The key to effective management of your disease is coordinated care among specially trained, internationally known physicians with expertise in inflammatory bowel disease. The Yale Inflammatory Bowel Disease Program will offer you expertise in gastroenterology, surgery, pathology, and radiology. Weekly meetings are held to discuss medical and surgical issues about our patients.
Treatment for ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease usually begins with medical therapy. While surgery can be a primary therapy for certain symptoms of IBD, it is usually reserved as a adjunct for medical therapy. At Yale, the goal of GI surgery is to restore function, using bowel-conserving surgery, including minimally invasive surgery where appropriate.
Special Services Offered
- Coordinated medical and surgical visits
- Weekly multidisciplinary team meetings
- Participation in clinical studies
- The WOCN certified ostomy and wound care nurse works with patients and their families pre- and post- operatively teaching ostomy care and providing support.
- Support Groups
- Patient education www.ccfa.org