Indonesia - currently inactive
- Alam Sehat Lestari- a clinic in Sukadana, West Kalimantan, Borneo, where families are able to trade health care for labor on income-generating projects
- two hours from Ketapang airport
- 3 beds available (larger facility being built)
- 2 FT physicians see 25-35 complicated patients each day
- Malaria, tuberculosis, pertussis, diabetes, asthma, seizure disorders, psychiatric diseases - advanced stages of many common and rare diseases.
- Primary responsibility is bedside teaching with junior Indonesian doctors
- Inpatient: little- At most we have 3 in-patients and these are cared for by the nurses. Rarely there may be some night time responsibilities
- Outpatient: Very full; estimates that most would be admitted in US
- Community outreach: Frequent community meetings both for environmental protection and health promotion
- Frequent home visits
- No taking call
- No ER to staff
- No ICU
- Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Pediatrics, Family Practice
Length of Rotation
- Minimum of six weeks, including travel from US
- Reimbursement Award amount: $3000
- Shared housing available with our Indonesian staff and other volunteers
- No language requirements, our Indonesian physicians speak English
- Paperwork: Indonesian visa
- Excluded dates: break at the end of Ramadan and the end of December.
- Only one scholar at a time will be scheduled at this site. Accompanying visitors must be approved by Health In Harmony staff in advance.
Photos from Scholars