Greetings to all,
As a reminder: if you have colleagues who are interested in learning more about the GHEDP, please feel free to share the following links:
- Information about the Global Health & Equity Distinction Pathway: https://medicine.yale.edu/intmed/residency/pathways/equity/
- Recordings of all of the presentations: https://yale.box.com/s/tt4xx5me8dbbkky8nmkzlg3bahx5alnoto
- Applications for new Distinction members are due September 15th.
- Registration is now open for the Yale Conference for Alcohol Research and Education (Y-CARE) Saturday, September 10th 8am-3pm.
New and Notable
· Lancet Public Health August 2022: From Health in All Policies to Health for All Policies
· NEJM August 2022: Professional Civil Disobedience — Medical-Society Responsibilities after Dobbs
· JAMA August 2022: Participation of Lower and Upper Middle–Income Countries in Clinical Trials Led by High-Income Countries
· BMJ August 2022: Infection control at mass religious gatherings
Upcoming Local Events: August/September
· Wednesday August 31 @ 12pm: American Osteopathic Academy of Addiction Medicine presents: Managing Opioid Complexity in Individuals with Serious Illness
· Wednesday August 31 @ 2-3pm: Harm Reduction vs Harm Escalation: Clinical Perspectives
· Friday September 2nd 12-1pm: Yale Center on Climate Change and Health presents "The climate and health benefits from intensive building energy efficiency improvements"
· Tuesday September 6th @ 5-630pm: Bioethical Aspects of Abortion and Abortion Law Discussion Panel
· Thursday September 9th @ 830-930am: Medical Grand Rounds: “A Conversation with the Surgeon General of the United States” Vivek Murthy MD
· Tuesday September 13th @12pm: Paul's Legacy and PIH's Path Forward Webinar Series: Training the Next Generation of Global Health Leaders. Register here.
· Thursday September 22nd @ 12pm: The inaugural Dr. Inginia Genao Lecture in DEI will be given by Dr. Nancy Krieger, a renowned social epidemiologist and social justice advocate from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.
· Thursday September 29th TBD: Steven Thrasher discusses his book “The Viral Underclass: The Human Toll When Inequality and Disease Collide”
· Friday October 14th @ 12pm: Paul's Legacy and PIH's Path Forward Webinar Series: Centering the Rights of Women, Children, and Adolescents. Register here.
- The application platform is now open for the Department of Internal Medicine’s Cross-Distinction Resident Academic Fund! Through this fund, residents will have the opportunity to apply for awards of up to $500 per year. This money is intended to cover costs associated with presenting your Distinction Pathway-related work at a local, regional, national, or international conference, or other academic activities related to your participation in the Distinction Pathway. All Distinction Pathway residents are encouraged to apply, however, preference will be given to PGY-3s and PGY-4s, as well as (in the future) residents who have not previously received an award from this fund. For more details, please see the November 1st email from Brett Marks. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis - https://yalesurvey.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_7NEkKKQS5XWEWF0
- To view prior seminars from the Yale Macmillan Center Program on Refugees, Forced Displacement & Humanitarian Responses, please visit/subscribe to the PRFDHR YouTube channel
- Missed a great webinar? Take a look at the Physicians for Human Rights online archive of COVID-19-related webinars, and also check out the Partners in Health COVID-19 Webinar series archive
- Join the Good Society Forum: Launched in April 2020 by Emma Sky (Director, Yale World Fellows) and Nizam Uddin (Senior Head of Mosaic and Community Integration, The Prince’s Trust, and 2019 Yale World Fellow), the twice-weekly GSF Webinars digitally connect change-makers around the world, engage them on ideas about a specific challenge of the day, and inspire action to build the good society. To subscribe to the GSF mailing list, visit - https://mailchi.mp/5922abe55ef6/joingoodsocietyforum
- Yale Institute for Global Health website: https://medicine.yale.edu/yigh/ - subscribe to their newsletter and follow YIGH on Twitter and Facebook
- Global Health Journal List blog entry (https://guides.lib.wayne.edu/choosingajournal/globalhealth) - an interesting and fairly comprehensive list of global health journals! Good for folks who are interested in thinking about what to read or where you might like to publish.
- Sign up for the Global Mental Health Program mailing list: https://medicine.yale.edu/psychiatry/globalmentalhealth/
- Link to the Macmillan Center calendar - Please visit this site for a list of upcoming events:http://calendar.yale.edu/cal/macmillan
- Subscribe to the daily “Global Health NOW” newsletter: http://www.globalhealthnow.org/subscribe.html
Tracy and Sheela
Co-Directors, Yale Global Health & Equity Distinction Pathway