Petty Cash Reimbursements

The Petty cash reimbursement limit is $300 per voucher. More than one voucher may be submitted. However, the cumulative total may not exceed $600 per person/per day.

The cash limit for confidential study subject reimbursements is $1,000 per day.  More than one voucher may be submitted.  However, funds exceeding $1,000 will be issued in American Express Traveler's Checks until May 31, 2014 at which time Traveler's Checks will be discontinued

The following alternatives to traveler’s checks are available:

1. Pcard

Please obtain and use a PCard for travel and department expenses. If you would like to apply for a University PCard, contact Yale Purchasing Card Office at 2-3227 or email  PCard questions can also be directed to Kathy Kennedy-Chambers at or 2-9977. Please allow two weeks for delivery of your new PCard.

2. Prepaid VISA Cards

For frequent travelers reloadable prepaid Visa cards are available. For study subject payments Visa gift cards are available. Please allow two weeks for delivery of your prepaid Visa cards. For further information please see Prepaid Card FAQs. Please contact to order cards.

3. Travel/Expense Advance

Submit your completed and approved Travel or Expense Advance form 3301 to Accounts Payable at for disbursement in the form of a check or direct deposit and put the SPR/SPA or TEAR # in the Subject Line.  If you have any questions, you may contact or call 2-5394.

4. The cash limit

The cash limit  at the Treasury window has been raised to $1,000.00 for travel advances and study subject advances and replenishment.


Please be sure to include the following information on the voucher: HIC #, title of the study, and the number of study subjects being reimbursed with the funds.
Petty cash and confidential study subject reimbursements must be accompanied by a completed Petty Cash Fund Voucher form signed by an authorized representative of the departmental business office. With the exception of mileage allowances, per diem meal allowances and confidential study subject payments, all reimbursement requests must have the original receipt attached.  Photocopies of receipts are not acceptable.

Lost receipt? Please click here!

Only Yale University or YNHH employees may obtain petty cash reimbursements from the YSM Business Office. All individuals are required to show a valid Yale/YNHH ID when requesting reimbursement. No other ID will be acceptable.

It is the responsibility of the department business office to ensure that individuals have the required documentation and identification prior to sending them to the YSM Business Office. Please make sure that the amounts, charging instructions, and information on the form are complete and accurate. Please use the following guidelines:

  • Mileage Reimbursement
    Please indicate on a Petty Cash Voucher the nature and destination of the travel and the number of miles.
  • Meal Reimbursement
    If using a per diem allowance, please include the location of the trip. If seeking reimbursement for a business meal, please include the names of attendees and the purpose of the meeting.
  • Salary or Payments for Services
    Salary or payments for services of any kind cannot be reimbursed from petty cash under any circumstances.
  • Non-Confidential Study Subject Payments must be processed through the Accounts Payable Department.

Please refer to the Petty Cash Procedures for the University's general policies regarding allowable reimbursements.