Scholarship & Housing
Scholarship: The Yale Visiting Program for Students Underrepresented in Medicine is offering a scholarship to U.S. medical students eligible and approved to participate in the program. The YVPSUM scholarship will pay up to $1500 to assist in travel and lodging while students rotate in an Internal Medicine elective at Yale New Haven Hospital and participate in the program. Scholarship funds are provided in the form of a check to visiting medical students after their medicine elective rotation at Yale ends.
Housing: The program does not offer housing for visiting medical students approved to participate. After you are approved to participate, the program will send you a list of housing resources so you may secure housing for yourself in New Haven, Conn.
- Fourth-year medical students
- Students who have completed all core clinical clerkships before participating in the program (YVPSUM)
- Students who are in good standing in a medical school at a U.S. LCME accredited allopathic institution (are enrolled in medical degree-granting programs).
- Students from groups underrepresented in medicine, specifically Hispanic (Mexican, Chicano, or Mainland Puerto Rican), Other Hispanic (Cuban, Dominican, or other), Black/African-American (not of Hispanic origin), Native American or Asian Pacific Islander.
- Attend or are graduated from non-U.S. medical schools
- Attend medical schools that are not LCME accredited by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)
- Foreign medical students on an F-1 Visa who attend U.S. medical schools
- Are not from groups underrepresented in Medicine
Program DetailsThe program (YVPSUM) is offered during 12 of the 13 AY2018-19 Yale School of Medicine elective blocks rotation dates. Block 1 (6/18/2018 thru 7/13/2018) the program is not offered. You’ll have the option of choosing the Yale AY2018-19 elective block rotation dates you prefer when you submit your VSAS application to Yale for a clinical medicine elective.
Application Process and Requirements:
- Applicants must meet all the eligibility criteria listed above to apply to the program (YVPSUM).
- The Yale VSAS (AAMC Visiting Student Application Service) opened January 22, 2018 to all visiting medical students who wish to apply for visiting student elective rotations during the AY2018-2019 beginning in June 2018.
- All students from U.S. LCME accredited allopathic institutions wishing to visit Yale SOM for a clinical elective during the AY2018-2019 are required to apply using the AAMC Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS).
- We suggest you apply to more than 1 of the Internal Medicine electives listed above.
- The AAMC VSAS application fee is $40
- For AY2018-19, the program (YVPSUM) will waive the Yale School of Medicine $200 application processing fee for those students who're approved and confirmed to participate in the program.
- 1) Submitted your VSAS application to the Yale School of Medicine, Internal Medicine ___________________ Elective AND…
- 2) That you are interested in participating in the Yale Visiting Program for Students Underrepresented in Medicine during your Yale medicine elective rotation
- NOTE: All students will be notified by email about the status of their application to the program (YVPSUM).