Progression of chronic kidney disease (CKD) in children leads to end stage renal disease (ESRD), which is associated with mortality rates 30-150 times higher than the general pediatric population. The traditional biomarkers, serum creatinine and proteinuria, are used to predict progression of CKD in clinical trials even though both correlate poorly with the progression of CKD and the response to interventions.
We aim to identify the optimal combination of novel biomarkers which best predict progression of CKD in children. We plan to measure urine and blood biomarkers of kidney injury, inflammation, repair, and fibrosis from the samples of the children enrolled in the CKD in Children (CKiD) cohort and Assessment, Serial Evaluation, and Subsequent Sequelae in AKI (ASSESS-AKI) cohort studies. Using biomarkers that represent the multifactoral pathophysiology of CKD progression, we will be able to quantify the spectrum of kidney injury.
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Prasad Devarajan, MD
Cincinnati Children's Hospital
Michael Zappitelli, MD, M.Sc.
The Hospital for Sick Children (Toronto, ON)
- Greenberg JH, Devarajan P, Thiessen-Philbrook HR, Krawczeski C, Parikh CR, Zappitelli M, TRIBE-AKI Consortium.: Kidney injury biomarkers 5 years after AKI due to pediatric cardiac surgery. Pediatr Nephrol. 2018 Jun; 2018 Mar 6. PMID: 29511889
- Greenberg JH, Zappitelli M, Jia Y, Thiessen-Philbrook HR, de Fontnouvelle CA, Wilson FP, Coca S, Devarajan P, Parikh CR: Biomarkers of AKI Progression after Pediatric Cardiac Surgery. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2018 May; 2018 Feb 22. PMID: 29472416
- Wilson FP, Greenberg JH: Acute Kidney Injury in Real Time: Prediction, Alerts, and Clinical Decision Support. Nephron. 2018; 2018 Aug 2. PMID: 30071528
- de Fontnouvelle CA, Greenberg JH, Thiessen-Philbrook HR, Zappitelli M, Roth J, Kerr KF, Devarajan P, Shlipak M, Coca S, Parikh CR, TRIBE-AKI Consortium.: Interleukin-8 and Tumor Necrosis Factor Predict Acute Kidney Injury After Pediatric Cardiac Surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017 Dec; 2017 Aug 16. PMID: 28821332
- Greenberg JH, Parikh CR: Biomarkers for Diagnosis and Prognosis of AKI in Children: One Size Does Not Fit All. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017 Sep 7; 2017 Jun 30. PMID: 28667085
- Greenberg JH, Zappitelli M, Devarajan P, Thiessen-Philbrook HR, Krawczeski C, Li S, Garg AX, Coca S, Parikh CR, TRIBE-AKI Consortium.: Kidney Outcomes 5 Years After Pediatric Cardiac Surgery: The TRIBE-AKI Study. JAMA Pediatr. 2016 Nov 1. PMID: 27618162
- Greenberg JH, Whitlock R, Zhang WR, Thiessen-Philbrook HR, Zappitelli M, Devarajan P, Eikelboom J, Kavsak PA, Devereaux PJ, Shortt C, Garg AX, Parikh CR, TRIBE-AKI Consortium.: Interleukin-6 and interleukin-10 as acute kidney injury biomarkers in pediatric cardiac surgery. Pediatr Nephrol. 2015 Sep; 2015 Apr 15. PMID: 25877915
- Zappitelli M, Greenberg JH, Coca SG, Krawczeski CD, Li S, Thiessen-Philbrook HR, Bennett MR, Devarajan P, Parikh CR, Translational Research Investigating Biomarker Endpoints in Acute Kidney Injury (TRIBE-AKI) Consortium.: Association of definition of acute kidney injury by cystatin C rise with biomarkers and clinical outcomes in children undergoing cardiac surgery. JAMA Pediatr. 2015 Jun. PMID: 25844892
- Greenberg JH, Coca S, Parikh CR: Long-term risk of chronic kidney disease and mortality in children after acute kidney injury: a systematic review. BMC Nephrol. 2014 Nov 21; 2014 Nov 21. PMID: 25416588