Humans, Vectors and Infectious Disease Symposium
Honoring Erol Fikrig, MD on his 60th Birthday
Friday, April 24, 2020
Yale School of Medicine
The Anlyan Center Auditorium
300 Cedar Street
8:00 – 9:00 a.m. Check In and Continental Breakfast
9:00 – 9:10 a.m.
Vincent Quagliarello, MD, professor and clinical chief, Section of Infectious Diseases; vice chair, Education & Academic Affairs, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale School of Medicine (YSM)
Session 1 Moderator: Jason Carlyon, PhD, professor, Virginia Commonwealth University
9:10 – 9:55 a.m.
“Infectious disease practice in the microbiome era: acknowledging that “if you break it you own it”
Eric Pamer, MD, professor and director, the Duchossois Family Institute, University of Chicago
10:00 – 10:15 a.m.
“Functional diversity of macrophage responses to pathogens and symbionts”
Juan Anguita, PhD, professor, CIC bioGUNE, Spain
10:40 – 10:55 a.m.
“Immune responses defining susceptibility to vector-borne infections”
Ruth Montgomery, PhD, professor, YSM
Session 2 Moderator: Joao Pedra, PhD, associate professor, University of Maryland
11:00 – 11:15 a.m.
“Pushing the envelope to understand immunity to flavivirus infections and vaccines”
Aravinda deSilva, PhD, professor, University of North Carolina
11:20 – 11:35 a.m.
“Novel live attenuated candidate vaccines for mosquito-borne flaviviruses”
Tina Wang, PhD, professor, University of Texas Medical Branch
11:40 – 11:55 a.m. Refreshment Break
11:55 a.m. – 12:10 p.m.
“Story of Arboviral Lifecycle: Acquisition Mechanisms from Hosts to Mosquitoes”
Gong Cheng, PhD, professor, Tsinghua University, China
12:15 – 12:30 p.m.
“Arbovirus Transmission Factors: Discovery and Translational Exploitation”
Tonya Colpitts, PhD, associate professor, Boston University
12:30 – 1:30 p.m. Lunch Break
Session 3 Moderator: Utpal Pal, PhD, professor, University of Maryland
1:35 - 2:20 p.m.
“30 years of trying to prevent Lyme disease”
Sam Telford, SD, professor, Tufts University
2:25 - 2:40 p.m.
“Tick-host-pathogen interactions on both sides of the Atlantic”
Joppe W. Hovius, MD, PhD, professor, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
2:45 – 3:00 p.m. Refreshment Break
3:05 – 3:20 p.m.
“The tick gut - a rite of passage”
Sukanya Narasimhan, PhD, associate professor, YSM
3:25 – 4:10 p.m.
“The Lipids of the Borrelia”
Jorge L. Benach, PhD, Toll Distinguished Professor, Stony Brook University
4:20 – 4:30 p.m.
Joseph Craft, MD, professor of Medicine and Immunobiology, YSM
For those attendees traveling to New Haven for the event, a block of rooms have been reserved at the New Haven Hotel. Call 800-644-6835 and use the group code "FIKRIG."
New Haven Hotel
229 George Street
New Haven, CT 06510
The room block is available until 3/23/2020. Reservations received after this date will be accepted at the group rate based upon hotel availability.
Yale University Online Resources
Yale School of Medicine
- Department of Internal Medicine
- Yale Medical Library
- Yale Directory
Yale Internal Medicine HIV Training Track
- Johns Hopkins Infectious Diseases
- Johns Hopkins HIV / AIDS
Infectious Diseases Internet Guides
- Bacterial and Fungal Diseases (Karolinska Institute Library)
Johns Hopkins Infectious Diseases (Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine--Division of Infectious Diseases)
Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (Hardin Library for the Health Sciences, University of Iowa)
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIH)
- Parasitic Diseases (Karolinska Institute Library)
- Virus Diseases (Karolinska Institute Library)
Infectious Diseases Electronic Books
- Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases (CDC)
- Infection Control Manual (Yale New Haven Hospital)
Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases (Mandell)
(MD Consult: Churchill Livingstone)
- Red Book: Report of the Committee on Infectious Diseases (MD Consult: American Academy of Pediatrics)
- Scientific American Medicine Online (WebMD)
Infectious Diseases Journals
- AIDS and Behavior (Springer)
- American Journal of Infection Control (Elsevier)
- Clinical Infectious Diseases (Oxford University Press)
- Clinical Microbiology and Infection (Elsevier)
- Diagnostic Microbiology & Infectious Disease (ScienceDirect (Elsevier))
- Emerging Infectious Diseases (CDC)
- Epidemiology and Infection (Cambridge University Press)
- European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (Springer)
- HIV Medicine (Wiley)
- Infection: A Journal of Infectious Disease (Springer)
- Infectious Disease Clinics of North America (MD Consult)
- Infectious Diseases in Obstetrics and Gynecology (Wiley Interscience)
- JAIDS : Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes (Lippincott Williams & Wilkins)
- Journal of Infectious Diseases (Oxford University Press)
- Microbial Ecology (Springer)
- MMWR Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Parasitology Research (Springer)
- Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal (Wolters Kluwer)
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (Wolters Kluwer)
- Sexually Transmitted Infections (BMJ)
Transplant Infectious Disease (Wiley)