Demonstrate commitment to excellence, honesty, respect for others, integrity, and altruism in patient care.
- Treat all patients, staff, and colleagues with respect, which includes maintaining a professional demeanor in speech and dress
- Strive for excellence
- Place the care of your patients above competing interests
Professionalism should imbue all aspects of your performance and cannot really be taught in isolation. However, there are weekly sessions throughout the 8 week block taught by core senior faculty about important issues of professionalism including:
- Navigating the wards- your role in the team, working with mid-level and ancillary providers, etc.
- Approaching medical errors
- Palliative Care
- Communicating difficult news
Formative and summative feedback will be obtained from the ward team using a structured evaluation instrument. The clerkship director will evaluate portfolio submissions and your interactions with them as well (including timeliness, attitude, initiative). How you treat staff, nurses, and all members of the health care team can play a role in this evaluation, though the clerkship does not specifically seek out formal feedback from these individuals.