Greetings, all –
- Virtual Global Health Conference Registration Deadlines:
- Consortium of Universities for Global Health Virtual Conference: Healthy People, Healthy Planet, Social Justice – March 28-April 1, 2022. (And [free] virtual satellite sessions: March 21-25, 2022.) Please visit the conference website for more informationhttps://www.cugh2022.org (Early registration discounts end on January 31st!)
- Unite for Sight Global Health and Innovations Conference – April 21-22, 2022. Please visit the conference website for more information about the conference and registration instructions: https://ghic.uniteforsight.org
- Announcing the annual IRIS Run for Refugees! Register to join the IRIS 5K run/walk in New Haven (or virtually) on February 13th – visit the race website for more information: https://runsignup.com/Race/CT/NewHaven/IRISRunforRefugees
- The National Institutes of Health will host Advancing Environmental Health Equity Through Implementation Science on Monday Feb 28 (11-5pm EST) and Tuesday March 1st (11-445pm EST). For more information and to register, click here.
- Fordham University is offering a HIV and Drug Abuse Prevention Research Ethics Training Institute July 18-22, 2022 and July 2023. Deadline to apply is Feb 23rd, 2022. For more info, click here.
- Stanford University and the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine announce a new Planetary Health Postdoctoral Fellowship. Applications due January 31, 2022. Learn more here.
- Yale Institute for Global Health is hosting Dr. David Miliband, President and CEO of International Rescue Committee speaking on “Sustaining Health and Well-Being in the Face of Disaster” on Wednesday February 16th at 4pm. Click here.
- Applications are now being accepted for the inaugural Yogesh Khanal Pilot Project Award! This opportunity provides $2500 for a mentored clinical research or medical education project over 12 months. The deadline for applications is March 1, 11:59pm. Please contact Sheela.Shenoi@yale.edu with questions.
New and Notable
· Lancet Global Health Jan 2022: The effect of primary health care on tuberculosis in a nationwide cohort of 7·3 million Brazilian people: a quasi-experimental study
· NEJM Jan 2022: Secondary Antibiotic Prophylaxis for Latent Rheumatic Heart Disease
· JAMA Jan 2022: The Pandemic Preparedness Program: Reimagining Public Health
Upcoming Local Events: January/February
- Thursday, January 27th @ 830am (zoom): Medical Grand Rounds: “Climate Change and Human Health: Health Care Systems Impact on the Environment” by Dr. Emmy Coleman. Zoom: 948 9676 6303 Password: 339344.
- Thursday, January 27th @ 730am (zoom): General Internal Medicine Grand Rounds: "Pre-exposure Prophylaxis for HIV" by Dr. Michael Virata, Yale School of Medicine Section of Infectious Diseases.
- Thursday, January 27th @ 12-1pm (zoom): The Yale Center for Climate Change & Health presents “Geoengineering for Climate Crisis Mitigation: Accountability, Transparency, and Democracy” by Stephen Latham JD PhD, Director of the Yale Interdisciplinary Center for Bioethics. Register here.
- Tuesday, February 1st @ 2:30-3:45pm (Zoom): Yale Program on Refugees, Forced Displacement, and Humanitarian Responses presents, “What is Home? Stories of Belonging from the New Syrian Diaspora,” featuring Professor Wendy Pearlman (Department of Political Science, Northwestern University). Please click this link to register for this seminar and others in the Spring Series.
- Wednesday, February 2nd @ 5-6:30pm (Zoom): Yale Program on Biomedical Ethics presents, “A Political History of Patient Safety and Human Subject Ethics in Randomized Controlled Trials,” featuring Laura Bothwell, PhD, MPhil, MA (Associate Research Scientist in Epidemiology [Microbial Diseases], Yale School of Public Health). Please click this link to register.
- The application platform is now open for the Department of Internal Medicine’s Cross-Distinction Resident Academic Fund! Through this fund, residents will have the opportunity to apply for awards of up to $500 per year. This money is intended to cover costs associated with presenting your Distinction Pathway-related work at a local, regional, national, or international conference, or other academic activities related to your participation in the Distinction Pathway. All Distinction Pathway residents are encouraged to apply, however, preference will be given to PGY-3s and PGY-4s, as well as (in the future) residents who have not previously received an award from this fund. For more details, please see the November 1st email from Brett Marks. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis - https://yalesurvey.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_7NEkKKQS5XWEWF0
- To view prior seminars from the Yale Macmillan Center Program on Refugees, Forced Displacement & Humanitarian Responses, please visit/subscribe to the PRFDHR YouTube channel
- Missed a great webinar? Take a look at the Physicians for Human Rights online archive of COVID-19-related webinars, and also check out the Partners in Health COVID-19 Webinar series archive
- Join the Good Society Forum: Launched in April 2020 by Emma Sky (Director, Yale World Fellows) and Nizam Uddin (Senior Head of Mosaic and Community Integration, The Prince’s Trust, and 2019 Yale World Fellow), the twice-weekly GSF Webinars digitally connect change-makers around the world, engage them on ideas about a specific challenge of the day, and inspire action to build the good society. To subscribe to the GSF mailing list, visit - https://mailchi.mp/5922abe55ef6/joingoodsocietyforum
- Yale Institute for Global Health website: https://medicine.yale.edu/yigh/ - subscribe to their newsletter and follow YIGH on Twitter and Facebook
- Global Health Journal List blog entry (https://guides.lib.wayne.edu/choosingajournal/globalhealth) - an interesting and fairly comprehensive list of global health journals! Good for folks who are interested in thinking about what to read or where you might like to publish.
- Sign up for the Global Mental Health Program mailing list: https://medicine.yale.edu/psychiatry/globalmentalhealth/
- Link to the Macmillan Center calendar - Please visit this site for a list of upcoming events:http://calendar.yale.edu/cal/macmillan
- Subscribe to the daily “Global Health NOW” newsletter: http://www.globalhealthnow.org/subscribe.html
Tracy and Sheela
Co-Directors, Yale Global Health & Equity Distinction Pathway
Submitted by Laura P. Crawford on January 27, 2022