Digestive System Diseases; Education, Medical; Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage; Patient Simulation; Quality Improvement
The majority of my time is spent in clinical activities, teaching and running the fellowship program. Thus, my research interests are focused mainly on quality improvement projects with the fellows in the section and clinical projects with residents interested in applying for GI fellowship. Past projects have included examining patient preferences for colon cancer screening modality in collaboration with Liana Fraenkel MD, Department of Medicine, Rheumatology, examining the location of angioectasias within the small bowel using capsule endoscopy, and looking at outcomes for different modes of endoscopic treatment of angioectasias in patients with significant GI bleeding. Past quality improvement projects have included identifying a mechanism to effectively notify patients of their lab and imaging results within 2 weeks at our VA GI clinic and testing a mechanism to calculate fellow adenoma detection rates. Currently we are planning a project to improve inpatient colonoscopy preps which should allow us to provide higher quality care in a more timely fashion. Additionally, I am collaborating with a Yale Internal Medicine Resident Pichamol Jirapinyo and Christopher Thompson MD, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard, on a project looking at the use of a part-task endoscopy simulator in endoscopy training. The simulator was developed by Drs Jirapinyo and Thompson and we are participating in a randomized control trial of its use in first year fellows.
Speciailzed Terms: Obscure GI bleeding; Endoscopy simulation in training; Quality improvement in fellowship training
Extensive Research Description
1) Localization of angioectasias within the small bowel using capsule endoscopy.
2) Outcomes of treating small bowel angioectasias with double balloon enteroscopy, push enteroscopy vs long-acting octreotide.
3) Use of a part-task endoscopic simulator in training of Gastroenterology Fellows
What is most important to patients when deciding about colorectal screening.
Imaeda, A., Bender, D., Fraenkel, L (2010) What is most important to patients when deciding about colorectal screening. J Gen Int Med 25:688-693.
Cell Death and Fibrogenesis.
Mehal W, Imaeda A. (2010) Cell Death and Fibrogenesis. Semin Liver Dis 30(3):226- 31.
Acetaminophen induced hepatoxicity is dependent on TLR9 and the NALP3 inflammasome.
Imaeda, A., Watanabe, A., Mahmood, S., Sohail, M., Sutterwala, F., Flavell, R., Mehal, W. (2008) Acetaminophen induced hepatoxicity is dependent on TLR9 and the NALP3 inflammasome. J. Clin Invest. 119:305-314
A pilot project examining the predicted preferences of patients and physicians in the primary prophylaxis of variceal hemorrhage.
Longacre, A., Imaeda, A., Garcia-Tsao, G., Fraenkel, L. (2008) A pilot project examining the predicted preferences of patients and physicians in the primary prophylaxis of variceal hemorrhage. Hepatology 47:169-176
- Rodes, J., Benhamou, J-P., Blei, A., Reichen, J., Rizzetto, M. ed Textbook of Hepatology. Blackwell Publishing (2007). “Chap 2.7.3 Antibody Production and Transport in the Liver.” Imaeda, A, Mehal, W. pp325-332.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Jirapinyo P, Abidi WM, Aihara H, Zaki T, Tsay C, Imaeda AB, Thompson CC: Preclinical endoscopic training using a part-task simulator: learning curve assessment and determination of threshold score for advancement to clinical endoscopy. Surg Endosc. 2017 Oct; 2017 Feb 22. PMID: 28229238
- Jangouk P, Chang JJ, Imaeda AB: Unsuspected Colonic Hemorrhage Found on Screening Colonoscopy. Gastroenterology. 2017 May; 2017 Apr 4. PMID: 28384453
- Plotkin E, Imaeda A: Small Intestinal Angioectasias Are Not Randomly Distributed in the Small Bowel and Most May Be Reached by Push Enteroscopy. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2016 Aug. PMID: 26485105
- Clark BT, Protiva P, Nagar A, Imaeda A, Ciarleglio MM, Deng Y, Laine L: Quantification of Adequate Bowel Preparation for Screening or Surveillance Colonoscopy in Men. Gastroenterology. 2016 Feb; 2015 Oct 9. PMID: 26439436
- Jirapinyo P, Imaeda AB, Thompson CC: Endoscopic training in gastroenterology fellowship: adherence to core curriculum guidelines. Surg Endosc. 2015 Dec; 2015 Mar 24. PMID: 25801105
- Imaeda A: Confocal laser endomicroscopy for the detection of atrophic gastritis: a new application for confocal endomicroscopy? J Clin Gastroenterol. 2015 May-Jun. PMID: 25811115
- Mehal W, Imaeda A: Cell death and fibrogenesis. Semin Liver Dis. 2010 Aug; 2010 Jul 21. PMID: 20665375
- Imaeda A, Bender D, Fraenkel L: What is most important to patients when deciding about colorectal screening? J Gen Intern Med. 2010 Jul; 2010 Mar 23. PMID: 20309740
- Imaeda AB, Watanabe A, Sohail MA, Mahmood S, Mohamadnejad M, Sutterwala FS, Flavell RA, Mehal WZ: Acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxicity in mice is dependent on Tlr9 and the Nalp3 inflammasome. J Clin Invest. 2009 Feb; 2009 Jan 26. PMID: 19164858
- Longacre AV, Imaeda A, Garcia-Tsao G, Fraenkel L: A pilot project examining the predicted preferences of patients and physicians in the primary prophylaxis of variceal hemorrhage. Hepatology. 2008 Jan. PMID: 17935182