Please see the attendance policy. If you need to be absent for reasons of illness, please notify your resident no later than 8:30 a.m. so that your patients may continue to receive essential medical care. Excused absence to attend scientific meetings, etc., must be obtained from the clerkship coordinator.
For participation in a conference where the student is the lead author/presenter, or directly participating in the conference presentation, please reference 1, 2 & 3 below:
1. No later than 60 days prior to the start of the 12-week clerkship during which the conference will take place, the student should email the co-directors and coordinators of the integrated 12-week clerkship. This email must include the completed form, “Request for Conference Absence from a Clerkship”. For an absence during the first 12-week rotation of the clerkship year, the request should be submitted as soon as the student’s clerkship schedule is known.
2. A student may take only one absence to participate in a research conference in a 12-month clerkship year. Requests for additional conference-related absences must be reviewed by the clerkship director in conjunction with the student’s academic advisor.
3. As a general rule, absence to participate in a research conference is not permitted on subinternships.
Dress and Deportment
To many patients and members of the hospital staff, bizarre dress or an unkempt appearance are as disturbing as unprofessional behavior would be. The ultimate responsibility for dress and deportment on the medical services of our affiliated hospitals rests with the Chief of Service at each of the hospitals. If a resident or attending physician to whom a student is assigned feels the student is showing unprofessional dress, deportment or demeanor, he should report the matter to the Chief of Service for appropriate action.
There are certain priorities to recognize in approaching your Medicine clerkship. The teaching program can be divided into:
- General Teaching Program. This includes case oriented teaching by residents and attending staff, including work rounds, attending rounds and consult rounds. Didactic conferences including medical grand rounds, professor's rounds and noon conferences also fit into this category.
- Student Oriented Sessions. These include the Case Discussions, the radiology and EKG conferences, and Student Report.