Yale-New Haven offers its residents a comprehensive benefits package. The following is a summary of the various house staff benefits offered at Yale-New Haven Hospital.
Greater than $1,200 is provided to each resident annually to defer expenses related to resident education. Additional funding is provided for regional and national conferences when representing the residency on leadership committees. Free courses in advanced trauma life support (ATLS), pediatric advanced life support (PALS), Advanced Wilderness life support (AWLS) and advanced cardiac life support (ACLS) courses are offered.
The Department of Emergency Medicine pays membership dues for the following professional societies.
- American College of Emergency Physicians
- Connecticut College of Emergency Physicians (included with ACEP membership)
- Emergency Medicine Resident Association
- Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Family/Medical Leave of Absence
Long Term Disability
Employee Assistance Program
Financial Benefits Program
Yale-New Haven Federal Credit Union: savings, checking, mortgages and other services.
Bank of America: free checking with direct deposit, automatic teller machines, and preferred credit, in addition to all other banking needs.
- Direct deposit in participating banks
- U.S. Savings Bonds.
- Tax-sheltered annuities.
Health Care Coverage
Health, vision and dental insurance is available for house staff, their spouses/domestic partners and dependents. Yale-New Haven Hospital Advantage Plus Plan
This plan is know as “Anthem BC/BS Century Preferred”, a preferred provider organization (PPO) type of plan. That is, certain doctors, hospitals, and other providers have agreed to provide services under the plan at negotiated rates. In addition, you generally won't have to file a claim when you go to a PPO provider. Under this plan you are also free to go to a non-PPO doctor or other provider of your choice, although the benefits you receive will generally be less and, in most cases, you will be required to file a claim to receive benefits.
- Delta Dental Insurance: You will be able to choose dental coverage at an additional charge under one of the following plans.
- -Delta Dental Basic: provides coverage for routine preventive and restorative services.
- -Delta Dental Plus: provides coverage for preventive, restorative, major and orthodontic services. The higher premiums include the services of the basic plan and provide additional coverage for major restorative and orthodontic services.
Both plans provide 100% coverage for routine preventive services.
- Prescription Drug Plan: Your prescriptions will be covered automatically under a program administered by CVS Caremark, one of the country's largest prescription drug administrators. This program offers two cost effective ways to fill prescriptions for covered drugs and medications: at participating retail pharmacies and, when you need maintenance drugs, by order through the mail.
- Vision Service Plan: For an additional charge, a vision service plan is offered to help offset the costs of eye examinations, corrective lenses, frames, and contact lenses.
House staff electing to waive medical coverage offered by the hospital will receive the following credits:
- Full-Time house staff - will be given an $800 annual credit.
- Part-Time house staff - will be given a $300 annual credit.
Same Gender Domestic Partner Coverage
Health care coverage will be available for documented same gender spousal equivalents. An affidavit of spousal equivalency form must be filed as part of the medical plan enrollment process.
House staff may use the Hospital's Fertility Assistance Program which pays a benefit of up to a lifetime maximum of $2,000 per person to treat infertility.
Expenses will be reimbursed up to $2,000 maximum per child for legal and court fees, agency fees, foreign adoption charges, transportation expenses for bringing the child from a foreign country to the United States, transportation expenses for visiting the child, and maternity expenses not covered for the birth mother.
Personal Insurance Options
House staff may have the opportunity to purchase homeowner, automobile, boat, condominium and/or personal liability insurance at a discount through payroll deductions. This program is an individual policy and subject to the guidelines of AGI (800-256-7385).
Other Insurance Benefits
These benefits are provided to house staff at no cost to the resident.
- Group Life Insurance: Regular full-time resident staff members are covered for $100,000 as of the first day of employment. This term life insurance has no cash value and pays a benefit to your chosen beneficiaries if you die.
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment: The life insurance policy provides $100,000 coverage for accidental death and dismemberment while traveling on hospital business.
- Insurance Benefit for Terminally Ill: The group life insurance program allows the house staff family to obtain financial relief during an extremely stressful period. Terminally ill house staff may request to have a portion of the life insurance amount paid prior to death. Certain circumstances may qualify a resident to receive a lump sum payment of up to 50 percent of the life insurance amount.
- House Staff Loans: Loans of $500 are available to house staff in need through the House Staff Office, Tompkins 209. The maximum loan during residency cannot exceed $1,000. These loans are interest-free during training, start accumulating interest upon completion of appointment, and are due and payable three years after appointment completion.
- On call rooms for every service
- Food fund credit
- A lounge for house staff with TV, VCR, 24-hour brewed coffee, food provided every night, refrigerator, computers
- Spouse/domestic partner Yale ID