Research & Publications
When you or a loved one fall acutely ill and need the resources of a major academic hospital to come together to help, Dr. Adam Ackerman is there to step in. Dr. Ackerman specializes in the management of complex medical conditions warranting admission to the hospital. “I enjoy the challenge of diagnosing and treating severe illness while forming personal healing connections with patients and their families,” he says.
Ackerman joined Yale New Haven Hospital’s Hospital Medicine team in 2015 after serving as an active-duty physician in the United States Air Force. In 2009, he received his MD from Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston, Massachusetts, where he was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society. Dr. Ackerman furthered his training with an Internal Medicine residency at the U.S. Air Force’s Keesler Medical Center in Biloxi, Mississippi.
An associate director of the Hospital Medicine team, Ackerman cares for patients at both the York Street and Saint Raphael campuses of Yale New Haven Hospital. He continues to lead quality improvement efforts in the areas of reducing repeat hospital admissions, improving length of stay, and ensuring safe patient flow through the system. He also remains active in research and in teaching Internal Medicine residents and students as an Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine in the Yale School of Medicine. He also serves as Physician Lead and Co-Director of the Yale New Haven Health Opioid Stewardship Program. Dr. Ackerman’s team employs advanced medical knowledge, experience, and technology to maximize accurate diagnosis and rapid treatment. “Our hospitalists provide world-class care to our acutely ill patients, and when a particular problem requires evaluation by a subspecialist, the depth and breadth of expertise available to us at Yale is truly amazing,” he explains.
Dr. Ackerman is a member of the American College of Physicians and the Society of Hospital Medicine.
Education & Training
- ResidencyKeesler Medical Center, 81st Medical Group, United States Air Force (2012)
- InternshipKeesler Medical Center, 81st Medical Group, United States Air Force (2010)
- MDTufts University School of Medicine (2009)
- MMBoston University College of Fine Arts, Conducting Performance (2003)
- ABThe Florida State University, Music (2001)
- Combatting the opioid epidemic from within inpatient settingsSan Diego, CA, United States 2019Annual Meeting, American Organization of Nurse Executives
- Rational Opioid Prescribing: Improving the Inpatient Standard of CareOrlando, FL, United States 2018National Forum, Institute for Healthcare Improvement
- Pilot of an intervention to reduce utilization of intravenous opioid narcotics in hospitalized medical patientsWashington, DC, United States 2017Annual Meeting, Society of General Internal Medicine
- “Acute arterial hypertension: a review”Anchorage, AK, United States 2014673d Medical Group Hospital Medicine Conference
- Advanced topics in systolic heart failureBiloxi, MS, United States 2012Grand Rounds
- Chronic total occlusion of the proximal right coronary artery successfully treated via a retrograde percutaneous approachNew Orleans, LA, United States 2012Annual Meeting, American College of Physicians
- Eptifibatide-induced thrombocytopenia complicated by coronary stent thrombosisBethesda, MD, United States 2010Annual Meeting, Army-Air Force Chapter, American College of Physicians
- Premature ventricular complex-induced dilated cardiomyopathy in an otherwise healthy 19-year-old active duty sailorToronto, ON, Canada 2010Annual Meeting, American College of Physicians
Honors & Recognition
|Meritorious Service Medal||United States Air Force||2015|
|Senior Resident Teacher of the Year||Keesler Medical Center, 81st Medical Group, United States Air Force||2011|
|Intern of the Year||Keesler Medical Center, 81st Medical Group, United States Air Force||2010|
|Alpha Omega Alpha||Tufts University School of Medicine||2009|
|Sepsis Mortality Performance Improvement Team, Yale New Haven Health||Member||2021 - Present|
|COPD Readmissions Performance Improvement Team, Yale New Haven Hospital||Lead||2020 - Present|
|System Quality Committee, Yale New Haven Health||Member||2019 - Present|
|Hospital Medicine Quality Improvement Committee, Yale New Haven Hospital||Chair||2019 - Present|
|Opioid Stewardship Committee, Yale New Haven Health||Committee Member||2018 - Present|
|Mortality Review Committee, Yale New Haven Hospital||Committee Member||2018 - Present|
|Medicine Operations Committee, Yale New Haven Hospital||Committee Member||2016 - 2018|