Directions for requesting approval of an IHE
If you are an Internal Medicine resident at YNHH and would like to carry out an International Health Elective, you have several choices:
- Apply in December for the coming academic year to the Yale/Stanford J&J Global Health Scholars.
- Submit paperwork for a rotation to one of the Office of Global Health sites at least four months before your proposed elective begins. Your program director would need to sign off, you will need to meet with either Dr. Rastegar or Dr. Rabin and you would be responsible for the costs of the rotation. (complete Form A, see below)
- Submit paperwork for a rotation to an independent site at least four months before your proposed elective begins. Your program director would need to sign off, and you would be responsible for the costs of the rotation. You would need a detailed letter from the physician supervising you at your host institution and you will need to meet with Dr. Rastegar.(complete Forms B and C, see below)
If you are a resident with another training program at Yale, you will need to speak with your Program Director about your interest in the Department of Medicine’s Office of Global Health sites.
Your Program Director should contact Dr. Rastegar after discussing your objectives, available financial support for the rotation, and whether your salary would continue during the proposed rotation. You will need to meet with Dr. Rastegar or Dr. Rabin. (Complete Forms A and C, below)
A. Standard Off-Site Elective Request Form for YNHH Residents
B. Independent Site Request for YNHH Residents in Internal Medicine
All residents going abroad through the Office of Global Health will also need to submit the following to the Office:
- Signed Waiver
- Copy of their travel itinerary
- A cell phone number during rotation
- Report on rotation upon their return
- Mentor Physician’s evaluation of their performance