Greetings to all,
As a reminder: if you have colleagues who are interested in learning more about the GHEDP, please feel free to share the following links:
- Information about the Global Health & Equity Distinction Pathway: https://medicine.yale.edu/intmed/residency/pathways/equity/
- Recordings of all of the presentations: https://yale.app.box.com/s/tjx6h4zroqrrgdy63vz9ln62zzf4kh5a (The GHEDP section starts at 16:05 and ends at 22:45.)
- Applications for new Distinction members are due September 15th.
- Registration is now open for the Yale Conference for Alcohol Research and Education (Y-CARE) Saturday, September 10th 8am-3pm.
New and Notable
· Lancet Global Health Sept 2022: Enhanced bedside mortality prediction combining point-of-care lactate and the quick Sequential Organ Failure Assessment (qSOFA) score in patients hospitalised with suspected infection in southeast Asia: a cohort study
· BMC Medical Research Methodology Sept 2022: “We’re already doing this work”: ethical research with community-based organizations
· BMJ August 2022: How we classify countries and people—and why it matters
· Lancet Sept 2022: A new Lancet Commission on the future of health and economic resiliency in Africa
Upcoming Local Events: September
- Tuesday September 6th @ 5-630pm: Bioethical Aspects of Abortion and Abortion Law Discussion Panel
- Wednesday September 8th @ 2-3pm (in person at Fitkin and zoom): 6th Annual Schottenfeld Lecture: "A Public Health Approach to the Overdose Epidemic: Lessons Learned from Academia" by Dr. Chinazo Cunningham
- Thursday September 8th @ 3-4pm: Navigating Insurance Hurdles with MOUD
- Thursday September 8th @ 530-7pm SHM-L 115 (inside the Cushing/Whitney Medical Library): New Haven Voices Part 1: Understanding Where We Live, Work, and Play (focus on housing, jobs, and safety. Register here.
- Friday September 9th @ 9-10am in person at Harkness Memorial Auditorium with zoom option https://yale.zoom.us/j/94463525432: The Annual Samuel O. Their Lecture in Health Care Policy: Medical Grand Rounds: “A Conversation with the Surgeon General of the United States” Vivek Murthy MD
- Friday September 9th @ 9-3pm: Interactive Workshop: Foundations of Community Engaged Research
- Tuesday September 13th @12pm: Paul's Legacy and PIH's Path Forward Webinar Series: Training the Next Generation of Global Health Leaders. Register here.
- Monday September 19th @1030-2pm in person and on ZOOM: Boston University School of Public Health presents Towards Antiracist Academic Institutions: Next Steps.
- Monday September 19th @ 430-6pm in person 47 College Street, Room 106B and on ZOOM: Yale Institute for Global Health presents: Preparing for Future Pandemics and Other Biological Catastrophes
- Tuesday September 20th @ 9-10am: Social Determinants of Health and HIV Among Youth in High- and Low-Resource Settings: Lessons Learned from Multi-Country Research
- Thursday September 22nd @ 12pm zoom link TBD: The inaugural Dr. Inginia Genao Lecture in DEI will be given by Dr. Nancy Krieger, a renowned social epidemiologist and social justice advocate from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.
- Wednesday September 28th @ 430pm: Steven Thrasher discusses his book “The Viral Underclass: The Human Toll When Inequality and Disease Collide”
- Thursday, September 29: 5:30-7:00 pm TAC Auditorium: New Haven Voices Session 2: Growing and Becoming(focus on health care, education, and the environment. Register here.
- Friday October 14th @ 12pm: Paul's Legacy and PIH's Path Forward Webinar Series: Centering the Rights of Women, Children, and Adolescents. Register here.
- The application platform is now open for the Department of Internal Medicine’s Cross-Distinction Resident Academic Fund! Through this fund, residents will have the opportunity to apply for awards of up to $500 per year. This money is intended to cover costs associated with presenting your Distinction Pathway-related work at a local, regional, national, or international conference, or other academic activities related to your participation in the Distinction Pathway. All Distinction Pathway residents are encouraged to apply, however, preference will be given to PGY-3s and PGY-4s, as well as (in the future) residents who have not previously received an award from this fund. For more details, please see the November 1st email from Brett Marks. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis - https://yalesurvey.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_7NEkKKQS5XWEWF0
- To view prior seminars from the Yale Macmillan Center Program on Refugees, Forced Displacement & Humanitarian Responses, please visit/subscribe to the PRFDHR YouTube channel
- Missed a great webinar? Take a look at the Physicians for Human Rights online archive of COVID-19-related webinars, and also check out the Partners in Health COVID-19 Webinar series archive
- Join the Good Society Forum: Launched in April 2020 by Emma Sky (Director, Yale World Fellows) and Nizam Uddin (Senior Head of Mosaic and Community Integration, The Prince’s Trust, and 2019 Yale World Fellow), the twice-weekly GSF Webinars digitally connect change-makers around the world, engage them on ideas about a specific challenge of the day, and inspire action to build the good society. To subscribe to the GSF mailing list, visit - https://mailchi.mp/5922abe55ef6/joingoodsocietyforum
- Yale Institute for Global Health website: https://medicine.yale.edu/yigh/ - subscribe to their newsletter and follow YIGH on Twitter and Facebook
- Global Health Journal List blog entry (https://guides.lib.wayne.edu/choosingajournal/globalhealth) - an interesting and fairly comprehensive list of global health journals! Good for folks who are interested in thinking about what to read or where you might like to publish.
- Sign up for the Global Mental Health Program mailing list: https://medicine.yale.edu/psychiatry/globalmentalhealth/
- Link to the Macmillan Center calendar - Please visit this site for a list of upcoming events:http://calendar.yale.edu/cal/macmillan
- Subscribe to the daily “Global Health NOW” newsletter: http://www.globalhealthnow.org/subscribe.html
Tracy and Sheela
Co-Directors, Yale Global Health & Equity Distinction Pathway