Greetings to all,
Thanks so much to those who attended last week’s Distinction Night event. If you have colleagues who are interested in learning more about the GHEDP, please feel free to share the following links:
- Information about the Global Health & Equity Distinction Pathway:https://medicine.yale.edu/intmed/residency/pathways/equity/
- Recordings of all of the presentations: https://yale.box.com/s/tt4xx5me8dbbkky8nmkzlg3bahx5alnoto
- Applications for new Distinction members are due September 15th.
- Registration is now open for the Yale Conference for Alcohol Research and Education (Y-CARE) Saturday, September 10th 8am-3pm.
New and Notable
· Lancet Global Health August 2022: Point-of-care HPV DNA testing of self-collected specimens and same-day thermal ablation for the early detection and treatment of cervical pre-cancer in women in Papua New Guinea: a prospective, single-arm intervention trial (HPV-STAT)
· Lancet August 2022: Depression in young people
· NEJM August 2022: Professionals as Targets in the Culture Wars
· NEJM August 2022: The Physician–Patient Relationship
Upcoming Local Events: August/September
- Friday August 26th @ 12-1pm: Health Disparities M&M - Darin Latimore, MD, Deputiy Dean and Chief Diversity Officer & Reshma Narula, MD, Director for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Wednesday August 31 @ 12pm: American Osteopathic Academy of Addiction Medicine presents: Managing Opioid Complexity in Individuals with Serious Illness
- Tuesday September 13th @12pm: Paul's Legacy and PIH's Path Forward Webinar Series: Training the Next Generation of Global Health Leaders. Register here.
- Friday October 14th @ 12pm: Paul's Legacy and PIH's Path Forward Webinar Series: Centering the Rights of Women, Children, and Adolescents. Register here.
- Thursday September 22nd @ 12pm: The inaugural Dr. Inginia Genao Lecture in DEI will be given by Dr. Nancy Krieger, a renowned social epidemiologist and social justice advocate from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.
- Thursday September 29th TBD: Steven Thrasher discusses his book “The Viral Underclass: The Human Toll When Inequality and Disease Collide”
- The application platform is now open for the Department of Internal Medicine’s Cross-Distinction Resident Academic Fund! Through this fund, residents will have the opportunity to apply for awards of up to $500 per year. This money is intended to cover costs associated with presenting your Distinction Pathway-related work at a local, regional, national, or international conference, or other academic activities related to your participation in the Distinction Pathway. All Distinction Pathway residents are encouraged to apply, however, preference will be given to PGY-3s and PGY-4s, as well as (in the future) residents who have not previously received an award from this fund. For more details, please see the November 1st email from Brett Marks. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis - https://yalesurvey.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_7NEkKKQS5XWEWF0
- To view prior seminars from the Yale Macmillan Center Program on Refugees, Forced Displacement & Humanitarian Responses, please visit/subscribe to the PRFDHR YouTube channel
- Missed a great webinar? Take a look at the Physicians for Human Rights online archive of COVID-19-related webinars, and also check out the Partners in Health COVID-19 Webinar series archive
- Join the Good Society Forum: Launched in April 2020 by Emma Sky (Director, Yale World Fellows) and Nizam Uddin (Senior Head of Mosaic and Community Integration, The Prince’s Trust, and 2019 Yale World Fellow), the twice-weekly GSF Webinars digitally connect change-makers around the world, engage them on ideas about a specific challenge of the day, and inspire action to build the good society. To subscribe to the GSF mailing list, visit - https://mailchi.mp/5922abe55ef6/joingoodsocietyforum
- Yale Institute for Global Health website: https://medicine.yale.edu/yigh/ - subscribe to their newsletter and follow YIGH on Twitter and Facebook
- Global Health Journal List blog entry (https://guides.lib.wayne.edu/choosingajournal/globalhealth) - an interesting and fairly comprehensive list of global health journals! Good for folks who are interested in thinking about what to read or where you might like to publish.
- Sign up for the Global Mental Health Program mailing list: https://medicine.yale.edu/psychiatry/globalmentalhealth/
- Link to the Macmillan Center calendar - Please visit this site for a list of upcoming events:http://calendar.yale.edu/cal/macmillan
- Subscribe to the daily “Global Health NOW” newsletter: http://www.globalhealthnow.org/subscribe.html
Tracy and Sheela
Co-Directors, Yale Global Health & Equity Distinction Pathway
Submitted by Laura P. Crawford on August 25, 2022