The overall goal of the Pilot/Exploratory Studies Core (PESC) is to facilitate the development of innovative and methodologically rigorous research studies designed to enhance our understanding of the etiology, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of multi-factorial geriatric health conditions (the stated focus of the Yale OAIC 1) leading ultimately to the development of efficacious and cost-effective interventions to increase or maintain independence for older Americans.
The specific goals of the core are:
- to solicit and select the most meritorious research proposals for PESC funding;
- to provide investigators of PESC studies with access to resources from the other OAIC Cores;
- to identify potential opportunities for co-sponsorship of PESC studies;
- to identify potential opportunities for collaboration among PESC investigators;
- to monitor the progress of the PESC studies;
- to provide assistance so that the PESC studies can be successfully developed into independently funded grant applications;
- to ensure the safety and protection of human subjects enrolled in PESC studies; and
- to ensure that PESC studies enroll a substantial proportion of underrepresented minorities.