Thank you for volunteering your time every week to help further our education. Your guidance and commitment to teaching was extremely valuable and the skills we learned will be reflected in our future practice.
Teach Yale School of Medicine Students
Precepting in your Office
Contact: Peter Ellis
Interprofessional Longitudinal Clinical Experience (ILCE) Faculty Tutor
Yale medical and Physician Associate students are tutored together on a team in the clinical environment. The focus is on practicing interview and physical exam skills. Faculty tutors work with students one half day per week for 16 weeks.
Contact: Barry Wu
Medical Clinical Experience (MCE) Faculty Tutor
Teams of four second-year medical students work with a faculty tutor to further hone their clinical skills in interview, physical exam, and clinical reasoning, and develop their identity as future physicians in preparation for clerkships. Tutors work with students one half day per week for 23 weeks.
Contact: Barry Wu
Teaching Clinical Skills
Share your skills and knowledge to train first and second-year medical students in interview, physical exam, and clinical reasoning skills. Clinical Skills workshops occur Tuesday and Thursday afternoons throughout the academic year in our Clinical Skills Suite.
Contact: Jaideep Talwalkar
Join the Yale Teaching Faculty
The Voluntary Faculty make a valuable contribution to the educational programs at Yale School of Medicine. They are typically clinicians or others who are employed outside of Yale School of Medicine, but make significant contributions to department programs.
When you teach Yale medical students, you are eligible to join the Yale teaching faculty by applying for a Faculty Appointment in the Voluntary Faculty Rank in the department of your specialty. Each department has established guidelines for required participation.
Resources & Benefits
Your Yale Faculty ID Card gives you employee membership rates at:
- The Payne Whitney Gymnasium
- Yale's golf club: The Course at Yale
- The Yale Outdoor Education Center
- The Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History: Free Admission
- Yale Athletics: Free football tickets and employee discounted basketball and hockey tickets
- Yale employee discount at Yale Repertory Theatre
- Resources at the Yale University Art Gallery and the Yale Center for British Art
- Yale Film Society screenings
- Year-round discounts at selected local merchants with your Yale ID
Cushing/Whitney Medical Library Services and Resources for Voluntary Faculty
- Online access to more than 20,000 leading health sciences journals, such as the NEJM, The Lancet, JAMA, and Annals of Internal Medicine
- Free, remote access to leading point-of-care tools including: UpToDate, ClinicalKey, DynaMed Plus, PubMed
- Access to STATPlus to get daily updates on medical, biopharma, and life sciences news
- Full access to library services, including expert librarian assistance, and evidence-based research support during rounds
- Free workshops on a wide range of library resources and tools
- For more information visit the Cushing/Whitney Medical Library website
Continuing Medical Education
To show our appreciation for voluntary faculty teaching our medical students, we provide you with:
- Up to two free on-campus live CME courses that are accredited and sponsored by the Yale School of Medicine, Office of Continuing Medical Education (YSM CME)
- Ten hours per year of online YSM CME courses
- All CME educator development sessions sponsored by the Center for Medical Education including the Medical Education Discussion Group Series and Medical Education Day at Yale
- AMA Category 1 CME Credit for Learning from Teaching
- CME credited Faculty Development
Hear About Preceptor Experiences
- December 01, 2023
Learning To Be A Physician Through Relationships
- December 05, 2022
Teaching is Much of What Drives Dr. Mellisa Pensa to Practice Medicine
- September 19, 2022
Richard Moscarelli, MD, Lauded as a Champion for Medical Education
- June 28, 2022
The Human Touch in Teaching
- November 15, 2021
Matthew Nwosu, MD, is Committed to "Mentoring Forward"
- September 27, 2021
Mentoring Yale MD Students Enriches Irina Schiopescu's Career
Interested in Being a Preceptor?
Contact Susan Larkin, Associate Director, Office of Curriculum, Medical Education
YSM Office of Curriculum
To learn more about mentoring Yale School of Medicine Students, contact us.