to apply, however, preference will be given to PGY-3s and PGY-4s, as well as (in the future) residents who have not previously received an award from this fund. For more details, please see the November 1st email from Brett Marks. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis - https://yalesurvey.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_7NEkKKQS5XWEWF0
- To view prior seminars from the Yale Macmillan Center Program on Refugees, Forced Displacement & Humanitarian Responses, please visit/subscribe to the PRFDHR YouTube channel
- Missed a great webinar? Take a look at the Physicians for Human Rights online archive of COVID-19-related webinars, and also check out the Partners in Health COVID-19 Webinar series archive
- Join the Good Society Forum: Launched in April 2020 by Emma Sky (Director, Yale World Fellows) and Nizam Uddin (Senior Head of Mosaic and Community Integration, The Prince’s Trust, and 2019 Yale World Fellow), the twice-weekly GSF Webinars digitally connect change-makers around the world, engage them on ideas about a specific challenge of the day, and inspire action to build the good society. To subscribe to the GSF mailing list, visit - https://mailchi.mp/5922abe55ef6/joingoodsocietyforum
- Yale Institute for Global Health website: https://medicine.yale.edu/yigh/ - subscribe to their newsletter and follow YIGH on Twitter and Facebook
- Global Health Journal List blog entry (https://guides.lib.wayne.edu/choosingajournal/globalhealth) - an interesting and fairly comprehensive list of global health journals! Good for folks who are interested in thinking about what to read or where you might like to publish.
- Sign up for the Global Mental Health Program mailing list: https://medicine.yale.edu/psychiatry/globalmentalhealth/
- Link to the Macmillan Center calendar - Please visit this site for a list of upcoming events:http://calendar.yale.edu/cal/macmillan
- Subscribe to the daily “Global Health NOW” newsletter: http://www.globalhealthnow.org/subscribe.html
Tracy and Sheela
Co-Directors, Yale Global Health & Equity Distinction Pathway
Submitted by Laura P. Crawford on November 09, 2022