At the recent American Geriatrics Society’s (AGS) Annual Scientific Meeting, Yale School of Medicine’s Departments of Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine, and Surgery, along with Yale School of Nursing and Yale New Haven Health’s Northeast Medical Group, had an impressive showing, hosting 30 poster presentations, talks, and breakout sessions.
The event, the first in-person AGS Scientific Meeting since the COVID-19 pandemic, drew health professionals from across the United States to showcase various aspects of clinical care, research, and new models of care delivery.
Terri Fried, MD, Humana Foundation Professor of Medicine (Geriatrics) and section chief, Geriatrics, was thrilled with the Yale contingent. “This event shows how geriatrics, while a small section, has established collaborations across the medical school to promote aging research across specialties. The breadth and depth of representation at AGS illustrates the important clinical, educational, and research activities in which the section is involved. I am particularly proud of our geriatric fellows, who showcased their work in presentations and posters. Additionally, congratulations to our award-winning faculty,” said Fried.
The event culminated with the award ceremony, during which Jennifer Ouellet, MD, won the Outstanding Junior Clinician Educator of the Year, and Cameron Gettel, MD, MHS, earned the Health in Aging Foundation New Investigator Award. In addition, Gettel was selected to present an abstract as part of the Plenary Paper Session, which was selected as one of the top three abstracts.
The Yale participation over the three-day event is listed below.
Plenary Paper Session / Paper Session
- Cameron Gettel, MD, MHS: An Outcome Comparison Between Geriatric and Non-Geriatric Emergency Departments
- Lauren E. Ferrante, MD, MHS: Functional Trajectories Over the 6 Months After a COVID Hospitalization Among Older Adults
- Fuad Abujarad, MD: Self-Administrated Digital Elder Abuse Intervention for Older Adults in the Primary Care Setting
- Robert D. Becher, MD, MS, FACS: Distressing Symptoms After Major Surgery Among Community-Living Older Persons.
- Colin Brien, BSc (Hon), MBBS: Polypharmacy and Multimorbidity Obscuring a Diagnosis of Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy
- Urvika Choksey, MD: 'Tongue on Fire': The Curious Case of Burning Mouth Syndrome
- Santiago Clocchiatti-Tuozzo, MD: Suboptimal Sleep Duration Is Associated with Poor Brain Health in Older Adults without Stroke or Dementia
- Rupak Datta, MD, PhD, MPH: Diagnostic Uncertainty and Antibiotic Decision-Making in Home Care: A Qualitative Study
- Ophelia Empleo-Frazier, MSN / Ami Marshall, MSN, APRN: An Age-Friendly Course Adopting the 4M Geriatric Model in a Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Program
- Alexandra Hajduk, PhD, MPH: Cognitive Trajectories after COVID-19 Hospitalization in Older Adults: the VALIANT Study
- Snigdha Jain, MD, MHS: Distressing Symptoms and Disability after Critical Illness among Older Adults
- Stephen Lee (mentor: Lauren E. Ferrante, MD, MHS): Associations of Social Support with Overall Symptom Burden and Mental Health Symptoms After a COVID-19 Hospitalization Among Older Adults
- Judy Li: Association of COVID-19 Symptoms with Cognitive Impairment Six Months After Hospitalization Among Older Adults in the VALIANT Study
- Jennifer Ouellet, MD, and Angela Catic, MD: Patient Priorities Care Train-the-Trainer Tele Education: Preparing Geriatric Educators to Teach Priorities Aligned Decision Making.
- Deborah Oyeyemi, MD: From Twenty-Eight to Eight: One Patient’s Experience at a Federally Qualified Health Center’s Deprescribing Clinic
- Yulu Pan, MPH / Brienne Miner, MD, MHS: Post-COVID Symptom Trajectories and Predictors of Symptom Burden in Older Persons
- Ravneet Randhawa, MD: A decline in Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MoCA) Leads to the Diagnosis of Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) Induced Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia (AIHA)
- Leah Schecter, MD / Anishaa Sivakumar: More Than an Ulcer? Felty Syndrome Manifesting as Failure to Thrive
- Jessica Zuo, MD: An Online Geriatric Teaching Resource for Internal Medicine Attendings
- Jessica Zuo, MD: Implementation of a Geriatric Assessment SmartPhrase: A Multi-Institution Pilot Study
Discussions / Presentations / Breakout Sessions
- Ensuring Equity in Your Research: Breaking Down the Whys and Hows for Early Career Investigators
- Moderator: Snigdha Jain, MD, MHS
- Understanding Diversity in Research in Emergency Medicine Symposium
- Moderator: Ula Hwang, MD, MPH
- AGS/AFAR Clin-Star Mentoring and Grantsmanship Workshop
- Co-Leader, Rising Stars Planning Committee: Lauren E. Ferrante, MD, MHS
Special Interest Groups / Section Meetings
- Junior Faculty Research Career Development Special Interest Group Business Meeting
- Co-Chairs: Greg Ouellet, MD & Melissa Wong, MD
- Patient Priorities Care Special Interest Group
- Lauren E. Ferrante, MD, MHS, and Una Makris, MD, MSc: Medical Specialties Section Meeting, "Building Research Networks in Your Specialty”
Clinical Skills & Education Workshops
- Mithil V. Choksey, MD: Vertigo 2
- Ann Datunashvili, MD; Paul P. Chiang, MD: Navigating the Home-Based Care Continuum in Clinical Practice “Assisted Living Facility Care”
- Mary E. Tinetti, MD; Jennifer A. Ouellet, MD; Marcia Mecca, MD: Identifying and Acting on What Matters to Patients: Skill Building Workshop to Implement Patient Priorities Care
- Jessica Zuo, MD; Eva Szymanski, MD: Implementation of a Geriatric Assessment SmartPhrase: A Multi-Institution Pilot Study