Dr. Baker's research includes case studies in home care to community-based randomized controlled clinical trials and dissemination efforts regarding the prevention of falls, delirium and functional decline. Research and demonstration projects have been funded by from groups ranging from the Mountain States Regional Medical Program to the National Institutes on Aging as well as private foundations. She participated in developing the first family nurse practitioner program at Montana State University, designed to reach clinical practices in under-served areas of the Mountain States. Most recently she led efforts to see Connecticut pass fall prevention legislation. Dr. Baker currently serves as the Executive Director of the Connecticut Collaboration for Fall Prevention, based in Yale School of Medicine.
- Hyperalimentation at Home. American Journal of Nursing. 74(10), 1826-1829.
- Ten years of TPN at home. American Journal of Nursing 84(10), 1248-1249
- A controlled trial of a multifactorial intervention to reduce risk of falls among community elderly persons New England Journal of Medicine 331(13), 821-827
- The influence of urinary incontinence on publicly financed home care services to low-income elderly people The Gerontologist 35(3), 360-369
- The design and implementation of a restorative care model for home care Gerontologist 41, 257-263
- Evaluation of restorative care vs usual care for older adults receiving an acute episode of home care Journal of the American Medical Association 287: 2098-2105.
- A program to prevent functional decline in physically frail elderly persons who live at home. New England Journal of Medicine 347:1068-74.
- A prehabilitation program for physically frail community-living older persons Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 84:394-404.
- Dissemination of an Evidence-based Multi-component Fall Risk Assessment and Management Strategy throughout a Geographic Area J Am Geriatr Soc 53, 675-680
- Dissemination of the Hospital Elder Life Program: Implementation, Adaptation and Successes .J Am Geriatr Soc. 54:1492-1499
- Effect of Dissemination of Evidence in Reducing Injuries from Falls New England Journal of Medicine 359: 252-61.
- Integration of fall prevention into state policy in Connecticut Gerontologist 53 (3): 508-515
- Association between treatment region and hospitalization for fall-related traumatic brain injury in the Connecticut Collaboration for Fall Prevention J Am Geriatric Soc. 61:1763–1767
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Reuben DB, Gazarian P, Alexander N, Araujo K, Baker D, Bean JF, Boult C, Charpentier P, Duncan P, Latham N, Leipzig RM, Quintiliani LM, Storer T, McMahon S: The Strategies to Reduce Injuries and Develop Confidence in Elders Intervention: Falls Risk Factor Assessment and Management, Patient Engagement, and Nurse Co-management. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017 Dec; 2017 Oct 17. PMID: 29044479
- Bhasin S, Gill TM, Reuben DB, Latham NK, Gurwitz JH, Dykes P, McMahon S, Storer TW, Duncan PW, Ganz DA, Basaria S, Miller ME, Travison TG, Greene EJ, Dziura J, Esserman D, Allore H, Carnie MB, Fagan M, Hanson C, Baker D, Greenspan SL, Alexander N, Ko F, Siu AL, Volpi E, Wu AW, Rich J, Waring SC, Wallace R, Casteel C, Magaziner J, Charpentier P, Lu C, Araujo K, Rajeevan H, Margolis S, Eder R, McGloin JM, Skokos E, Wiggins J, Garber L, Clauser SB, Correa-De-Araujo R, Peduzzi P: Strategies to Reduce Injuries and Develop Confidence in Elders (STRIDE): A Cluster-Randomized Pragmatic Trial of a Multifactorial Fall Injury Prevention Strategy: Design and Methods. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2017 Oct 14; 2017 Oct 14. PMID: 29045582
- Baker DI, Leo-Summers L, Murphy TE, Katz B, Capobianco BA: Intervention to Prevent Falls: Community-Based Clinics. J Appl Gerontol. 2017 Jul 1; 2017 Jul 1. PMID: 28737101
- Juthani-Mehta M, Van Ness PH, McGloin J, Argraves S, Chen S, Charpentier P, Miller L, Williams K, Wall D, Baker D, Tinetti M, Peduzzi P, Quagliarello VJ: A cluster-randomized controlled trial of a multicomponent intervention protocol for pneumonia prevention among nursing home elders. Clin Infect Dis. 2015 Mar 15; 2014 Dec 16. PMID: 25520333
- Murphy TE, Baker DI, Leo-Summers LS, Tinetti ME: Trends in Fall-Related Traumatic Brain Injury among Older Persons in Connecticut from 2000-2007. J Gerontol Geriatr Res. 2014. PMID: 25558438
- Murphy TE, Baker DI, Leo-Summers LS, Allore HG, Tinetti ME: Association between treatment or usual care region and hospitalization for fall-related traumatic brain injury in the Connecticut Collaboration for Fall Prevention. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013 Oct; 2013 Sep 19. PMID: 24083593
- Murphy TE, Baker DI, Leo-Summers LS, Bianco L, Gottschalk M, Acampora D, King MB: Integration of fall prevention into state policy in Connecticut. Gerontologist. 2013 Jun; 2012 Oct 4. PMID: 23042690
- Cone DC, Ahern J, Lee CH, Baker D, Murphy T, Bogucki S: A descriptive study of the "lift-assist" call. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2013 Jan-Mar; 2012 Sep 12. PMID: 22971148
- Tinetti ME, Charpentier P, Gottschalk M, Baker DI: Effect of a restorative model of posthospital home care on hospital readmissions. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012 Aug; 2012 Aug 2. PMID: 22860756
- Ahluwalia SC, Gill TM, Baker DI, Fried TR: Perspectives of older persons on bathing and bathing disability: a qualitative study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010 Mar; 2010 Feb 11. PMID: 20158554
- Tinetti ME, Baker DI, King M, Gottschalk M, Murphy TE, Acampora D, Carlin BP, Leo-Summers L, Allore HG: Effect of dissemination of evidence in reducing injuries from falls. N Engl J Med. 2008 Jul 17. PMID: 18635430
- Baker DI, Gottschalk M, Bianco LM: Step by step: integrating evidence-based fall-risk management into senior centers. Gerontologist. 2007 Aug. PMID: 17766675
- Inouye SK, Baker DI, Fugal P, Bradley EH, HELP Dissemination Project.: Dissemination of the hospital elder life program: implementation, adaptation, and successes. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006 Oct. PMID: 17038065
- Bradley EH, Webster TR, Schlesinger M, Baker D, Inouye SK: Patterns of diffusion of evidence-based clinical programmes: a case study of the Hospital Elder Life Program. Qual Saf Health Care. 2006 Oct. PMID: 17074869
- Bradley EH, Webster TR, Schlesinger M, Baker D, Inouye SK: The roles of senior management in improving hospital experiences for frail older adults. J Healthc Manag. 2006 Sep-Oct. PMID: 17039691
- Baker D: The science of improving function: implications for home healthcare. J Healthc Qual. 2006 Jan-Feb. PMID: 16681297
- Bradley EH, Webster TR, Baker D, Schlesinger M, Inouye SK: After adoption: sustaining the innovation. A case study of disseminating the hospital elder life program. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005 Sep. PMID: 16137272
- Baker DI, King MB, Fortinsky RH, Graff LG 4th, Gottschalk M, Acampora D, Preston J, Brown CJ, Tinetti ME: Dissemination of an evidence-based multicomponent fall risk-assessment and -management strategy throughout a geographic area. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005 Apr. PMID: 15817016
- Bradley EH, Schlesinger M, Webster TR, Baker D, Inouye SK: Translating research into clinical practice: making change happen. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004 Nov. PMID: 15507065
- Gill TM, Baker DI, Gottschalk M, Peduzzi PN, Allore H, Van Ness PH: A prehabilitation program for the prevention of functional decline: effect on higher-level physical function. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2004 Jul. PMID: 15241748
- Bradley EH, Webster TR, Baker D, Schlesinger M, Inouye SK, Barth MC, Lapane KL, Lipson D, Stone R, Koren MJ: Translating research into practice: speeding the adoption of innovative health care programs. Issue Brief (Commonw Fund). 2004 Jul. PMID: 15270051
- Gill TM, Baker DI, Gottschalk M, Gahbauer EA, Charpentier PA, de Regt PT, Wallace SJ: A prehabilitation program for physically frail community-living older persons. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2003 Mar. PMID: 12638108
- Gill TM, Baker DI, Gottschalk M, Peduzzi PN, Allore H, Byers A: A program to prevent functional decline in physically frail, elderly persons who live at home. N Engl J Med. 2002 Oct 3. PMID: 12362007