Liberia- currently inactive
- John F. Kennedy Memorial Medical Center in Monrovia
- J&J Program in HEARTT (Health Education and Relief Through Teaching) consortium
- Affiliated with University of Liberia
- 200 beds
- 10 FT Physicians on staff
- Malaria and tropical infectious disease, upper respiratory tract infections, diarrheal disease, HIV and associated complications, trauma, maternal-fetal medicine.
- Inpatient: Rounds and inpatient general care of general medical and tropical disease. Primary patient care responsibilities with extremely limited resources.
- ER: Strong emphasis on provision of acute care to patients presenting with medical and surgical emergencies. Physicians will be responsible for ER call during this rotation as delay to definitive care is common. Physicians will be part of a rotating core of providers, with extension to inpatient care responsibility.
- Community outreach: Opportunity for participation in UN medical outreach flights to rural and underserved areas if qualified.
- Presentation of lectures required
- Taking call: No more than q-5 for inpatient care, call taken from home. No call for ER rotations.
- Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics
Length of Rotation
- Minimum of 6 week rotation, including travel from US
- Award amount: $3,000
- Secure on-campus housing provided at no cost
- No language requirements
- Paperwork: Liberian visa and Liberian Medical Board Application
- No excluded dates
Photos from Scholars
The Liberia rotation site for J&J Global Health Scholars has been suspended until further notice.